R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2003, 08:24 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Default Best motor lathe?

I'm in the market for a lathe and was wondering what the best lathe is in your opinion and even more importantly, why.

I've heard a lot of great things about the Fantom lathe, any opinions on the Fantom lathe?

Thanks
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 08:26 PM   #2
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Hudy has always provided me with the best quality tools avalible, from wrenches to lathes, I recommend everything they make. It's all the highest quality stuff you can buy.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 08:39 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

I do agree with you on the quality of Hudy products, I have a Hudy tire truer for slot cars and have been very pleased with it, the lathes look like they are very similar in design, so i'm sure they are great.

I was just looking on MyTSN at the Hudy lathes, that fully automatic Hudy lathe looks very nice, but VERY expensive . Does anyone here have any experience with the automatic Hudy lathe? How is it? Even though it's expensive, if it's really THAT good I will definetly get it. I'm a newbie as far as cutting comms go, so if the automatic lathe will do all the work for me and prevent me from messing up an armature by cutting too deep or something of that sort, then again, i'll definetly get it. They also have two versions of the automatic Hudy lathe, the HSG and BBG versions, what are the differences? The descriptions don't say anything about the differences.

Just one more question, should the comm on stock motors be cut on a regular basis aswell, such as every five cycles or so? All of the Hudy lathes say they are for cutting mod comms and don't say anything about cutting the comms on stock motors.

Also, it says the Hudy lathes come with a carrying case, does anyone have a picture of this case?
Old 07-23-2003, 08:55 PM   #4
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

HSG/BBG:- difference being either V-guides, or ballbearing guides.

Case:- on the non-auto lathes, the case is only a 2pc black plastic box & base that stores your lathe in.

When anything is called a "mod" lathe, it is meant for any comm where you can take the armature out of the can. So yes, that includes any rebuildable stockers.

There are some other "stock" lathes that can cut a comm in-situ, for when you can't take the armature out (pre-1997 ROAR stockers??). However its agreed that cutting a comm inside the can is never as good a cut as cutting it outside.
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 09:00 PM   #5
Tech Prophet

The automatic lathe really wont do much of the work for you. You still have to set how deep the cut is, but you'll learn that really fast. It will make the pass on the comm for you so you dont have to turn the wheel to do that, but I wouldn't think that's worth $200 extra.

Like WC said on all of the new stock motors, you can take the armature out and cut it on a mod lathe. The old stock motors didn't have removable endbells, so you'd have to remove the brush hood and cut the comm while it was still in the can.

HSG = Hardened Steel V Guides, these last forever, and stay true forever.

BBG = Ball Bearing Guides, these stay ultra smooth during the cut, but if the bearing goes bad, it will give a horrible cut, and could chip a bit.

I use the V guides, just put a little oil on them and they work fine.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:03 PM   #6
Tech Prophet

http://shop.hudy.net/info.php3?ID=10...6b5af68267e208

Theres some pics of the case.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:16 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the help and advice guys. I think i'm going to get either the Hudy Advanced lathe or the Hudy Tech lathe. Which would you reccomend? The price difference is very minimal and I own a GFX so I don't need to use the lathe for breaking in motors or anything like that.

Also would you reccomend either HSG or BBG?

Thanks
Old 07-23-2003, 09:28 PM   #8
Tech Prophet

I use the Hudy Tech lathe with the V guides. I wouldn't go with the BB guides, I have heard of a lot of people having problems with them.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:01 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

I just found a page on Hudy's website (not MyTSN) stating that the BBG is guaranteed to last for at least 1000 cuts.

I just can't decide whether to go for the BBG or V guide. Randman, what sorts of problems have you heard about the BBG that people have experienced?

Also, is the Hudy Axial Support worth getting? What are your opinions on it?
Old 07-23-2003, 10:10 PM   #10
Tech Prophet

I have heard that some of the copper shavings can get into the bearing, and cause it to grind. Then you will get a slight chatter that will cause a horrible cut. The V guides work just as good, and they can't lock up, or anything like that, they will last a lifetime with no maintence.

I dont think there is any need for the axial support, but I havent looked into it. I dont know anyone that uses it actually. The stock stuff works great and will provide an excellent cut.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:29 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I don't know if this will really help or not since you seem to be set on the Hudy Lathe, but I use a Cobra mod lathe and for the money, it;s the best deal on the market. I got mine for 160 bucks with a diamond bit. People have tried it after it;s all setup and they dont see any difference between the hudy's finish. I'm still 15 so I dont have a consistant form of money income so I have to do alot of research and thinking on my purchases. I think the Cobra Lathe has the best Bang for the buck.

-Sushi Boy
Old 07-23-2003, 10:38 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Me and some buddies had the Cobra lathes and they always had problems. Seemed to chatter a lot even at low speeds. But every Hudy lathe i've seen has cut very smooth and clean. Go with the v-guides, they're cheaper and are better in the long run.
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:47 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Well guys, believe it or not, I just bought a brand new Fantom Lathe off of eBay for $395! My wallet is hurting, I feel the pain, but after talking with the fastest guy at my local track just now and hearing his opinions on the Fantom lathe, I just couldn't pass up this deal! The Hudy is very nice, but after factoring in the price of the diamond bit, axial support, and the actual lathe itself, the price wasn't that far away from the Fantom.

Now that I purchased the Fantom Lathe, does anyone have any tips or advice as to operation and whatnot? Are there certain things I should do when cutting the comm with a Fantom Lathe, or is it pretty much just straight forward?

Thanks for all of the help and advice everyone.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:42 AM   #14
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Randman
...old stock motors didn't have removable endbells, so you'd have to remove the brush hood and cut the comm while it was still in the can.
Remove the hood? AHH, SOOO DESU!!!
(always wondered about how the bit got in...!)

Dunno about the Fantom, but I had a look at a few from
Cobra, Trinity etc before I got the Hudy Advanced earlier this year.
Did not see the Tech Hudy offerred, so forgot about cutting all the
ancient stockers sitting around here.

Some of the other brands have coarser threads on the knobs,
but I thought a finer thread would do a better cut overall.
I'm in no rush, I don't mind twirling the knobs longer.

Just the standard Hudy with v-guides & diamond bit... works GREAT!

Most ironic thing being... just got a Brushless kit today.
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 09:00 AM   #15
Tech Prophet

I cant say I've heard anything bad about the Fantom lathe. If you can afford it, I would say it is as good as anything else out there, including the Hudy. The 1 piece construction means there is nothing to get misaligned or tweaked, so you are ensured the same cut time after time. The thing is, when you get lathes as good as the Hudy, or Fantom, there is really no difference in the cut at all...