R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-25-2008, 11:14 PM   #1231
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
EA just curious cause i dont know the official rules on the brushless motors... but you did say that you ran the new trinity green brushless motor ? I know shreven did... Dont the motors have to be available to buy for people to run the brushless motors ?

If they are for sale where can they be bought ?
It did not seem to matter. Non ROAR LIPO's were ran in the qualifiers and the mains.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:53 AM   #1232
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Those motors are on the approval list, if they wernt on the list they would not have been raced I assure you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
EA just curious cause i dont know the official rules on the brushless motors... but you did say that you ran the new trinity green brushless motor ? I know shreven did... Dont the motors have to be available to buy for people to run the brushless motors ?

If they are for sale where can they be bought ?
Old 06-26-2008, 04:59 AM   #1233
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Unless you were the one using non approved batteries I'd have to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
It did not seem to matter. Non ROAR LIPO's were ran in the qualifiers and the mains.

Last edited by abailey21; 06-26-2008 at 06:01 AM.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #1234
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

changed my mind...

no more drama.

Last edited by Dawn Sanchez; 06-26-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:55 AM   #1235
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Just wanted to thank everyone for a great race.

Q- Great job! I didn't know you had it in ya! Most people around here know me or know how I am- I call it like I see it- I don't hesitate when it comes to pointing out when someone is wrong or out of line.... but by the same token I'm willing to give props to those who actually deserve them. So I absolutely must take this opportunity to tell you that as a track owner (and a racer) you have come a long way. You were helpful, patient, understanding, open to ideas and suggestions, and most importantly, you (as the race host) were a problem solver and not a problem creator! I was very impressed at the planning and forethought given to practically every aspect of the race. Especially considering this was your first National event as a track owner (I think?) Knowing that you're an intelligent person, one could only assume you have noted any ideas for improvements for the next time, which translates to a guaranteed great event! Keep up the good work bro.

Ruben, Billy, and the RMT as a whole- great job. Keep up the good work, and THANK YOU for your unselfish commitment of time, knowledge, and expertise to this hobby!!!!

Oh yea- I hate qual points!!!!!
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #1236
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogRacing View Post
Just wanted to thank everyone for a great race.

Q- Great job! I didn't know you had it in ya! Most people around here know me or know how I am- I call it like I see it- I don't hesitate when it comes to pointing out when someone is wrong or out of line.... but by the same token I'm willing to give props to those who actually deserve them. So I absolutely must take this opportunity to tell you that as a track owner (and a racer) you have come a long way. You were helpful, patient, understanding, open to ideas and suggestions, and most importantly, you (as the race host) were a problem solver and not a problem creator! I was very impressed at the planning and forethought given to practically every aspect of the race. Especially considering this was your first National event as a track owner (I think?) Knowing that you're an intelligent person, one could only assume you have noted any ideas for improvements for the next time, which translates to a guaranteed great event! Keep up the good work bro.

Ruben, Billy, and the RMT as a whole- great job. Keep up the good work, and THANK YOU for your unselfish commitment of time, knowledge, and expertise to this hobby!!!!

Oh yea- I hate qual points!!!!!

WOW! Thanks Jason.

Yeah I took some notes. Exapmple

"Note to self, next time include a disclosure about the drivers party in the drivers packets"

mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #1237
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

I have too much respect for Q to start crap after his great event. So I'll edit my post
Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 AM   #1238
Tech Adept

Default Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAlford View Post
I have too much respect for Q to start crap after his great event. So I'll edit my post
I was lucky enough to read before the edit! I think you should leave it.

In some way or another I'm quite sure the use of non approved lipos has to be tied to the Lewd Beahavior at the Drivers Party.
-me-
88crewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #1239
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAlford View Post

I know how ya feel.......
Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #1240
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
Those motors are on the approval list, if they wernt on the list they would not have been raced I assure you
I think the big issue is that it appears ROAR isnt following the rules of motor availability before approving motors. For example the Hacker was approved and there was no way they met the availability requiirements the first month it was approved. You couldnt find them anywhere. I dont know if this situation applies to the Trinity motor or not but it sounds like it might?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:47 AM   #1241
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I think the big issue is that it appears ROAR isnt following the rules of motor availability before approving motors. For example the Hacker was approved and there was no way they met the availability requiirements the first month it was approved. You couldnt find them anywhere. I dont know if this situation applies to the Trinity motor or not but it sounds like it might?

Ok.. there seems to be a misconception on this one and its starting to bother me.

The rules are clear.... MFG's have to prove quantity sold in outrageous numbers to be honest of which we have reduced and given companies a year to produce the large amounts.... no motor is on our list that doesn't submit invoices proving sale to a distributor. What Horizon, Great Planes or whoever does or what hobby shops buy is of no control to ROAR. We enforce, IN FULL, proof of sale to a outsourcing location.

