R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #15451
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Not doubting, but what's the reasoning for that? It doesn't make sense that they should be separate. What makes sense to me that the esc has a maximum amount of braking power that can be applied, no matter what. That would be reduced with the brake strength setting. With 0 trigger, you'd get none of it, and with full trigger, you'd get all of it. Then drag brake would simply change the "no trigger" point to be higher than zero, but full trigger would still be full trigger. Clearly it doesn't work that way.

So can I, with timing boost and a higher gear ratio.

See that's the thing, it makes sense that maximum braking potential would be less with a lower gear ratio, but it's like the car has no brakes at all with the trigger at low speeds, where it should still be able to stop flat. It's like the speedo's not even trying. But yet the drag brake has no problems, and will stop the car in its tracks once it gets below a certain speed.

Keep in mind I'm running sensored, but with the boost turned off. Perhaps I should try adding like 1 degree of timing boost, and see what happens.

-Mike
Why should there be brakes at low speeds? This is a race esc.

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship
cyanyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #15452
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default v208 Sneak Preview

Here are a few things about v208 that you may be interested to know.

First of all, pretty much everything is the same regarding timing advance, boost (start/end RPM), turbo (delay, ramp), etc. However, it's laid out differently, with tabs across the top of the Hotwire screen separating five sections:

- Dashboard (overview/summary)
- Setup (voltage cutoff, motor type, timing profile -- more on this later)
- Brake (drag brake, brake strength, push control)
- Throttle (throttle profile, neutral width, current limit, rev speed)
- Timing (timing advance, boost, turbo and related settings)

This unclutters things and gets those "set and forget" settings out of the way. Things are a little more spread out and thus will be easier to read in the sunlight at the track. Still the familiar black & red Optimus Prime look, but tweaked to be easier to read.

Probably the biggest thing is that there are 5 pre-defined and 2 user-configurable sets of timing settings, all of which can be selected via the buttons on the ESC, so most users will be pulling out the laptop a lot less. I foresee that many of the Sportsman-level racers I help will do away with it altogether and stick with the built-in profiles.

So, with the 2 user-configurable profiles you can save two completely different setups to the ESC (above and beyond the factory ones) and toggle between them without the Hotwire.

It's like having a blue ESC and a Tekin all in one -- a ready-to-use variety of built-in timing profiles PLUS two of your own custom profiles all on board at once.

Here are the built-in timing profiles. They are all sensored-only and set boost and start/end RPM. There is no turbo in the built-in profiles. All other non-timing related settings are available as before.

1) zero boost, zero turbo. This is the stock spec profile, and the ESC flashes constantly to indicate when this profile is in use. The ESC is legal for ROAR Sportsman competition with this profile.

Timing profiles 2-5 all use 5443 and 20016 as the boost start and end RPM, respectively.

2) 15 boost

3) 25 boost

4) 35 boost

5) 45 boost

At first I was surprised that there was no turbo in at least profile 4 or 5. It makes sense now though. The majority of club racers will be very well served by one of the included profiles, and these are safe (but still fast) profiles to include for broad distribution, similar to the competition. Not nearly as easy to smoke a motor with these. Those of us who want to wring every last drop out of it, and accept the risks involved, can tune things just like we do with v203, and save two different setups to boot. It's the best of both worlds.

Brakes are supposed to be a lot better as well! So much so that Randy told us to get used to it in practice before using it in competition. I'm not one who has had brake complaints in the first place so I can't say yet for sure, but hopefully it will help those of you who have.

Another big thing is that you can now set start and end RPM for the timing advance in dual mode, just like for boost in sensored mode.

Some screenshots:

Last edited by reenmachine; 07-10-2010 at 09:11 AM.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #15453
Tech Elite

Quote:
Not doubting, but what's the reasoning for that? It doesn't make sense that they should be separate. What makes sense to me that the esc has a maximum amount of braking power that can be applied, no matter what. That would be reduced with the brake strength setting. With 0 trigger, you'd get none of it, and with full trigger, you'd get all of it. Then drag brake would simply change the "no trigger" point to be higher than zero, but full trigger would still be full trigger. Clearly it doesn't work that way.
This is from what I read about the latest software when it was released. I think there are two distinct signals for drag brake and brake. That's why I said they should work separately. Of course when you have some drag brake dialled in and apply the brakes there should be both signals present (unless drag brake is cancelled by the software when another trigger input is present, be it acceleration or brake). Team Tekin can enlighten us here once again.

Quote:
So can I, with timing boost and a higher gear ratio.
What I meant was that I can lock the brakes with the brake action, not by raising the gear ratio. I never run without any boost, interesting observation.

Quote:
See that's the thing, it makes sense that maximum braking potential would be less with a lower gear ratio, but it's like the car has no brakes at all with the trigger at low speeds, where it should still be able to stop flat. It's like the speedo's not even trying. But yet the drag brake has no problems, and will stop the car in its tracks once it gets below a certain speed.

Keep in mind I'm running sensored, but with the boost turned off. Perhaps I should try adding like 1 degree of timing boost, and see what happens.

