R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-26-2003, 06:49 PM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

Quote:
Originally posted by davioh
i found taht making the mesh a bit tighter gives it a bit of boost...just a bit tighter than usual
how does that make sence????
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 01:01 PM   #17
Tech Regular

I think that it moves the connection spot of the pinions teeth to the spurs closer so it has possibly more power just a wild guess
traxxasdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 05:14 PM   #18

no that wouldnt make sence either lol
sorry

see if you got the gears perfectly meshed if you switched them around it would be the same distance apart
right

and you probably couldnt do it unless you custom your car
the pinion gear is made for the motor not to screw in
Old 07-27-2003, 06:46 PM   #19
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default Re: Turbo for Electric R/C??

Quote:
Originally posted by blixelX
hi, is it possible to add a turbo in the car? or something like 'overclock' the motor (just like overclocking a cpu)? or modify until like those car in movie' fast and furious, hav a add-on function to punch the car to higher speed?

r these possible??
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 07:55 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

On a more serious note, if any of you are Mini-Z owners you will know that there are small turbo units that you can purchase, it's basically a tiny circuit board that you solder onto your battery connections and your acceleration and top speed are greatly increased. Now this works for Mini-Z's, i'm wondering if it can some how be adapted to work on 1/10 touring cars and whatnot? Although, i'm sure if it was possible, it would have already been done.

Instead of a something that doesn't exist for our cars, just buy the Novak Brushless motor system if you're really that dead set on performance like that.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 08:01 PM   #21

hmm intresting
i dont think it'll hurt the car if you try but blow up the circuit board at the most

start a new thread
go for it
Old 07-27-2003, 09:15 PM   #22
Tech Initiate

Quote:
hi, is it possible to add a turbo in the car? or something like 'overclock' the motor (just like overclocking a cpu)? or modify until like those car in movie' fast and furious, hav a add-on function to punch the car to higher speed?

r these possible??
Play around with Dual Rates (on transmitters equipped with them) on the throttle. It does not give you higher top end speed, but gives the impression.

Get yourself a brushless or some wild 2 turn plus 14 cell setup, tone it down with the dual rate, and when your buddies least expect it, flip the dual rate and boom.
PsychoAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:25 PM   #23
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

2 words GM Racing. I bought a gm racing v12xc esc and I will swear by them. They have a sort of "turbo" mode which gives them an extra burst of speed. You have to see it to believe it. My RC10T3 had a stock motor in it and my friend swore it was a mod. Its not too expensive of a esc either. Around $130- $140. Best esc I've seen yet.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 09:54 PM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Ng
how does that make sence????
it doesn't really make sense but it sure as hell sound alot better! well it could be that my mesh before was too far apart! but i havn't tried this on the track yet...
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 10:47 PM   #25

Default Re: Re: Turbo for Electric R/C??

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychoAtom
Play around with Dual Rates (on transmitters equipped with them) on the throttle. It does not give you higher top end speed, but gives the impression.

Get yourself a brushless or some wild 2 turn plus 14 cell setup, tone it down with the dual rate, and when your buddies least expect it, flip the dual rate and boom.
2 turn where can you get one of these?
Old 07-27-2003, 11:42 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to ruftnik

Quote:

r these possible??
try to series a battery between your motor and output of ESC.
then you'll have 7 cells.
ruftnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:47 PM   #27
Tech Regular

The only real thing maby is get a mod and advance timing but who wants that go for the twenty cells ha
melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 12:37 AM   #28
Tech Initiate

Default Re: Re: Re: Turbo for Electric R/C??

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin Ng
2 turn where can you get one of these?
Sorry, got carried away typing ... I meant 12 turn ... but they did use a 2-turn Aveox brushless for Associated's WR speed attempt.

http://www.rccaraction.com/rc/articles/need_speed.asp
PsychoAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 01:04 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord
On a more serious note, if any of you are Mini-Z owners you will know that there are small turbo units that you can purchase, it's basically a tiny circuit board that you solder onto your battery connections and your acceleration and top speed are greatly increased. Now this works for Mini-Z's, i'm wondering if it can some how be adapted to work on 1/10 touring cars and whatnot? Although, i'm sure if it was possible, it would have already been done.
The turbo unit for MiniZ is actually a piggyback amplifier (? MOSFET?) setup. There is a limitation in the circuit design of the MiniZ which emphases compact dimensions, the radio circuit and the motor driver circuit are on the same board. What the "turbo" does is increase the max current carrying capacity of the setup, more current here equals better punch and the ability to use crazy motors without frying the original circuit board.

Cheers
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 01:12 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to NightKidZ

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
2 words GM Racing. I bought a gm racing v12xc esc and I will swear by them. They have a sort of "turbo" mode which gives them an extra burst of speed. You have to see it to believe it. My RC10T3 had a stock motor in it and my friend swore it was a mod. Its not too expensive of a esc either. Around $130- $140. Best esc I've seen yet.
Hi there
I have a V12 XC too. The turbo function does not give the esc an extra burst of speed. Allow me to explain.

When racing, there are situations where some sort of traction control is needed to keep wheelspin to a minimum. That is where current limitters come in. Traditional current limitter unfortunately also affects the top end of the motor. That is where the "turbo' function comes in. The turbo function disables the current limit a set time after full trottle is applied, allowing full speed down the main straights and traction control in the corners.

Cheers
NightKidZ is offline   Reply With Quote