R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #1276
Tech Elite

yeti - no, we were camping in the mountians. our next race is this weekend in acton mt., next week we will be in topeka, ks. the next week is i.i.c., and the next week we will be in earlville iowa. looks like i will be living out of a suitcase for a while. i hope my wife is still there when i get home.
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #1277
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
yeti - no, we were camping in the mountians. our next race is this weekend in acton mt., next week we will be in topeka, ks. the next week is i.i.c., and the next week we will be in earlville iowa. looks like i will be living out of a suitcase for a while. i hope my wife is still there when i get home.

she was there when i stopped by yesterday......

sorry i had to it was there......

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:41 AM   #1278

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
The difference is that 130 degrees is in the safe zone and 180 degrees isn't.
Indeed Rick, I never advocated warming them to 180 degrees for a race. I simply said the information is out there. Search into the SMC thread, and Checkpoint threads. 130* is a good benchmark for a warmed lipo.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #1279
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. losi View Post

sorry i had to it was there......
AHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Mr. Losi, I don't know you,,,, but I respect you.

Warming Lipo: Bah. Those of you who believe that a warm lipo is what gives you a good jump off the line need to work on your speedo setting and motor timing. I beat my lipo like a ginger snap kid stuck at a brunett convention. There is more than enough power to shred my diffs and there is NO WAY I would want more punch up front. Granted, my punch and timing is jacked to the top..... but that's legal.... and more importantly,,,,, safe.

The vast majority of people going are not good enough to make a show. Not slamming, just stating fact. I'll place a $10 vegas bet that the people who make the show are not going to be warming packs, but cutting very clean lines, not scrubbing or pushing... gearing correctly and using what the speedo/motor has to offer.

So until I hear PL, Baker, Boice, Haynes, Cuffs, Dumas, or any of the other top level guys crying out that its isn't 'fair'...... I'm going to look kindly on the wild eyed expressions of those who feel they 'need' to warm a lipo to be competitive, walk over to their car and adjust the brushed gearing to brushless, incorrect ride height, collapsed spring, defunct right front shock, blown pully bearing or shredded tire and show them that 2 laps comes from a clean ride driven on clean lines not a 50 degree increase in lipo temp that fades after 1 minute......

WRENCH YOUR GEAR, NOT YOUR FEAR!

16 days until IIc.... do you know where your fast lap is?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #1280
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HenBeav

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
AHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Mr. Losi, I don't know you,,,, but I respect you.

Warming Lipo: Bah. Those of you who believe that a warm lipo is what gives you a good jump off the line need to work on your speedo setting and motor timing. I beat my lipo like a ginger snap kid stuck at a brunett convention. There is more than enough power to shred my diffs and there is NO WAY I would want more punch up front. Granted, my punch and timing is jacked to the top..... but that's legal.... and more importantly,,,,, safe.

The vast majority of people going are not good enough to make a show. Not slamming, just stating fact. I'll place a $10 vegas bet that the people who make the show are not going to be warming packs, but cutting very clean lines, not scrubbing or pushing... gearing correctly and using what the speedo/motor has to offer.

So until I hear PL, Baker, Boice, Haynes, Cuffs, Dumas, or any of the other top level guys crying out that its isn't 'fair'...... I'm going to look kindly on the wild eyed expressions of those who feel they 'need' to warm a lipo to be competitive, walk over to their car and adjust the brushed gearing to brushless, incorrect ride height, collapsed spring, defunct right front shock, blown pully bearing or shredded tire and show them that 2 laps comes from a clean ride driven on clean lines not a 50 degree increase in lipo temp that fades after 1 minute......

WRENCH YOUR GEAR, NOT YOUR FEAR!

wow that's a nice post, but you missed the whole point.

why should someone who runs lipo be handicapped right off the start? going by the theory of good lines and set up then why not run a 18.5 in 17.5? if you are good enough in other areas than you should make up the difference somewhere else. but you shouldn't have to make up the difference thats the point.

So far as the car setup, you can come check mine and my gearing whenever you want, i might not drive the cleanest lines but the car will be there, i just might not be there to drive it, thats why i'm in the amature class. But when you know you are already going to be lacking in one area you do all you can to make up for it in other areas, such as getting the best you can out of you battery. I'm sure all those guys you mentioned making the show won't want the best batteries since they are good enough anyways, probably be a bunch of 3300's in mod then using that logic?

The worst thing about this we all know that at least a few nimh cells will explode and nobody seems to care about that, but if one lipo swells up the world might end.

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #1281
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to turd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
You guys should just run mod and will have more power than you'll ever need without having to warm your battery.
Exactly!!

