Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
2008 R.O.A.R. ASPHALT NATIONALS (UPDATED INFO THREAD) >

2008 R.O.A.R. ASPHALT NATIONALS (UPDATED INFO THREAD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2008 R.O.A.R. ASPHALT NATIONALS (UPDATED INFO THREAD)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I have one question about races in general.

When do they get soo big on entries that they become un-manageable? Sure its nice to see large entries, but, unless the host track is relying on the entry fees for a income, I really don't see why you need 300+ entries at a National event. Something like 120-150 is much more manageable, and your day doesn't drag out into a 24 hour marathon, where there is a good chance your heat runs around 2am. The racers don't like the hours and the support crew still has to be there, which I'm sure they'd rather be in bed as well. At least then if you got finished at 6pm you could have a actual social event.

Maybe this is something ROAR should consider. Have some way of qualifying to be eligible to run at the Nats and have a actual cutoff of the entries for the Nats. (There used to be a cutoff for the Worlds and then a waitlist for those that could attend that didn't qualify thru the Regional Championships.)

The Winners of the Nats get a automatic seat to the Worlds, Mod would have all race fees paid for. The winner of the Stock Nats gets a factory sponsorship for mod equipment, but also cannot run in the Stock Nats for 2 years after winning.

I also checked the RCLive website and didn't read anywhere that they would guarantee live race coverage, so you pretty much take what you can get, and I think they did all they could with what facilities where available to them. How this means its ROARs fault totally mystifies me.

I'm pretty sure that results from regionals are used for national entries but ROAR has not needed to use it since there hasn't been an overwhelming turnout in years.... I know that placing top 30 in a national event gives you priority in the worlds just incase the U.S. is limited for spots in the worlds.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
is that 3:45 A.M.?????? Are you kidding me? I'm firing our travel agent...!! LOL

And.. no way... the trophy girl in the picture above is way better looking than me any day..... WAY BETTER...... stick with the younger girls - better in the photographs.

I would like to comment about the behavior I heard about after the trophy ceremony..... I realize plaques might not be what everybody wants as a trophies but I do want to stress that SOMEBODY does design these, pay for these and has pride in the awards being given out... tossing them like frisbees and using them to remove bark from trees is simply disrespectful. If you don't want the trophy for whatever reason.. probably because your ticked at where you finished.... then toss it away OUTSIDE of the view of others and especially the sanctioning body representatives that worked very hard to get them at the event.

I thought this was a professional racing event...and from what I am hearing about the behavior on many levels, I would swear it was my nephews kindergarten classroom just before nap time.
Dawn, I am sorry about being out of line......
Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Dawn, I am sorry about being out of line......

touche'

Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Q, out with the old in with the new!!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
come on guys, be nice, some guys especially guys with daughters aren't into it

however i have the coolest lady, who told me, take this bottle of black velvet, go hang with the boys and call me to come get you when your done. i had my old ass back in the room at 930 or so.
Point taken
Old 06-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Elite

I have one question about races in general.

When do they get soo big on entries that they become un-manageable? Sure its nice to see large entries, but, unless the host track is relying on the entry fees for a income, I really don't see why you need 300+ entries at a National event. Something like 120-150 is much more manageable, and your day doesn't drag out into a 24 hour marathon, where there is a good chance your heat runs around 2am. The racers don't like the hours and the support crew still has to be there, which I'm sure they'd rather be in bed as well. At least then if you got finished at 6pm you could have a actual social event.

Maybe this is something ROAR should consider. Have some way of qualifying to be eligible to run at the Nats and have a actual cutoff of the entries for the Nats. (There used to be a cutoff for the Worlds and then a waitlist for those that could attend that didn't qualify thru the Regional Championships.)

The Winners of the Nats get a automatic seat to the Worlds, Mod would have all race fees paid for. The winner of the Stock Nats gets a factory sponsorship for mod equipment, but also cannot run in the Stock Nats for 2 years after winning.

I also checked the RCLive website and didn't read anywhere that they would guarantee live race coverage, so you pretty much take what you can get, and I think they did all they could with what facilities where available to them. How this means its ROARs fault totally mystifies me.
Maybe try this.

