R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-10-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minicooper Send a message via Yahoo to minicooper
Default Looking for variable power supply

Hi all.
Does anyone know if there is something you can connect to my 12V power supply so that I can adjust the output? Not looking for a new power supply that does 110 to variable 0v-12V but maybe some sort of dc to dc variable converter. I did a few search on the internet but still not really sure which would work. Looking to use it for tire warmers and whatever other 5~7volt accesories I might have. THANKS

Something like this? http://www.anykits.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=264

(sorry for the double post. This is in another thread as well, more traffic here?)
Old 04-11-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minicooper View Post
Hi all.
Does anyone know if there is something you can connect to my 12V power supply so that I can adjust the output? Not looking for a new power supply that does 110 to variable 0v-12V but maybe some sort of dc to dc variable converter. I did a few search on the internet but still not really sure which would work. Looking to use it for tire warmers and whatever other 5~7volt accesories I might have. THANKS

Something like this? http://www.anykits.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=264

(sorry for the double post. This is in another thread as well, more traffic here?)
i think you would be looking for a variable 555 timer (pulse width modulator). if you look up 555 voltage regulation circuits it should give you an idea. the chip can handle 500mah as it is, but i would recommend using a mosfet for something like tyre warmers, so bear that in mind when you build it.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to komkit Send a message via AIM to komkit Send a message via Yahoo to komkit

If you want to rig your own DC-DC. The easiest way to do is to get LM723 voltage regulator (2V-37V) with 150ma output. Then use the pass transistor or some heavy duty Darlington pair to get the high current output. Then have a capacitor at the output to charge up the output voltage and to soft start the motor, just in cause you want to it to run the motor.
komkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

I have an Alnac 32amp P/S that is adjustable from 5V to 16V.

How many amps are you wanting to use? I have seen some 1am DC-DC convertors for about $15 check ebay I used the keywords "dc-dc" and "varible dc" and both came up with good searches but different results
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote