R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-11-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default what are your opinions on the FACTORY TEAM TC4?

i plan on getting into carpet racing and maybe some asphalt racing this summer and i found a brand new factory team tc4 thats cheap on ebay. its brand new in box. basically my question is, what are your opinions on the car? is it good? worth the money (probably bidding $130)

thanks
Mikey
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by not home View Post
i plan on getting into carpet racing and maybe some asphalt racing this summer and i found a brand new factory team tc4 thats cheap on ebay. its brand new in box. basically my question is, what are your opinions on the car? is it good? worth the money (probably bidding $130)

thanks
Mikey
It is a fine car. My dad just finished building his, and with the kit set up, when it was my turn to try TC (first time in 2 years, cause I run 12th, my dad runs TC) I was running the car about .5 second slower than my 12th. I believe you will have some fun with it. There is plenty of setups and parts availability. It is all in all a great starter car. I started with a TC3, then moved to 12th. Start with the TC4 to learn basics, then either go high end TC, or 12th, both are real fun.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For the money it's a great deal. I retired mine, because I just couldn't get it to steer without the rear breaking loose. I don't think it was as well balanced as the TC3, but you might have better luck though.
M3dreamin2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:48 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3dreamin2008 View Post
For the money it's a great deal. I retired mine, because I just couldn't get it to steer without the rear breaking loose. I don't think it was as well balanced as the TC3, but you might have better luck though.
My dad's car steers fine, actually has alot of steering at only 40% DR. It just might take a little while to get it on rails, but standard and basic setup, it runs fine.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Tech Master

Good deal.

I've had TC3's a FT TC4 and a TC5. The FT TC4 was definitely a step up from the tub TC3's. It rotates much quicker around tight corners. It does tend to be a sensitive car to get the setup right sometimes but I'm not always the best at figuring out whats wrong. I'm faster with my TC5 but that should be expected.
HB Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mikey,
If this is your first touring car then it's absolutely perfect. It's got plenty of adjustment for you to work with, It's a simple drive train and most importantly it's practically indestructible. Yes eventually you will want a different car but for less than $200 you can't go wrong. Get your feet wet and smack boards with ruthless abandon and then in a year or two look for a faster but more fragile TC.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I wouldnt buy it you would be better off to wait and watch for a TC5 to come avalible......I bought an XRAY T2 007 for $150 off ebay....If your just starting out a TC5 would be perfect new technology parts avalibility and durable.....I would wait and be patience....Unless you just want to race right now.....mY 2CENTS....
NUCRPTRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
Tech Elite

I have a FT TC4 for about a year and although I've had it for some time now, I'm not big into electric, so I've only raced it a handful of times.

Infact I'm just re-building it for the first time since I've had it??!!!

It's a nice, simple car. Plenty of adjustments to get the car dialed in. Plenty of parts support from the LHS and set-ups galore from Associated's web site.
The car drives nice and is very durable for sure!

The instruction manual, although adequate, is not great and obviously outdated compared to manuals you'll see nowadays.

A good trick is to make the steering mechanism bind just a little bit (!) When you shim to take out all the slop. Why? Because then it becomes really smoooooth and this shows in the cars handling!

You can still get this car to drive very fast and you can be competative against the modern cars although ultimately, it's not capable of being as fast as them.

Hope this helps. I enjoy running the car when I do go electric racing!!

Regards,
British Menace
Old 04-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Someone at AE made a monumental mistake by including those shitty blue aluminum screws in that car. I guarantee it cost AE at least one customer for years.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I am looking into buying a used chassis of this as well.

How strong are the hubs on the 4 corners? Also I was wondering how the clearance is-- is this suitable for parking lot racing? (I would put something to protect the bottom, of course...)
Old 04-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Someone at AE made a monumental mistake by including those shitty blue aluminum screws in that car.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that! Mind you, the only ones I have a problem with are the countersunk ones (which, unfortunately, is most of them). *WAY* too easy to strip the heads out of them, even with quality tools. I went through and replaced them all with proper alloy/steel ones and haven't had a problem since.
www.ccrccc.org

Associated TC3 - 540 rocket
Associated TC4 - Novak GTB, 17.5 Stock car
TT TS4N Luxe, Pro.12BX - Pullstart Nitro
XRC RC-1 - giggle factor :-)
mrbonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

yeah I agree, I have my FT TC4 up for sale now, and lost a win in the Bmain because of a stupid screw coming out on the bottom of my chassis. My car had to be pulled. What a goof!!

But I upgraded to the TC5 and all they screws are steel and one size pretty much, not the puny 1/16 they used to have!! Two big thumbs up for that upgrade!!!
Tron 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to stanislow

i agree with adam, those screws caused me more pain in the ass then any on my TC5, go with a tc5 to not want to break your new tc4 in half
Mad Scientist Motors
stanislow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If your going to race competitively, give yourself the best chance for sucess and spend the additional $200 and get the TC5.

The main reason the FT TC4 your looking at is selling for $130 is because it simply doesnt perform as well as the other cars out there. If it did, they would be getting a lot more than that for it.

But no matter what, dont rely on internet advise. For all we know the TC4 might be the car to have at your local club races.

The best thing to do is to go to the track you plan to race at and see for yourself what the guys are running and ask them.
Ed237 is offline   Reply With Quote