The number of entries for the Nats is established based on the entries for the different classess at the regional level over the year. The regional top 5 are allowed a position at the Nats. Each manufacturer are allowed 5 positions. That would be for example SMC gets 5 spots, Trinity gets 5, Xray gets 5, Novak gets 5, Associated gets 5 etc. These spots would be above those that have won the Regionals, if a winner from the Regionals is already sponsored by a manufacturer that spot is given back to the next highest finisher of the Regionals. Multiple sponsored drivers are only allowed one position and again vacant spots would roll back to the Regional finishers.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default happy

Well all is back on track racing this weekend can not wait... Jolly you coming? maybe I might get my car back to its old self ...Going fast.. it feels great to be racing again...
Old 06-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Q,

Awesome event. Everything was amazing. I think you did what you said you were going to do by raising the bar. Im so glad we made the long haul and we will definately be back to the dry county for your next event.

See you then
Old 06-24-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

good run mark, your Rip was shocking
Old 06-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kartermdb
Q,

Awesome event. Everything was amazing. I think you did what you said you were going to do by raising the bar. Im so glad we made the long haul and we will definately be back to the dry county for your next event.

See you then
Thanks Mark! You guys were a hoot.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JtDieter
Oh.....ROAR as well, every race gets better, and it looks like that trend will continue.
Jim ..... thanks for the props. We work our azzes off to the best job we can. We have some great people on the team and I hope that more people will appreciate the worth of RMT. Thanks for the props.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Maybe try this.

The number of entries for the Nats is established based on the entries for the different classess at the regional level over the year. The regional top 5 are allowed a position at the Nats. Each manufacturer are allowed 5 positions. That would be for example SMC gets 5 spots, Trinity gets 5, Xray gets 5, Novak gets 5, Associated gets 5 etc. These spots would be above those that have won the Regionals, if a winner from the Regionals is already sponsored by a manufacturer that spot is given back to the next highest finisher of the Regionals. Multiple sponsored drivers are only allowed one position and again vacant spots would roll back to the Regional finishers.
I love this ..... we've heard this time and time again. Lets create a national ranking and qualifying system. Sounds great and in theory it's an EXCELLENT idea but who's going to do the work of managing all the data? Who's going to enter all the data? I know myself as an Excomm member I'm about on the limit of how much time I can spend on ROAR without affecting my real job or my family. JIC you didn't know, my real JOB pays my bills. My ROAR Excomm gig is for the love and passion I have for this hobby.

If someone out there in this great old USA could devise a system that would manage the race data, results data, member data, not charge ROAR an arm and a leg (DONATE!!!!) and it was easy enough for all the region directors and/or track owner/directors to use then maybe just maybe we could have what many here want. But until a system is devised that doesn't already tax an overworked system it's going to be a hard one to swallow.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Q,

You are right about not meshing very well but I will tell you after spending the week at your track I see how much you really care about this hobby/sport..(so in that way we are alike)We definately need more people in the industry like yourself and everyone affiliated with your track..top notch place...as for the bump call it what you will! I just know I didnt like it..neither did my cars!....I quess it was my week to have problems...oh well what can you do except to move on.

As for the RMT...Good job!....No major problems if any minor ones...The tech area ran absolutley perfect.The rules were made and not altered at all..as a racer I loved that part of it.....

For anyone thinking of making there way to Jonesboro anytime soon make sure you check out RC Hobbies...the shop is great!

Thanks,

Barry
Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
The kid.. one of my locals.. I took that picture. (not Dakotah)

It was supposed to be in silouhette but the trophy company kinda screwed things up...

we will have something beyond amazing in awards next year.. this year, we had to complete the stock of purchased plaques from last year, which is why we are giving what we are giving.......

missed this post earlier, you have handed me a box of jelly beans and i would have been happy
Old 06-24-2008, 04:20 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Barry Baker
Hey Q,

You are right about not meshing very well but I will tell you after spending the week at your track I see how much you really care about this hobby/sport..(so in that way we are alike)We definately need more people in the industry like yourself and everyone affiliated with your track..top notch place...as for the bump call it what you will! I just know I didnt like it..neither did my cars!....I quess it was my week to have problems...oh well what can you do except to move on.

As for the RMT...Good job!....No major problems if any minor ones...The tech area ran absolutley perfect.The rules were made and not altered at all..as a racer I loved that part of it.....

For anyone thinking of making there way to Jonesboro anytime soon make sure you check out RC Hobbies...the shop is great!

Thanks,

Barry

Yeah I must admit that after some thought over our last ordeal I realised that we actually have the some of the same problems, in this case maybe we just care to much about what we do, and let it get the best of us.

On another note though. The front stretch bump has been oficialy named
Mt. Baker, in your honor.

See you around soon Im sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.