Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Choice of tuning options... which first? >

Choice of tuning options... which first?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Choice of tuning options... which first?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 12:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Choice of tuning options... which first?

I'm new to RC, but I've read a number of tuning tips/guides, so I have a large choice of options to address the understeer my TC3 has. What should I try first? Does it make a difference? I could adjust toe (I've already played with that a bit), springs, oil, caster, shock mount location, roll bar, etc... I'm not sure where to start. I was going to go for softer springs up front, then maybe cambor or shock mount position? Is there a general prefered order of adjustments for basic under or oversteer, or should I throw a dart at my list of choices and try wherever it hits?

Thanks...

-David
Old 07-19-2003, 12:31 AM
Tech Master

wen addresing under-oversteer u should try big things firstie,springs,toe anglesdamper positions, anti-roll bars.then u got the finer tuning like roll centres,shock oil,kick up,anti squat etc.for a understeery car u could stifen the back or soften the front.
Old 07-19-2003, 12:46 AM
Tech Adept

Good tires help fix alot of problems, try tightening your rear diff aswell
Old 07-19-2003, 12:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

How about analizing where the understeer is.... going int turns off throttle, in the middle of the turn, or coming off the turn while appliing throttle???

Aso remember that an understeer situation can also be relieved by changing your driving style.....

For me I always start with droop.....
Old 07-19-2003, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, understeer for a lot of beginners is just a case of trying to go through the corners too fast...

A well-built TC3 using the kit settings, and the right tyres for the track, should handle pretty well in most situations, so check that the car is running smooth, the dampers are properly set up (enough oil, even ride height), before you make other adjustments, cos adjustments on a badly prepared car don't work.

Apart from that, softer front springing will usually give more steering everywhere, other things can be used to adjsut the on-power/off-power balance, and entry/mid-corner/exit handling.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:21 AM
Tech Regular

this is how i would start(for fixing you understeer), try your car inbetween each change.
first set your camber for even tire wear or to the factory seting(play with some different angles later).
second stiffen rear springs(i don't like to have extreme differences between front and rear so if this doesn't fully work move onto the next step).
third add more rear droop.

also tires and inserts are a very big part of getting your car dailed i have found take off's CS27's to be very good all round tires, but you should find out what the guys at your track are using.
try these things and see how you get on, this is only how "I" would go about this, so anyone feel free to coment on what i've said.
i think you'll find droop to be the most powerful tuning option, but i feel springs should be the first thing to work with.
let us know how you get on
Old 07-19-2003, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

GTMilenko hit the nail on the head, get the tyres the fast guys are running. Then make sure you driving smooth fast lines that hit the apex and set you up for the next corner.

As for understear, the first thing I always change is the shock pistons (I have the serpent extrernally adjustable shocks so it takes less then 30 sec's to change them).

Last edited by fatdoggy; 07-19-2003 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:19 AM
Tech Master

Reduce the rear toe in if all else fails! As the car rolls to the outside the rear tyre is pointing in the oposite direction to the front and so counteracting the effect of steering. This will make it less stable in a straight line though.

Also fit a stiffer anti roll bar at the back.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

getting better tyres will not help because all u will get is higher grip but u will still understeer.unless u put the gripier tyre on the front and keep the back tyre the same as now.
wen u do set up changes a lot ull soon realise which setting change to make.
for ur question u cud eighther
stiffen back
soften front
Old 07-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by trf racer
getting better tyres will not help because all u will get is higher grip but u will still understeer.unless u put the gripier tyre on the front and keep the back tyre the same as now.
If you get tyres that grip the track instead of sliding then it won't change anything and your car will still push? B/S That is a load of crap.

Getting the right tyres is a hugh part of setup, if you don't have the right tyres and you arn't a very good driver then you'll have a hell of a time keeping up. Sure with the grippy tyres your car will still need to be setup anyway, but it should be easier since your not trying to find grip.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. I went out today and decided not to change anything (other than adjusting the camber and toe to stock). I'll wait until I can drive the line I want, even if it's at half the speed of the fast guys, before I start messing with setup. A good deal of the push is coming from entering the corners too hot and off the throttle... the car just keeps going (not a surprise when I think about it). I need to slow down, drive the line, and gradually pick up the pace while making sure I can stay on the line. Right now I'm all over the place... I just wish I could get out more for practice...

Oh, and I am running the right tires and inserts, but I'm not putting the tire sauce (?) on like most of the other guys are...

-David
Old 07-19-2003, 10:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by dizzy
Thanks guys. I went out today and decided not to change anything (other than adjusting the camber and toe to stock). I'll wait until I can drive the line I want, even if it's at half the speed of the fast guys, before I start messing with setup. A good deal of the push is coming from entering the corners too hot and off the throttle... the car just keeps going (not a surprise when I think about it). I need to slow down, drive the line, and gradually pick up the pace while making sure I can stay on the line. Right now I'm all over the place... I just wish I could get out more for practice...

Oh, and I am running the right tires and inserts, but I'm not putting the tire sauce (?) on like most of the other guys are...

-David
that sounds like a good plan.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

You'll get better don't worry. Putting tyre sauce on should give you more grip and get rid of some of the push. But if you learn without the sauce you won't be able to push the limits as much which is probably a good thing when your just learning the lines. Try it and see if it helps you, if not don't bother.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 07-20-2003 at 01:56 AM.