-Mike
I understand your problem. Can you borrow another speedy and/or motor like yours and try the same setup to see if the brakes work then? This may point to some subtle problem with the software installation/execution in your ESC or the motor itself. Adding boost of course is a good test too.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #15454
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Pete,

A few questions for you:

1. Can we set a custom start rpm - meaning we don't pick from the "calculated" rpm list?
Edit: Nevermind, I was retarded. I looked at the snapshots again, and I saw the "calc".

2. Is timing advanced disabled when you set it to sensored mode? Judging from the snapshots, it looks like you could set it.

I can't wait to get my hands on that version so I can start testing again.

Last edited by bukil; 07-10-2010 at 12:58 AM.
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:04 AM   #15455
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Here are a few things about v208 that you may be interested to know.

First of all, pretty much everything is the same regarding timing advance, boost (start/end RPM), turbo (delay, ramp), etc. However, it's laid out differently, with tabs across the top of the Hotwire screen separating five sections:

- Dashboard (overview/summary)
- Setup (voltage cutoff, motor type, timing profile -- more on this later)
- Brake (drag brake, brake strength, push control)
- Throttle (throttle profile, neutral width, current limit, rev speed)
- Timing (timing advance, boost, turbo and related settings)

This unclutters things and gets those "set and forget" settings out of the way. Things are a little more spread out and thus will be easier to read in the sunlight at the track. Still the familiar black & red Optimus Prime look, but tweaked to be easier to read.

Probably the biggest thing is that there are 5 pre-defined and 2 user-configurable sets of timing settings, all of which can be selected via the buttons on the ESC, so most users will be pulling out the laptop a lot less. I foresee that many of the Sportsman-level racers I help will do away with it altogether and stick with the built-in profiles.

So, with the 2 user-configurable profiles you can save two completely different setups to the ESC (above and beyond the factory ones) and toggle between them without the Hotwire.

It's like having a blue ESC and a Tekin all in one -- a ready-to-use variety of built-in timing profiles PLUS two of your own custom profiles all on board at once.

Here are the built-in timing profiles. They are all sensored-only and set boost and start/end RPM. There is no turbo in the built-in profiles. All other non-timing related settings are available as before.

1) zero boost, zero turbo. This is the stock spec profile, and the ESC flashes constantly to indicate when this profile is in use. The ESC is legal for ROAR Sportsman competition with this profile.

Timing profiles 2-5 all use 5443 and 20016 as the boost start and end RPM, respectively.

2) 15 boost

3) 25 boost

4) 35 boost

5) 45 boost

At first I was surprised that there was no turbo in at least profile 4 or 5. It makes sense now though. The majority of club racers will be very well served by one of the included profiles, and these are safe (but still fast) profiles to include for broad distribution, similar to the competition. Not nearly as easy to smoke a motor with these. Those of us who want to wring every last drop out of it, and accept the risks involved, can tune things just like we do with v203, and save two different setups to boot. It's the best of both worlds.

Brakes are supposed to be a lot better as well! So much so that Randy told us to get used to it in practice before using it in competition. I'm not one who has had brake complaints in the first place so I can't say yet for sure, but hopefully it will help those of you who have.

Some screenshots:

i think allot of people are going to happy with this,it 's very user friendly
Old 07-10-2010, 06:43 AM   #15456
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Will we have to use the profile 1 in the 12 scale 17.5 from now on, or will be be able to use any of the other profiles. thanks
mike
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #15457
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Will we have to use the profile 1 in the 12 scale 17.5 from now on, or will be be able to use any of the other profiles. thanks
mike
profile one is for tc stock,the 2-5 setting are tc,there should be a profile that is for mod tc and 1/12th applications,this is my guesstimation but randy or jim will clarify it
Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #15458
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Hmm, yes we will need a 1S blinking light stock mode for 12th scale too, preferably without laptop to set it.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #15459
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE View Post
profile one is for tc stock,the 2-5 setting are tc,there should be a profile that is for mod tc and 1/12th applications,this is my guesstimation but randy or jim will clarify it
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Hmm, yes we will need a 1S blinking light stock mode for 12th scale too, preferably without laptop to set it.
1S mode can be enabled with any of the timing profiles.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #15460
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukil View Post
Pete,

A few questions for you:

1. Can we set a custom start rpm - meaning we don't pick from the "calculated" rpm list?
Edit: Nevermind, I was retarded. I looked at the snapshots again, and I saw the "calc".

2. Is timing advanced disabled when you set it to sensored mode? Judging from the snapshots, it looks like you could set it.

I can't wait to get my hands on that version so I can start testing again.
Mark,
Yes, boost RPM is handled the same way as before.

You can still adjust dual-mode/sensorless timing advance when in sensored mode. If you're running sensored you still want to set that in case of a sensor wire failure. You could do that with v203 too but it wasn't as obvious.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #15461
Tech Elite

Another big thing I neglected to mention is that you can now set start and end RPM for the timing advance in dual mode, just like for boost in sensored mode.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #15462
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Any hints when this will be available
Old 07-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #15463
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
1S mode can be enabled with any of the timing profiles.
good,that's why i said guesstimation
Old 07-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #15464
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Has the feeling of the ESC in the middle been improved? It feels very soft from about 0% to 75% throttle.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #15465
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Has the feeling of the ESC in the middle been improved? It feels very soft from about 0% to 75% throttle.
You probably have already tried this, but I will post it anyway. I add motor timing in small increments to fix the "softness".
bukil is offline   Reply With Quote