R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   ko propo brushless esc (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/216996-ko-propo-brushless-esc.html)

Skitee 05-19-2008 04:44 AM

There are motors out there that will operate in sensored or sensorless mode depending on the mode the controller uses. Aren't sensorless systems more efficient in racing conditions?

Shadows 05-19-2008 06:06 AM

urmmm. i didnt think sensorless was legal for racing? well.. at least here in Australia anyway.... ??

lutach 05-19-2008 06:45 AM

I think sensorless controllers are legal for racing. Look at the Tekin R1/R1Pro. Most people use the sensored to avoid the start up problems some sensoless controllers have with slotted motors. The motor is the one that ROAR seems to have a problem with as they must be Wey wound and I think a few sensorless motors are Delta wound. A sensorless controller will control any kind of brushless motor. I used my MM to run a Novak HV4.5 motor. All you be doing is not connecting the sensor plug. A sensorless controller uses BEMF to sense where the rotor is and a sensored uses hall sensors. The Trinity N80 for example is a similar designed motor as a sensored Novak, but the N80 is sensorless and I used my HW controller with it. Sensorless techology has come a long way. Some sensorless controllers now have amazing start up and can compete in racing I think.

Shadows 05-19-2008 07:01 AM

maybe it was the motor im thinking of...

jla8874 05-19-2008 07:03 AM

Scientifically you're probably right. But the perception right now is sensorless=entry level/cheaper products. And being that is that way, they're going to have a tough time selling by far the highest priced ESC out there with the way people look at sensorless.

lutach 05-19-2008 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by jla8874 (Post 4458013)
Scientifically you're probably right. But the perception right now is sensorless=entry level/cheaper products. And being that is that way, they're going to have a tough time selling by far the highest priced ESC out there with the way people look at sensorless.

Actually sensored is a much simpler way of designing a controller. Look at the big dogs now: Schulze, Kontronik, Jeti (Hacker), MGM, Castle Creations, Actronic and BK are all sensorless. The previous big dog of sensored systems was Aveox. Too bad Aveox isn't making R/C products anymore. The entry level probably came from the well priced Mamba Max controller, but that controller is not entry level at all. You won't see a Novak GTB or a Speed Passion GT driving a 1/8 scale buggy or truggy. Entry level in a way is the Traxxas VXL-3S controller.

jla8874 05-19-2008 08:07 AM

I'm not disagreeing with you. I was just pointing out that sensorless has lesser performing, lower quality stigma attached to it in touring. I know very well that 1/8 scale is all sensorless, so it obviously works well.

lutach 05-19-2008 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by jla8874 (Post 4458173)
I'm not disagreeing with you. I was just pointing out that sensorless has lesser performing, lower quality stigma attached to it in touring. I know very well that 1/8 scale is all sensorless, so it obviously works well.

I agree with you. Sensored are better at starting the motor right away. Sensorless are catching up and some do offer amazing start up and I doubt they would do bad in a race. I just can't wait to see all the new ESC coming out. I'm having high hopes for one though and when I get it, all of you will be surprised and this controller will be having everyone playing catch up. I will post more on it when it comes.

Mister-T 05-19-2008 09:09 AM

Did you notice at what alarming speed Tekin does update there controller, There is a lot of room for improvement. BTW Xerun startup sensored but does run sensorless once launched.

lutach 05-19-2008 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mister-T (Post 4458349)
Did you notice at what alarming speed Tekin does update there controller, There is a lot of room for improvement. BTW Xerun startup sensored but does run sensorless once launched.

Yes, it's the hybrid technology HW implemented to the controller. Even without the sensor wire hooked up, the controller has no trouble starting the motor. Here is a video I made of my HW: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2uIjw_ct08. The video is nothing special, just testing the HW controller. I'm pretty sure Ko Propo will do a fantastic job on the software of their controllers.

burito 05-19-2008 01:00 PM

Before you guys get too fancy, the KO brushless speedo is sensored only and doesn't have sensorless mode. This is what the fellow KO collegue told me in Thailand...

lutach 05-19-2008 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by burito (Post 4458923)
Before you guys get too fancy, the KO brushless speedo is sensored only and doesn't have sensorless mode. This is what the fellow KO collegue told me in Thailand...

Reto,

Please fill us in on more info when you get them. Thank you.

burito 05-19-2008 01:17 PM

Hey, I'm the LRP and not the KO technician... :D
Sorry, don't have further details that are not already mentioned.

lutach 05-19-2008 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by burito (Post 4458967)
Hey, I'm the LRP and not the KO technician... :D
Sorry, don't have further details that are not already mentioned.

Yes, I'm aware you are LRP. Could you ask your fellow KO collegue for more info? With the good success of controllers that can use sensored or sensorless, it would be good to know if KO will go that way. I checked all the pictures I have of the KO controller and I couldn't see any sensor port. Could it be under the where the motor/battery wires are located?

KO PROPO Staff 05-19-2008 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by lutach (Post 4459020)
Yes, I'm aware you are LRP. Could you ask your fellow KO collegue for more info? With the good success of controllers that can use sensored or sensorless, it would be good to know if KO will go that way. I checked all the pictures I have of the KO controller and I couldn't see any sensor port. Could it be under the where the motor/battery wires are located?

I just returned from Japan today after attending the Shizuoka Hobby show this past weekend. The ESC will only operate with sensored motors. The sensor harness, fan plug, switch lead and lead going to your Rx all come from under the battery & motor terminal post.

No final release date for the ESC but scheduled for later this summer.