R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I don't see how you guys are breaking parts or burning up bearings on the TC5. I have had my car since it first came out and I have only broken 2 things on it, rear hub and steering knuckle. My son, who likes to let go of the wheel on the radio and only has 2 throttle positions (full or off) has only broken 1 item on his car. So as far as the car being brittle, I guess it depends on the type of barriers at the track you race at, we have 2x4's. I am afraid to think of how much money I would have had to fork over for Corally parts.

Either way, you have picked 2 good cars to choose from and you probably can't go wrong with either one. Check to see what everyone else is running at your track and what parts are on the wall. That way you can get help when/if you are struggling to find the right setup.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #17
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Smoke View Post
Im loving the Mission Mi-3 since its claiming to be LiPO compatible, and I dont know for sure if the AE TC5 is or not.
You should have no trouble running Lipo's in the TC5.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to dfiantii Send a message via Yahoo to dfiantii

Darth I wanted to apologize if I came off as trying to bash you since you have you opinion about Losi. I myself am looking for a new TC and I am coming from running a TT-01 which I know I spent way to much money on but will never be TC ready. I looked at the TC5, the PHI, MI-3, XRAY and the Tamiya TRF415 and it really came down to what does my local hobby shop support. From my experience with Tamiya I did not want to have to shop online for all my parts. And being a college student and working part time (prior military) I wanted something that was different not like all the rest meaning batteries on one side electronics on the other. I guess you can say once I made my decision to go Losi it was done and I am a bit biased to the negativity. You have owned a few so now I understand your position.
dfiantii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:20 AM   #19
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
In the event of a good crash, you will most likely than not 4/5 times walk away from the crash finish your race with an MI3...while in a similar crash, 3/5 times you will have to end your race due to the TC5 breaking.
Dont believe that for a minute. The TC5 is very durable in a crash. I barrel rolled full throttle off a turtle 4ft high into the wall and have driven away and finished a race with a TC5. It rarely breaks, and in 6 months racing with it I only did not finish 2 total races from part breakage...and I am not exactly a gifted driver. I already have 2 did not finished with Xray 007 in the first week of racing...but one was my fault for not catching stripped threads in knuckle.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Again anything can be broken,i drove for schumacher and it is an excellent car but there arms are brittle,no issue at all with the tc5
Old 04-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm surprised at the people that say TC5 are brittle. I don't run one but there's a bunch of them at my track and you rarely see anyone pull off because they broke. Actually I could probably count on one hand how many times I've seen a TC5 break. Our track isn't car friendly at all either.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

TC5.... 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th at the recent New Zealand Nationals.
Not a Mi3 in sight.
As for breakages. I have run my TC5 for over 6 months now and have not broken anything. I have worn out a couple of parts but have not broken a thing.
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 03:51 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Isn't the Cyclone the current World Champ or at the very least a former World Champ. HPI made the r40 a former world champ. How can you call the Cyclone low end?
revo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #24
Tech Master

HPI has High end Drivers
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)
Default Mi3 or Tc5?

This is the same old question that you will get many different answers too.
I run a Mi3 and I love it. If you go to my local track you will find Mi3's and
Tc5's. I have seen guys break Mi3 parts get pissed and buy a Tc5 and break those part too!

If you hit walls you WILL break parts. I can say that I know the Shawn and Adam at Schumacher well and they are very friendly and are always willing to help out. Schumacher customer service is second to none.

I don't think you will go wrong with either car. I did my research at my local track before I purchased a car and the deciding factors included the following.
1. what did other racers run at my track (so i can get help as i need it!)
2. how hard is it to get parts

Schumacher won!
anotherrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Well i guess the real question is, Do you want to race or just play? Both cars are good cars. I would'nt mind haveing a TC5 to play with in a parking lot. Although when I want to get serious at the track I know my SHUMACHER Mi3 with speedpassion speedo and motor next to my core lipo under my eastcoast body painted and stickered by nuwave graffix will out perform anything else. So I guess what I am trying to say is that if it was up to me, I would get you an Mi3.

TEAM LOSI/NOVA ROSSI/J-CONCEPTS/FRANCHIZE DEZIGNS/PROLINE/WERKS/FD WRAPS/AIRTRONICS/OS/AKA
drew07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Oh I almost forgot. The customer service is by far the best I have ever had in the industry, and I have been in for a long time. Shawn and Adam will never leave you hanging and if you have any question about anything the SHUMACHER CORNER thread is top notch and running strong. By the way, I am not just saying this because I am a TEAM driver, but that does help.

TEAM LOSI/NOVA ROSSI/J-CONCEPTS/FRANCHIZE DEZIGNS/PROLINE/WERKS/FD WRAPS/AIRTRONICS/OS/AKA
drew07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve eaves View Post
Again anything can be broken,i drove for schumacher and it is an excellent car but there arms are brittle,no issue at all with the tc5
Schumacher Mi3 has 3 different arm materials; Carbon Fiber (kit standard), Medium Glass Fiber and Ultraflex Low Glass fiber.

If you crash a lot the C/F arms can crack but they rarely completely break. The Medium front arms give more steering and are VERY difficult to break. They are the hot setup for asphalt and rubber carpet racing. The rear arms never break and we keep those C/F to reduce rear traction for more rotation and corner speed.

The Ultra Flex arms are...uh...pretty much for bashers and for training your 6 years old to drive. You can't break them as they seem to be made from rubber...lol! They are too soft to be useful for racing.

FYI, I was the US sales manager for Schumacher for 6 years before Shawn. After I left I could have raced any car I wanted to run...I chose to keep running the Mi3.

The bottom line is that the Mi3 is so adjustable you have no excuses. If you you can't an Mi3 to work you won't get anything to work. Even though you can adjust anything to any degree you want its still easy to setup because we have so many good setups for different types of tracks. No matter where you race some one on Schumacher Corner has a setup that will get your car 97% perfect for your track. The last 3% is very fine tuning (shock angle, camber, etc.).. and thats up to you.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:07 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
The bottom line is that the Mi3 is so adjustable you have no excuses. If you you can't get an Mi3 to work you won't get anything to work. Even though you can adjust anything to any degree you want its still easy to setup because we have so many good setups for different types of tracks. No matter where you race some one on Schumacher Corner has a setup that will get your car 97% perfect for your track. The last 3% is very fine tuning (shock angle, camber, etc.).. and thats up to you.
Very well put Adrian One of the best post on this comparison.

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #30
Tech Adept

Thanks guys.......I will say I am leaning towards the Mi-3. As I will do some racing in Omaha at the Hobbyplex, I just need to get up there and see what is in stock, and ran...either way, I dont care if I order parts, or get them at the "Plex". With my scheduling as a contractor I am super busy.....so a every weekend racing event just doesnt happen, so its going to be a bit of both bashing(at job sites/parking lots :P ) and racing.

Thanks for the advice!
Darth Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote