Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Chasis Design/Layout Thread >

Chasis Design/Layout Thread

Chasis Design/Layout Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Chasis Design/Layout Thread

What is the best chassis design or layout in the market today and why? Basically there are two main chassis configuaration:

1) Center : Type R and TME4 who like the battery/motor down the center.

2) Side: motor on one side, battery on the other side, like Xray T2, MI3, Tamiya TRF 416, Hb Cyclone, etc.

What is the advantage of one over the other? Any unique charactestics for each? Which is better for carpet, asphalt racing and why?

We want to hear from engineer minds...explain your view and share your experience with us. Give us the science behind these cars
Old 03-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

hmmm this looks like a nice thread...look for Adrian Martinez- he's on the Schumacher or Speed Passion, or BMI threads often and I'm sure he'll be more than glad to comment on this. His broomstick analogies are second to none
Old 03-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Addict

It's a tough call, as each has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

Center - The centralized placement of the motor and battery are good for reducing body roll, however this usually requires really wide diffs. (Look at a HPI pro3 or Losi JRXS) I'm not convinced this is the best solution, as this causes excess rotating weight, unless built from lightweight (and potentially weak) plastics.

Side - The problem with this layout, is balancing the chassis left-to-right. Adding weight is almost always required.

My .02 - A combination of the 2 designs, will probably be the next step taken by manufacturers/designers. Imagine a battery pack sitting off-set from center. (perhaps 3/4 of battery over center line) with a single belt running between the diffs, which have the same orientation. (pulley on same side of car). Oh, and yes, I know... this design would still be susceptable to weight balance problems, depending on the battery used. It would be less severe however.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
hmmm this looks like a nice thread...look for Adrian Martinez- he's on the Schumacher or Speed Passion, or BMI threads often and I'm sure he'll be more than glad to comment on this. His broomstick analogies are second to none
LMAO
Old 04-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AdrianM
LMAO
There he is...waz up Adrian...We'd like to read abit more about your explanation of why is that layouts like the side motor MI3, etc, are better because the weight/mass is more centralized, and the cars can turn better.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Thistle
It's a tough call, as each has it's own advantages and disadvantages.

Center - The centralized placement of the motor and battery are good for reducing body roll, however this usually requires really wide diffs. (Look at a HPI pro3 or Losi JRXS) I'm not convinced this is the best solution, as this causes excess rotating weight, unless built from lightweight (and potentially weak) plastics.

Side - The problem with this layout, is balancing the chassis left-to-right. Adding weight is almost always required.

My .02 - A combination of the 2 designs, will probably be the next step taken by manufacturers/designers. Imagine a battery pack sitting off-set from center. (perhaps 3/4 of battery over center line) with a single belt running between the diffs, which have the same orientation. (pulley on same side of car). Oh, and yes, I know... this design would still be susceptable to weight balance problems, depending on the battery used. It would be less severe however.
That's what the Team Magic E4 tried to accomplish somewhat. The battery is offset to the left side, and motor is down the center, and servo and electronics are on the right side.

Another option would be saddle pack style layouts like the Xray T1 cars. It would work work Lipo, and 6 cell nimh, but 5 cell would need to adjust a bit.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

That's what the Team Magic E4 tried to accomplish somewhat. The battery is offset to the left side, and motor is down the center, and servo and electronics are on the right side.

Another option would be saddle pack style layouts like the Xray T1 cars. It would work work Lipo, and 6 cell nimh, but 5 cell would need to adjust a bit.
here is a sneak peak at the cad design that Adrian is working on!!

Last edited by Marcos.J; 07-29-2008 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
here is a sneak peak at the cad design that Adrian is working on!!
the all new RUMBA "Sweeper". Corner speeds promise to blow everything else away
Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

"Sweeper" corner speeds promise to blow everything else away