MOD RULES!
Old 08-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #1282
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenBeav View Post
The worst thing about this we all know that at least a few nimh cells will explode and nobody seems to care about that, but if one lipo swells up the world might end.
Thing is Nimh blows up, end of drama. Lipo swells up and then could be a big fireball which could bring the whole hotel down. That is the big difference. Yes, I know Lipos can be used safely also, but I have seen the aftermath of opperator error with a Lipo and it is way more destructive then the Nimh explosion. Scotty wants the event to be run safe so we will be invited back again next year. So you need to look at it from his prospective.

You are already admitting you are not a top level driver, so what is this little advantage on charging the pack this way going to help you over all other then possibly hitting the boards faster? If you were a top level and need this advantage, then by all means you have right to complain about it. Just come to the event, have fun and live the experience that IIC is.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #1283
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post

Attached to a warm LIPO

no seriously think that people just want to feel like they can compete on the same level from an equipment perspective. I have never warmed a LIPO and my cars work just fine. I turn fast laps with a half used LIPO. The speed is in the car and driver more then any other place. Speed does you no good if you can't drive or setup your car.

Let's move on to other things like will there be radio impound?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #1284
Tech Legend

Nk Ml batterys are dangerous and need safety measures of there own...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #1285
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HenBeav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti35 View Post
You are already admitting you are not a top level driver, so what is this little advantage on charging the pack this way going to help you over all other then possibly hitting the boards faster? If you were a top level and need this advantage, then by all means you have right to complain about it. Just come to the event, have fun and live the experience that IIC is.
i might not be but the person next to me could be so maybe he will need the advantage, just trying to express my opion and to try to voice my concerns for fairness that's all, ultimatley i'll do whatever scotty says (as long as i don't have to charge my pack in a dry ice)

Support your local Lowe's, Walmart and Layne Machine Works INC.
HenBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #1286
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It's a poor analogy, but...

If it was suddenly announced a few weeks out from the race that people using NiMH could only charge their packs to 75% capacity, folks would be upset. Especially if they'd already bought their packs for this race.

My issue was only with the timing, not the ruling itself. It's probably a moot point, since I'll be my own worst enemy on the track, but nobody wants to spend thousands of dollars to attend a big race, and show up with a competitive disadvantage before they hit the track, no matter how small.

That's all. Sorry if my earlier tone was offensive. I have nothing but respect for the folks putting this on.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #1287
Tech Regular

Default equal batt's

Ok since I will be running the amateur class I will chime in on this and let the chips fall wherever.

First If we don't warm lipo's I do not care. I think it is an unnecessary step to do and only introduces a possibility for an increased chance of a possible problem.

If warming is allowed at a high profile race then every young racer at his/her local track is going to try to do it to get an advantage. So the probability for future problems increases.

MIMH are slowly being phased out and LIPo phased in. Let's not start processes with this new technology that may--- I repeat may be problematic in the future. I realize this can be done safely by experienced and informed racers. However, as we all know, not everyone keeps themselves fully informed. And even then the information is not always complete and accurate.

If you are running in Amateur class then the probability is you are most likely not going to notice the small difference in voltage from the NIMH after the first couple laps.
After that the point is moot. Just bring it!

I guess what I am saying is I think a better driver will come out on top. Not a driver with NIMH just because he was running NIMH.

If the decision is to allow warming I will be using a "large snake warmer" and look out in the first turn!

Looking forward to Vegas,

Darrald
drsfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #1288
Tech Master

To be fair, I can understand the sudden, knee liquefying fear that you are going to be spending your hard earned coin to travel to a prestigious race and NOT be competitive because of 1 trick of the trade....
That the guy next to you is going to be a total hack but will beat you because he had the one magical trick up his sleeve…..
At last years IIC, Shawn Calloruso was on a TQ pace in 1/12th stock with an ‘ok’ pack and a motor he cut 1 time at the beginning of the week. If he can take that type of power and run a TQ pace, then I’m all good hunting power via dangerous methods. It’s not that I don’t empathize with the hunt for speed, I just believe it’s a more appropriate and in the long run better for the driver to keep it safe and put all the energy from trying to find a magical trick, into a magical looking run.
If you are going to race against people hyper-charging nimh packs, wish them luck for their first 90 seconds of run time. They’ll need it after the pack falls off.

Wrench Your Gear, Not Your Fear
Old 08-11-2008, 04:35 PM   #1289
Tech Elite

mr losi, please come get your shoes out from under my bed, they are starting to stink up the joint. make sure you come talk to me at the race. i like to meet people who have the sdame sense of humor as i do.

with all the recent debate on heating devices, will we be allowed to use tire warmers?
al dente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #1290
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dente View Post
mr losi, please come get your shoes out from under my bed, they are starting to stink up the joint. make sure you come talk to me at the race. i like to meet people who have the sdame sense of humor as i do.

with all the recent debate on heating devices, will we be allowed to use tire warmers?
dang...is that where those are......

i would certainly like to meet ya...but i am afraid of guys like me, so i stay close to home....

you can ask scotty about me though.....he has many mr. losi stories...

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Seuss
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote