R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #15226
Tech Apprentice

Default Poor Brakes

Hi,

Anyone get any suggestions for improved brakes.
My car never wants to stop when braking from full throttle. - It seems I have to brake about 3-5m before I normally would allowing others to catch.

I tried back to back yesterday with my SXX and the brakes were great in comparison - but the SXX lacked top speed.

I want to persevere with the Tekin but it has never been great on brakes - I have changed several motors but to no avail.

I have reset the Transmitter several times and adjusted the end points as previously suggested. Nothing seems to work

Brake settings are on max

Any help much apprecated.
JamieV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #15227
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Turn the brakes down to 60-70%. You are probably locking up the tires and skidding across the track if they are full power.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #15228
Tech Apprentice

Default Poor Brakes

Thanks for the suggestion - If only the brakes were that good!

One of the major braking zones on my local track is right in front of the rostrum and I am sure I would notice if the wheels lock up and I don't think that is the case.

I will try any way unless any other advice.

Jamie
Old 06-21-2010, 08:00 AM   #15229
Tech Elite

What motor are you using?

I literally only use 40% of my brakes (I dial it out on my radio) on my track, which is fairly tight! That is with 17.5 and 13.5, however. If I go above 60% the brakes lock up and I just skid around.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #15230
Tech Apprentice

Yesterday I tried 3 different motors :

LRP X12 (fullly retarded Timing)
Novak Ballistic
Tekin Redline

(All 10.5)

No real difference between any of them brake wise.

I will try turning them down as you suggest.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #15231
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Share your FDR's. I have found FDR makes a huge difference in braking.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #15232
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Jamie--> I have tried everything from motors, batteries, capacitors and different settings, and the brakes are still kind of so-so. On the other hand, my other Tekin ESC has a lot better brakes! At my local club, about 2 out of 5 of us running Tekin has decent brakes, and one has random brakes (coming and going). IMO, this has led me to believe that the problems are ESC related, as they do vary sample to sample.

At slower speeds, the Tekin will lock the wheels up, but pulling it up to a halt from full speed.... pretty random... its like the EPA on the trigger was reduced to around 30-40% till it slowed to a 'jogging' pace.

Try turning your reverse up to 100%. It helped a little, but not to the point of locking the wheels up kind of braking.
Proudly Sponsored by Stanbridges Hobbies
Serpent S411
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:41 AM   #15233
Tech Apprentice

FDR,s were :-

LRP 7.75
Novak and Tekin 6.8

Set up :

Boost 40
Turbo 15
Delay 0.1
Ramp 2
Start RPM 12***
End RPM 19***
T. Profile 2
Brake Max
Drag Brake 0

Also - Thanks jrxs-r will try as well.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #15234
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrxs-r View Post
Jamie--> I have tried everything from motors, batteries, capacitors and different settings, and the brakes are still kind of so-so. On the other hand, my other Tekin ESC has a lot better brakes! At my local club, about 2 out of 5 of us running Tekin has decent brakes, and one has random brakes (coming and going). IMO, this has led me to believe that the problems are ESC related, as they do vary sample to sample.

At slower speeds, the Tekin will lock the wheels up, but pulling it up to a halt from full speed.... pretty random... its like the EPA on the trigger was reduced to around 30-40% till it slowed to a 'jogging' pace.

Try turning your reverse up to 100%. It helped a little, but not to the point of locking the wheels up kind of braking.
This has to do with the timing boost, you can see it on the bench if your daring. Spin up your motor half throttle jam the brakes, instant lockup, wait until it gets into "boost" and there will be a delay before the brakes engage.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 AM   #15235
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
This has to do with the timing boost, you can see it on the bench if your daring. Spin up your motor half throttle jam the brakes, instant lockup, wait until it gets into "boost" and there will be a delay before the brakes engage.
Hi Mike. One of my Tekins will almost instantly stop the wheels just getting onto turbo, and the other will have a softer stop. Its quite a noticeable difference between the 2.

FDRs I run are from 6.5 to 8.3 (rubber TC) with the X12, SPV3 10.5 motors.
Proudly Sponsored by Stanbridges Hobbies
Serpent S411
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #15236
Tech Master

Jamie - What are your temps like? Hot motors don't brake as well.
I also noticed you have very hight boost start, and very low Turbo start. What sort of track is it? Large and flowing, or small and tight?

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #15237
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenOlsen View Post
i am or was until I tryed a RS PRO and cut of 7/10 of my fastest lap time
and this was after running the LRP all saturday and sunday morning and testing it for the track.
Oh damn - Some of the guys at the City2-race was really getting scared of you on the straight - your SXX SS was scary-fast - and if the RS Pro is even faster...

For the next indoor season, I will be getting a Tekin RS aswell, so I hopefully can keep up (yeah right :P).
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #15238
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
Jamie - What are your temps like? Hot motors don't brake as well.
I also noticed you have very hight boost start, and very low Turbo start. What sort of track is it? Large and flowing, or small and tight?
I did have a lower boost but was advised to raise it as the LRP motor in particular needs to rev out.

The track is fairly flowing but not large. Straight approx 30m max hence the low turbo start or it comes in too late (14 second lap times)

With regards to motor temp - around 60 deg / 140f

The brakes are poor from lap one till the end so am sure nothing to do with the temp of the motor.

Thanks for your help
Old 06-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #15239
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieV View Post
Hi,

Anyone get any suggestions for improved brakes.
My car never wants to stop when braking from full throttle. - It seems I have to brake about 3-5m before I normally would allowing others to catch.

I tried back to back yesterday with my SXX and the brakes were great in comparison - but the SXX lacked top speed.

I want to persevere with the Tekin but it has never been great on brakes - I have changed several motors but to no avail.

I have reset the Transmitter several times and adjusted the end points as previously suggested. Nothing seems to work

Brake settings are on max

Any help much apprecated.
I've got 2 Tekin RS Pros. I got one when they first came out and one a few months back.

The first one I got had rubbish brakes, I posted a few times about it without resolution. I tried different motors, boost and turbo settings, FDRs, spur and pinion combinations, reloading software versions, lowered brake settings and all sorts. Nothing worked. For those that say you are locking up the tyres, that's highly unlikely unless you're racing on ice or incredibly low traction tracks. Here's something to try, put your car on the ground, apply the brakes and gently nudge your car forward and I bet you'll see the wheels are turning, even if you do it on laminate flooring.

The second one I bought had fantastic brakes straight from the off.

I solved the problem of rubbish brakes on the first one by making the speedo a forward AND reverse speedo and then turning reverse down to 12%. That's not enough to make it move backwards on the track, but it sure as hell stops the car when you want it to. Oh, and the brake test above will still show the tyres turn when you apply brakes and nudge the car forward with your foot, but when you hit the brakes on the track, be prepared for a nice surprise

As to why I needed to make that change, who knows...
THancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #15240
Tech Elite

My home track is actually extremely high traction, but that doesn't mean there aren't cars that over or understeer. Think about it: if a car is capable of spinning out in a corner at your track, why would it not be possible to lock up the brakes? Even in high traction you can overload the tires.