Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
ROAR Lipo "C" Rating Standarized Method >

ROAR Lipo "C" Rating Standarized Method

ROAR Lipo "C" Rating Standarized Method

Old 04-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default ROAR Lipo "C" Rating Standarized Method

Dear ROAR...would you please step in and decide which method is best for determining C rating on lipos...I've been reading the CORE5000 threads from Shawn Palmer, and those SMC and Orion, and they all have different explanations and ways to determine C rating on the Lipos we buy. Can you all just get together and decide on one method/standard and make it standerd for all manufacturers to follow, so we all have more accurate information and know what we are buying. Is so confusing with all this 15, 16, 20, 22, 25, 28C ratings, and each has his own version and way to determine, and in the end we are confused. This has to stop. Please help us
Old 04-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm not sure this is a ROAR issue....... But someone needs to find a standard for the rest to follow.

Just keep in mind not every company uses the same cell matching techniques with nicad or nimh either.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jeffb
I'm not sure this is a ROAR issue....... But someone needs to find a standard for the rest to follow.

Just keep in mind not every company uses the same cell matching techniques with nicad or nimh either.
Maybe. But ROAR should regulate this and manufacturers will follow the method. Their equipment can follow the standart set by ROAR, which ever it is. ROAR aproves lipos according to their set standards, and manufacturers have to adjust and make them ROAR legal to be able to participate in their events. In ROAR sets limit of 5000mah, but a certain company makes theirs 5500mah, but advertizes as only 5000mah, and their afiliated with ROAR, it looks bad on ROAR as well- false advertizing/fraud.

If I use DAnny/SMC "C" rating method, I will not get same "C" rating results Shawn Palmer claims for his CORE5000 packs and vice versa. This is not right!!!
C
Old 04-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

This is no different then the issues that racers had between Lavco and CE matching numbers. The market will bear the best methods, and create some kind of standard.

This really is not in ROAR's scope.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

I agree, there have been problems before, with other types of batteries and they were standardized by the buying public
Old 04-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TimPotter
This is no different then the issues that racers had between Lavco and CE matching numbers. The market will bear the best methods, and create some kind of standard.

This really is not in ROAR's scope.
True, however, it doesnt mean that it was good. If ROAR steps in and controls this now, we dont have to go thru the problems in nimh dinosaur age.

Will it make the hobby and lipo use in general better? Defenitely!!! So why not. I'm sure Danny/SMC and Mr. Palmer and the Orion and trakpower people can sit down and talk about this come up with a solution
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Xtreme2008
True, however, it doesnt mean that it was good. If ROAR steps in and controls this now, we dont have to go thru the problems in nimh dinosaur age.

Will it make the hobby and lipo use in general better? Defenitely!!! So why not. I'm sure Danny/SMC and Mr. Palmer and the Orion and trakpower people can sit down and talk about this come up with a solution
This is not a ROAR issue.

If the manufacturers want to get together and standardize their testing, it is up to them to do so.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Tech Legend

You can`t base your buying decisions for Lipo base on C-rating ...

You can feel the differents between a 20c & 25c..
Its not much but it is noticable ..

However , myself would have a tuff time to notice the difference between a 25c & 27C for instance....

So things like a hard case for protection , capacity and the price would be more important in choosing a Lipo for you....
Old 04-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

It doesnt really matter the rating of the cells because eventually (soon) everything will shake out and people will know which cells perform best on the track. Then we will all rush out and buy those regardless of what # is in front of the C.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

It's also my understanding that not all printed "c" numbers are really testing out to be what they say they are......

Be wise in your choices.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ASM
It's also my understanding that not all printed "c" numbers are really testing out to be what they say they are......

Be wise in your choices.
Exactly!! For example, if I use Danny/SMC C rating method, and I buy Core5000 pack, according to Danny/SMC C rating defenition, the Core pack will not be the 20C claimed by Shawn Palmer/Schumacher USA. Or if I buy SMC 28C lipo, but figure out its C rating according to Shawn Palmer's defenition, then the SMC pack will be lower than 28C. SO who is tellin the truth? How can we know what we buy? The only way is for all to decided one sole method to have euqal measureing methods!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Xtreme2008
Exactly!! For example, if I use Danny/SMC C rating method, and I buy Core5000 pack, according to Danny/SMC C rating defenition, the Core pack will not be the 20C claimed by Shawn Palmer/Schumacher USA. Or if I buy SMC 28C lipo, but figure out its C rating according to Shawn Palmer's defenition, then the SMC pack will be lower than 28C. SO who is tellin the truth? How can we know what we buy? The only way is for all to decided one sole method to have euqal measureing methods!
I don't think ROAR can do anything, C rating are just for Marketting only. And I don't think ROAR can tell each company/manufacture how to market their products!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

did roar control how NIMH battery numbers are determined? some companys discharge to a lower voltage then others, also some discharged at different rates: some dischaged at 20amps, some 30amps and some 35amps. don't think this is a roar issue.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

In the total scope of everything RC, Just how many Amps do you require from your packs? I thought mod motors pull in the neighbor hood of 30 amps or so? Even the orion 4800 15C pack will pull 72 amps with a burst of 150. Are you sure your not getting C ratings confused with IR? I really dont see how anyone can feel a differance in C ratings, most packs are going to be able to supply atleast 2x-3x the power requirements you will ever use.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Xtreme2008: I have never mentioned that the Core packs would not be 20C based on the industry standard to test Lipos C rate. I'm pretty sure they would be 20C. Our 28C packs are true 28C packs based on the industry standard. We have posted the graphs on our Lipo thread.

I really don't see what ROAR would have to do with this and I don't think they would want to invest in the equipment to test C rate as it's very expensive to get accurate equipment that can load a cell in the 140+ amp range.

Since SMC, REEDY , Core , Maxamps , Checkpoint , Orion and others are only buying packs and reselling them we have nothing to do with C rate. We use the C rate that is provided to us by the manufacturer.

SMC decided to cycle all packs on the T35GFX so we show the consumer what he's getting and this also allows us to see if any packs are faulty or not up to standards. This is an extra step to costs money but we feel it's the way it should be done. All our competitors have access to the T35GFX and can do the same as what we do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.