Wiki Posts
Search

Rubber tire life?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Rubber tire life?

On a preped asphalt track not a parking lot what is the life for rubber tires. this would be my first rubber tire season if i decide to give it a shot. i am on a budjet so i would like to know the maximum lenght i can get out of a set of tires.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If your setup is good they will last for a very long time I have had over a month before on one set. If your setup has alot of push those tires will be shredded in no time. I would say on average depending on how crazy you are about having perfect rims and tires 3-5 race days.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

first, you should let us know what tir compund are you goin to use
and second, what motor is going to be mounted in your chassis.
With a milder-stock motor and medium compund tires it shouldnt be a problem to make a 20 runs out of a set.
With modified, i would say 3runs, after that tires are almost useless.
Have to add, setup and driving style can give input on tire life as well
Old 04-04-2008, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

it would be 10.5, 19turn, or 13.5 with jaco blues or greens depending on grip.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
it would be 10.5, 19turn, or 13.5 with jaco blues or greens depending on grip.
Crewman - your from my area, which track(s)?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Good question to ask.

I haven't driven any rubbers on carpet or asphalt. Where I live it has all been foams. When I started racing it was dirt oval and the trick was to use rubber slicks and I think I went the whole racing season without changing the set.

I just started practicing on a large asphalt track with my dusty sedan and I can see that they will not last longer than 3 race days in mod. They are the old Speedmind's 32 and 27's
Old 04-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

On average I would say 8 runs and they will be practice tires if your track is super competitive. If you can afford to drop off 2-3/ths per lap then you can stretch it out.....
Old 04-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Hey andy i have been considering giving asphalt a try this summer (still tossed between nitro or electric right now i am leening toward electric.) this is all depending on the sale of my t2 007 us edtion. i was looking at blue diamond jackson and the bowl. you run the bowl so what do you suggest for that track. also do you think the the us edtion would work or would it be more worth selling it and trying to get a car that is more asphalt ready such as the jrxs type r or the serpent s400
thanks
Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Lord

Lots of new interest in rubber tires lately. Awesome. :-)
Old 04-04-2008, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Lots of new interest in rubber tires lately. Awesome. :-)
I second that!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CREWMAN
Hey andy i have been considering giving asphalt a try this summer (still tossed between nitro or electric right now i am leening toward electric.) this is all depending on the sale of my t2 007 us edtion. i was looking at blue diamond jackson and the bowl. you run the bowl so what do you suggest for that track. also do you think the the us edtion would work or would it be more worth selling it and trying to get a car that is more asphalt ready such as the jrxs type r or the serpent s400
thanks
Stick w/ electric. With BL & LIPO taking off in our area, there will be a larger electric class than in previous years. As for the car, just keep the 007, and get the EU chassis & upper deck and a multi diff. Then if we ever get a carpet track, you will have a car for both.

I have not been to BD yet, so I can't say for sure how tire wear is there, but have heard some say a couple of weeks per set. The Bowl you can easily get 2 1/2 weeks of racing (no practice) on a set (RP30's) w/o much drop in times. Jackson is still TBD since the new asphalt only went down last fall, and we really did not get a chance to run on it. The C & 301 in MD are excellent on rubber tires as well, 2-3 weeks per set.

The above is all based on RP & CS tire, mostly RP30. Other brands may last longer, but that was the most common used tire in the area.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If they lowered the min weight due to lipo, would that lower tire wear?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

I would think less weight would require less forces to wheel a car around a track.

but IMO I feel sedans need to be rubber tires and with less weight, rubbers will last a longer. Go rubbers for the looks, performance and simplicity.

Foams are nice, but with foams you have two choices. Always adjust your car for tire wear or true your tires for a single use run. Foams on pan cars are a different story.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

5 weeks on the same jaco rubbers and they are still are turning fast laps. what causes me to buy a new set of tires when the cheap jaco rims crack!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The better you car setup the longer the tires will stay fast. A car that slides or pushes will eat tires. Ideally you want to see even tire wear front and rear.

On a good car tires will produce fast lap times for:

Mod 2-4 runs
10.5/19T 4-6 runs
17.5/Stock 6-10 runs

After that you can use them for a dozens runs of practice. The car will push a little and be a couple 10th off the pace but still good to get track time....just don't try to setup up a car for old tires its a waste of time.

I usually get 2 weekends out of a set of tires in 10.5...unless some ones bolts on freshies for the main then I have to do the same

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.