Because you couldn't get a Hacker is beyond me.. they are in my shop and were in the shop at Hobbytown HobbyPlex for the Carpet Nats.... as per the rules.

So, if you find another rule in the rule book that I don't seem to know.. let me know.

Are you referring to this rule:
12.4.3 Vehicles, parts, and accessories used in Stock electric classes must be readily available through retail outlets at least 14 days prior to the event.

If so... motors have been available in retail outlets.. again, Hobbytown Hobbyplex carried the Hacker product. My shop did as well during that time and still does.

Are you referring to this rule:
12.4.1 Only ROAR-approved electric motors, batteries and bodies may be used in National Championship events. Motors, batteries, and bodies must have been listed on www.roarracing.com fourteen (14) days prior to the event to be eligible for use.

That is an approval listing.. and I swear.. companies scramble to get their products to ROAR within time... I never know theres a deadline coming up until my email box is so full.... LOL

I think you are referring to this rule:
8.8.6 A minimum of two thousand (2000) brushless motors must be available at the time of approval. A minimum of three hundred (300) brushless motors must have been sold to at least three (3) distributors or hobby shops or OEM’s at the time of submittal. The manufacturer has to provide an address of a hobby shop or the like, that any driver who wishes to obtain these motors at the time of the approval can do so. No hybrid (mixing of
parts from approved brushless motors) allowed.

Available again, means we enforce proof the quantity has been sold to the outsource. The numbers required for Brushless have been lowered for 2008 and the companies submitting their motors are notified of this when the documentation is required prior to listing on the approval list.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #1242
Tech Elite

and, I'm sure some crafty person is going to give an example of how I might be incorrect.. and thats fine.... I smile a lot lately when I read this place.....

I will stand by the fact that ROAR follows the published rules. Some folks might not like the rules, which is obvious and all I can say is follow the proper methods of protesting at a national and submit your rule change request through the proper methods and your voice is heard.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #1243
Tech Champion

Dawn, dont get upset, Im a huge fan . Im referring to the qty available/sold. With the hacker there were a TON of people that couldnt get the motors after the initial small shipment. If you go back and look at the thread it will reflect that. I guess the frustration comes less from the major events but at smaller events that look to ROAR for rules. If someone shows up with something new that everyone else can't get for several week and gets beat then it was obviously that new thing that allowed that to happen. Since we all want to believe its our equipment that makes us slow the frustration of not being able to get motors causes us to hurt our sensative egos

Not sure if this is what the person above was referring to with the Trinity motors but perhaps it was less about it being legal and more about availability?

Also, what is the new lower motor availability requirement? Is it the 3000 posted above? You said it was on the site, I looked it wasnt, you said oh yeah its not and that you would add it, but I still didnt see it (havent looked lately)<- run-on sentance of the century... You also told me they got an exemption b/c motors were held up in customs
Old 06-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #1244
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Dawn, dont get upset, Im a huge fan . Im referring to the qty available. With the hacker there were a TON of people that couldnt get the motors after the initial small shipment. If you go back and look at the thread it will reflect that. I guess the frustration comes less from the major events but at smaller events that look to ROAR for rules. If someone shows up with something new that everyone else can't get for several week and gets beat then it was obviously that new thing that allowed that to happen. Since we all want to believe its our equipment that makes us slow the frustration of not being able to get motors causes us to hurt our sensative egos

Not sure if this is what the person above was referring to with the Trinity motors but perhaps it was less about it being legal and more about availability?

Also, what is the new lower motor? You said it was on the site, I looked it wasnt, you said oh yeah its not and that you would add it, but I still dont see it <- run-on sentance of the century...

I know your fan..... my bad for appearing upset.

I think the rule needs to be corrected but I'm not sure how to do that. In this economy, to ask a MFG to have 2,000 motors in the hands of hobby shops is impossible. I own a hobby shop and I will barely purchase one motor because its inventory that sits. And certainly, I don't buy any brushed motors anymore......

The Trinity listing has an incorrect date. The paperwork was fax'd to the event to prove its legality by our inspection lab and I approved the allowance of the motor. It was process properly, just a typo on our list that well... is inexcusable and corrective measures are taking place.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #1245
Tech Champion

No new motor. I missed a couple words in that sentance. Too much multi-tasking.

I agree. 2000 seems like a LOT of motors. Its a catch 22. You dont want to have something legal that could be a lot better then everything else but have limited availability. On the flip side people wont buy stuff that isnt legal.

Id like to know about the real numbers though. There arent THAT many RC racers. I would bet Hacker got 300 or less 10.5 and 17.5 motors in for their initial shipment. That seems kind of low. Im purely speculating though.