R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default TC4 outdated?

Would a tc4 be as competitive as a tc5 in 19 turn stock races?

Ive done some research and a tc5 kit with a komodo 19turn motor, a LRP AI auto super reverse esc, 3 wolfpack 6 cell 3600ma NiMH batteries and an associated reciever and no name tyres and wheels with a ac swallow charger will cost $843.36

A TC4 will cost $508.71 with the same batteries, motor, esc and charger any ideas what would be a better deal

Last edited by ausman123; 04-20-2008 at 04:39 AM.
ausman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:03 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is only about a $30 difference in the cost of a TC5 kit vs a TC4 kit at our local hobby shop. I don't understand how you came up with a $335 difference??? I own two TC5s so I have a natural bias towards them.

Pete
Pete Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

if you dont mind where is the hobby shop you go to and what is its name? Thx
ausman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

have you noticed that a lot of people have been selling their tc4's?
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausman123 View Post
if you dont mind where is the hobby shop you go to and what is its name? Thx
They can be reached at www.fantasyworldhobbies.com in Tacoma Washington.
Phone: (253) 473-6223

Pete
Pete Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

IMO, the TC4 will not be as competitive as the TC5, escpecially since nobody really races the TC4 anymore.

Now as far as running in front of your house or fav parking lot, bashing, the TC4 will be a good car to get with the cost savings. Unfortunately, some TC4 parts will get harder to find in the next few years compared to the TC5.

If your real goal is racing, and you want to buy an Associated kit, get the TC5.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The TC4 was just a bad car the TC3 was much better. I dont think anyone will disagree with that. There is no comparison with the tc5 it is leaps and bounds better than the tc4. Of course it is outdated thats how technology works. However I use the plastic tub TC4 as a Vintage T/A car it works for that...check Flea-bay you could probably get a real good deal on a TC5 or TC4 if you want....Right now you can get a good deal on about any T/C you want....Xray...schumacher...tamiya...etc...The best thing about the TC5 would be parts avalibility evry LHS carries associated parts...I have had all these T/Cs and I loved the TC5 but that was until I got an Xray T2 007 and now thats all I run...MY 2CENTS....
NUCRPTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 10:17 AM   #8

The TC4 was "outdated" before it went into production. Most racers who bought them regret it. It's fine as a RTR, makes a decent drift car or just play car, but it's no race car.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
Tech Master

I think if there's no parts for this car, even is good or not you must be realist.
I really wanted to buy 1 before when had still 540 race in my site. But after a lot of research and e-mails, concluded is really difficult to find a full race kit or any spare and option parts, so i have just give up of this idea.
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
There is only about a $30 difference in the cost of a TC5 kit vs a TC4 kit at our local hobby shop. I don't understand how you came up with a $335 difference??? I own two TC5s so I have a natural bias towards them.

Pete
hes probably talking about the team or sport car not the ft that would make a huge price difference
Branden Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I have 2 TC3 and I love them. There solid and fun to race. I'm not big on belt driven. I am big on shaft and carbon fiber. I thought R/C racing was supposed to be fun. I'm starting to see people becoming snobs in this hobby. Race what you got and enjoy it!!
smarking1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fender_guy

Completely agree with the above. I have a TC4 and its a great car and handles just as well as all the other top-end cars and I have managed to beat out X-Rays and TC5s and others. Belt driven cars just aren't for everyone and for me it wouldn't be very practical. As far as parts go they still sell plenty of parts for the TC4 its not very hard to find them either. Oh and smarking did you get that charger shipped out yet?
fender_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

These posts are all completely ridiculous. The TC4 was not a bad car, and for club racing it's hardly outdated. I've seen guys be competitive with TC3's against TC5s so it all depends on the driver and the class.

Too many people these days think that just because a new car comes out that every car before it is complete junk and that just isn't the case. Team Associated could come out with a TC6 tomorrow that had a few small changes and everyone would claim it was a billion times better than the TC5. It's the competition with the Jones theory and it's just plain silly.

Don't believe the hype. Goto your local track and see what everyone is running. I'm not saying that the TC5 isn't an overall better racer, but unless you're running at a very high level of racing I doubt you'd be able to tell much difference, and if you are running at that high of a level then I wouldn't worry about the $300 difference because it's going to cost much more to compete at that level.

As for parts, that is also completely silly. There are so many parts available for the TC3 and TC4 that you could probably race for the next twenty years without running out. Go look on Tower Hobbies if you don't believe me, they stock everything for this car as do most other online shops.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

smarking1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quick5pnt0 View Post
These posts are all completely ridiculous. The TC4 was not a bad car, and for club racing it's hardly outdated. I've seen guys be competitive with TC3's against TC5s so it all depends on the driver and the class.

Too many people these days think that just because a new car comes out that every car before it is complete junk and that just isn't the case. Team Associated could come out with a TC6 tomorrow that had a few small changes and everyone would claim it was a billion times better than the TC5. It's the competition with the Jones theory and it's just plain silly.

Don't believe the hype. Goto your local track and see what everyone is running. I'm not saying that the TC5 isn't an overall better racer, but unless you're running at a very high level of racing I doubt you'd be able to tell much difference, and if you are running at that high of a level then I wouldn't worry about the $300 difference because it's going to cost much more to compete at that level.

As for parts, that is also completely silly. There are so many parts available for the TC3 and TC4 that you could probably race for the next twenty years without running out. Go look on Tower Hobbies if you don't believe me, they stock everything for this car as do most other online shops.
I Agree,
i run my FT TC4 against tc5's, tamiya's and xray's every other weekend and do quite well, my first time out with the car against a bunch of tc5's i won the first heat,second in the second heat, and second in the main. And parts are EVERYWHERE for this thing, Any of the LHS's around here have a full stock of parts and still order more when needed.
VenturaDC is offline   Reply With Quote