R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-20-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think it's a question of belt or shaft. The Tc4 just didn't have the success like the TC3 did. It's a capable car in the right hands, but it's not as balanced as the TC3. Over $300 diference in price would only make sense if you got the car for free. I put mine on the shelf because i have other cars which perform better for me
M3dreamin2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The TC4 is outdated can it be ran yes, But if your going out to buy why buy old technology. when is the last time a TC4 or a shaft drive car was in the top 10 of anything other than items being sold on ebay...You cant deny that even associated had to regret the tc4. The TC3 was a great car and still is but as technology advances why not advance with it. I am not the guy that buys the newest car out every month,But if a guy is going to get into the hobby he would be better off to go with the tc5 or a belt drive because more than likely that is what he will see at his local track....Opinions are like A$$Holes everybody has got one...Just my 2 cents...
NUCRPTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

I think it boils down to better adjustability, efficiency, lower CG's etc etc. If you can get a TC3 to handle well, you can get it to go very close in speed to a TC5 or what have you. It is really 90% driver and 10% equipment. But in order for manufactures to stay alive they need to make new cars for the consumer to support their business.
Mr. Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

TC3 good
TC4 Bad both Team and FT
TC5 Better

IMO
ROAR # 11-118753 / MATT #11-118754
MECH # 11-118755 / RYLEE #11-118756
RIP :Loretta Plueard 2017
SUPPORTING NORTHWEST HARVEST --- WWW.NORTHWESTHARVEST.ORG THE HUNGER STOPS HERE
Skruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Since the question is whether or not the TC4 is outdated the answer is yes. Now if the question is can the TC4 be competitive at the club level the answer is yes. I have this car and it can hang with the Carbon Fiber cars in most cases however I like my TC5 better. It just seems to be easier to drive in my opinion. I hope that helps.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #21
Tech Elite

The TC4 is a very good car and a fine club racer.

As far as outdated? It seems that Xray pops out a new version every six months which is great for people to buy barely used "older" versions for cheap. Associated is one of those companies that does not produce a car d'jour and sticks with a design for several years before introducing a new platform. The TC4 was a derivative of the TC3, a narrower chassis with a better steering system. So it was based on a car introduced around 2000, does that make it bad, No.

As an aside, many people are adopting the US Vintage Trans-Am class and those chassis are perfectly capable of winning in that class since it's more driver skill than car.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiles View Post
I think it boils down to better adjustability, efficiency, lower CG's etc etc. If you can get a TC3 to handle well, you can get it to go very close in speed to a TC5 or what have you. It is really 90% driver and 10% equipment. But in order for manufactures to stay alive they need to make new cars for the consumer to support their business.
I can't agree more. Its funny when I see these TC5 guys at the local track think they have the car setup just perfect and hit the wall with parts flying in the air. Here I go bye them with my middle finger in the air and they have to spend $ for more parts. I spent $140 for my car and they spent way over that. Thats my 3 cents!
smarking1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:19 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to stanislow

ive owned/own bothe the tc4 and tc5, IMO i liked the tc4 because of its really good user friendly design (unless your trying to get to the motor!)parts were really easy to come by and they were pretty inexpensive

My TC5s on the other hand brought a completly new chassis design, one of which i was not used to. This brought my tuning capabilities up to a new level (one that could acually compete with the xray guys) i find that the TC5 is faster and a bit more durable then its older counterpart. but i do agree that the TC4 is really outdated for the times. Belt is the new shaft, although the durability of a shaft drive is awesome, the tunability of a belt is beyond anything a shaft car can do

who do you see winning races? tc4? evoV? no, you see xray 008s, 416s cyclones and TC5s winning, why? there faster and easier to tune

My .2
Mad Scientist Motors
stanislow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #24
Tech Elite

As an aside regarding the shaft vs. belt arguement, belt drives are better suited for the new more powerful motors being used than shaft, however, in stock or for bashing the shaft is still a viable configuration.

Has anyone noticed the trend in 4wd off-road buggies is to go shaft?

The same for the basher, shaft equals less drivetrain maintenance.

That being said, the decision to go with a TC4 based on an older design or to go with the TC5 which is similar to most belted designs is up to the user and what they plan to do with the car.

I have had belted cars and shaft cars and still use both today. Both types function well for me because my driving skill attribute to my lack of podium finishes. Am I having fun, yes. Does it matter if it's belt or shaft, no.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

It sounds like you are trying to decide between a RTR TC4 and a FT TC5 kit.

If you are on a tight budget and you're not really sure that you will be racing racing at regularly at your local track(s) there's nothing wrong the TC4. Just drive and have fun and dont worry about results. You just need to accept that you will be giving up some performance against guys who will have better cars, radios, servos, and escs.

Unless you race all the time, your not likely to get into the top 5 or 10 cars at any club anyhow.

But, if you are extremely competitive and want to give yourself the best chance of success and you want to enjoy racing as much and as often as possible, buy the best kits, esc, and radio you can possibly afford.

$500 might put you in the A Main at the club but a $1000 might put you on the podium.

You need to ask yourself what your goals are and how to best achieve them.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote