R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Glueing Tires (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/21747-glueing-tires.html)

RoadRat 07-23-2003 03:57 PM

Glueing Tires

What's the best way to glue tires to wheels? Should I spread the glue evenly around the wheel and then mount the tires, or just glue is certain spots?

Headbanger 07-23-2003 04:48 PM

1. Mount the tire and insert onto the wheels. Make sure the tires are properly seated on the the rims.

2. Gently pull on the outer edge of the tire until you break the seal, then apply some fast CA. If you do it right you only do three to four spots on each side, because the CA will run along the gap.

Tip: Do one side then move on the next tire. After the fourth tire, the first one should be dry to do the other side.

blixelX 07-23-2003 05:04 PM

saw there r 2 types of glue... one is like watery in a bottle and the other type like not so watery in tooth paste form... which 1 more easier to use and last longer?:D

Steevo 07-23-2003 06:22 PM

What I do is I have a spare wheel axle which I mount sticking up in a little vice. I put the wheel with the tyre mounted on it onto the axle and put a wheel nut on just tight enough so the wheel will still spin around on the axle. Then I just pull back the tyre to expose the bead and put a small amount of glue in. Then I just continue rotating the tyre around until I get back to where I started. I remove the wheel and then do the next 3 wheels the same. After that I go back through and do the other side of all the wheels and there you have it.

A glueing jig would be the best but I have perfected My method so I see no need to spend the money on a Jig.

Also I alllow as long as possible for the glue to dry before putting them on the car and using them...

RoadRat 07-23-2003 06:24 PM

Dumb question....what would happen if I did NOT glue the tires?

blixelX 07-23-2003 06:31 PM

Originally posted by RoadRat
lol... it will drop off when doing fast speed cornering....:D

pkranger63 07-23-2003 06:33 PM

I would think the wheels would spin inside the tires. For gluing tires I first clean the tires and rims with denatured alcohol. I then use a RPM tire gluing jig and put the glue in a couple of spots and tilt the tire around to spread it. Works great. The tire gluing jig is by no means a "must have" but for me I seem to get more consistant glue jobs :)

http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...s/fixtools.htm

Matt

Headbanger 07-23-2003 07:28 PM

Originally posted by blixelX
saw there r 2 types of glue... one is like watery in a bottle and the other type like not so watery in tooth paste form... which 1 more easier to use and last longer?:D
For glueing tires, you want to use the watery kind. Be very careful because it comes out very fast. Pay attention to the amount coming out, too. Too much and it starts to run all over the place. Keep some paper towels around to wipe off any excess glue. If you get some on the tires, don't worry because after the first run, it'll be gone.

Steevo 07-23-2003 09:16 PM

Originally posted by RoadRat
I actually did this by mistake once and what happened is at first I noticed that the car handled terribly and there was a scraping sound because the tyres were rubbing against the wheel arch. On closer Inspection I could see that on all four tyres the bead of the tyre had actually come out and hung over the rim on one side of each wheel:blush:

So I don't recommend not glueing your tyres :smile:

xxxtracer32 07-23-2003 10:38 PM

losi has some nice glue kits that come with glue and rubber bands just the right size for tires, they make on and off road kits so make sure you pick up the right one.