Wiki Posts
Search

new to in door carpet what car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default new to in door carpet what car?

I am new to indoor carpet racing (have been outdoor track racing for a bit now) and am looking for my first car and thinking that I will be going with a touring car I have been looking at the Associated TC3's and TC4's but am not sure if thats the way to go

any general direction and help would be awsome
Old 09-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Depends on your budget and what races in your area. Do they race foam or rubber tire?
Old 09-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Look into a TC5 or XRay. At least then you'll be ahead of the game. Though, my TC4 dose just fine on both asphalt and carpet. just have to set it up differently. The TC5 just makes setups easier.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

I would go with a used xray any of them would be a good choice there is stiil part support for all of them and you can fine one priced right....the fk05 t2 or t2 007 are really good cars for carpet rubber or foam....Later Drew
Old 09-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Tech Rookie

budget isn't to much of an issue and as far as what races i am 99% sure that its foam tires.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I would go with a Losi Type R. There fairly cheap compared to others(kit, Parts, Ex.) They are also extremely versatile I'm running last years carpet car on asphalt right know with only spring, oil and putting a spool in it.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by swisherteets
budget isn't to much of an issue and as far as what races i am 99% sure that its foam tires.

I would look in to getting a new Xray t2 008 it does not get any better then that on carpet foam and the support is great a lot of team driver support and thats a big deal and the company is here to stay...Hope that helps later Drew
Old 09-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

First off I would say do some searches in this forum because this has been discussed many times before.

Car budget is one thing, but costs to support broken or worn out parts is another. The Xray is a great car, but with the 15%-25% increase in parts that I have already seen it makes the car very expensive to support. It gets old replacing $25 thrust bearings in your diff when the competition is $5.

The key is to find out which car is best supported in your area. If there are a bunch of people running Xrays then I would say stick with that, but if I had my choice I would run an AE TC5F/R based on what type of racing you are going to do. This car is pretty bullet proof and is very easy to get parts for.

If you are going to run LIPO this also has to be a consideration. Trying to get a LIPO under the top deck of an Xray 008 US is pretty difficult. The TC5 can accommodate pretty much every LIPO on the market without any modification to the chassis or batteries.

They are all pretty good cars, but the local support should be your biggest consideration. It is cool to have a car that no one else has, but trying to get setup information and finding parts can be tricky if you are all by yourself.

If you have any specific questions on each car be sure to check each of the specific car threads in the electric forums for tons of information. Drew from Xray as you have already seen seems pretty willing to help, so don't be afraid to ask these guys any questions. I am sure that either Rick Howart or Kevin Hebert from AE would also be willing to help.

Good luck with you decision.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Don't listen to Drew. He's a very slow/poor driver and has little to no experience..... unless it's back to back

j/k

honestly..... look at what the local shop supports the most. X-Ray 08', Corally Phi, Losi type R are the top three cars for carpet.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Haha I am taking that this is Casey... Did you have fun getting your tools back from vegas make sure you clean them before the next race...The Bear[TEAM TOOL SMUGGLER] LOL....Artwork hit it dead on the best post on the thread except about the TC5....Just joking there all good cars...Later Drew
Old 09-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Tech Rookie

awsome thanks for the help guys
they had a drivers meeting today that i went to and i looked a little more into what they are running and it seems that most are running the tc4's so i think thats the way that i am gonna go.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Just got back into carpet bought a Corally PHI best carpet car I have ever driven and easy to work on.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

awsome thanks for the help guys
they had a drivers meeting today that i went to and i looked a little more into what they are running and it seems that most are running the tc4's so i think thats the way that i am gonna go.
I guess the question you have to ask yourself is do you want to be the same or faster then the people you race against. You put anyone one of these cars up against a tc4 and you'll definitely have an advantage.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by artwork
It gets old replacing $25 thrust bearings in your diff when the competition is $5.
Who buys XRay thrust bearings The Losi one is a direct replacement for about $5.
Been many years since I bought a genuine XRay thrust
Honestly I cant remember the last time I broke a part on my 07 or 08... I am sure I did but its so long ago I forget what it was.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis
I would go with a used xray any of them would be a good choice there is stiil part support for all of them and you can fine one priced right....the fk05 t2 or t2 007 are really good cars for carpet rubber or foam....Later Drew

Very true here. Xray's are very durable.

Go with an 008 then. You will have a very good fit and finished car. It also handles great. If you look at what wins races the Xray is always at the top.

Originally Posted by artwork
First off I would say do some searches in this forum because this has been discussed many times before.

Car budget is one thing, but costs to support broken or worn out parts is another. The Xray is a great car, but with the 15%-25% increase in parts that I have already seen it makes the car very expensive to support. It gets old replacing $25 thrust bearings in your diff when the competition is $5.

The key is to find out which car is best supported in your area. If there are a bunch of people running Xrays then I would say stick with that, but if I had my choice I would run an AE TC5F/R based on what type of racing you are going to do. This car is pretty bullet proof and is very easy to get parts for.

If you are going to run LIPO this also has to be a consideration. Trying to get a LIPO under the top deck of an Xray 008 US is pretty difficult. The TC5 can accommodate pretty much every LIPO on the market without any modification to the chassis or batteries.

They are all pretty good cars, but the local support should be your biggest consideration. It is cool to have a car that no one else has, but trying to get setup information and finding parts can be tricky if you are all by yourself.

If you have any specific questions on each car be sure to check each of the specific car threads in the electric forums for tons of information. Drew from Xray as you have already seen seems pretty willing to help, so don't be afraid to ask these guys any questions. I am sure that either Rick Howart or Kevin Hebert from AE would also be willing to help.

Good luck with you decision.
Very good point on the local support.

But you do not need to fit the lipo under the top deck. With a new lipo plate that EA is selling you can offset the pack or angle the pack so you can get a great balance.

Originally Posted by Drew Ellis
I would look in to getting a new Xray t2 008 it does not get any better then that on carpet foam and the support is great a lot of team driver support and thats a big deal and the company is here to stay...Hope that helps later Drew
Yeah there are guys that can go 5 months without running a foam car, go to a large international race and TQ a class. 008=grat car.

Great job at the IIC Drew.