R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2008, 11:14 AM   #286
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
The big question is what is a lightweight body and how do you enforce such a rule.

Handout brushless? I don't think I will ever understand the point.

Yeah, i hear you on that one. I already own a 13.5 and 17.5 and would rather see a drop in price then pay for a motor. I can understand to keep the compitition far, but other then changing the rotor, what else can be done to gain advantage?

[HOTBODIES] [SPEED PASSION]
---------------------------------------------------------
overflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:25 AM   #287
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by overflow View Post
Yeah, i hear you on that one. I already own a 13.5 and 17.5 and would rather see a drop in price then pay for a motor. I can understand to keep the compitition far, but other then changing the rotor, what else can be done to gain advantage?
'

take half a wind out ask the BRL oval guys how to do it and a bunch at the snowbirds. it is still within spec most times.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #288
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Hopefully not too much more. And we are working harder than ever to make LRP motors the handout choice for the 2008 IIC.
I guess its not a LRP handout then

I really dont care if its a handout race... the price didnt go up much and I get a ROAR legal motor to take home. Plus it will stop some of the stupid rumors I read after the SnowBirds
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #289
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoman View Post
I guess its not a LRP handout then

I really dont care if its a handout race... the price didnt go up much and I get a ROAR legal motor to take home. Plus it will stop some of the stupid rumors I read after the SnowBirds
Even if it turns out to be LRP, I think it is a bad idea.

Whether the motor are handouts or if you have to bring your own, there is the same ability to cheat, and the same work required to determine the legality of each motor.

The price did not go up much, but it is still $30.00 (and $20.00) more than it needs to be.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #290
Tech Elite

Well $30 isnt going to stop many from a trip to Vegas... a small expense if you look at the total cost of the week
Plus I saved way more by running the rubber tire class.. on tires alone
And I just might end up with a LRP motor to play with... a motor I wouldnt buy if I didnt have too J/K
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 PM   #291
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Quote:
Even if it turns out to be LRP, I think it is a bad idea.

Whether the motor are handouts or if you have to bring your own, there is the same ability to cheat, and the same work required to determine the legality of each motor.

The price did not go up much, but it is still $30.00 (and $20.00) more than it needs to be.
Just out of curiosity, where did you arrive at these prices rick??

Have you been looking into having your own race in vegas, or has Scotty decided to share with you all of the behind the scenes $ amounts??

I just don't understand how you can say with such certainty that the prices are $30 and $20 too much.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #292
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh H View Post
Just out of curiosity, where did you arrive at these prices rick??

Have you been looking into having your own race in vegas, or has Scotty decided to share with you all of the behind the scenes $ amounts??

I just don't understand how you can say with such certainty that the prices are $30 and $20 too much.
It is on the IIC website.

Modified and 10.5 are $135.00 plus $70.00 for second and third classes.
13.5 and 17.5 are $165.00 plus $90.00 for the second and third classes.

The statement about the modified and 10.5 classes, "You will also receive all the great things the other classes get minus the motors of course" indicates that the difference in price is is purely based on the that fact that two classes receive motors and two don't.

To me this means that the 13.5 and 17.5 should, could, would be the same as modified with if no handouts are involved.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #293
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Well I guess i'm looking at this the wrong way.

I thought a racer who signs up for 2 handout classes and recieves 2 brushless motors.....a $160 value, but is only charged $50 is a good thing.
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #294
Tech Elite

Quote:

I thought a racer who signs up for 2 handout classes and recieves 2 brushless motors.....a $160 value, but is only charged $50 is a good thing.
You are not looking at it the wrong way. It is an AWESOME deal! You can use these two motors all season.

My fear is that other races could follow suit and racers would have to purchase new BL motors for every event (as handouts). This goes against the brushless concept in my opinion.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #295
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:

It seems like a very good thing on the surface. But most people probably have the motors already, and if they don't, might consider getting some practice with one before attending a big race. Everybody should have a backup motor, though, so for those who don't, this is a great price to get one.

I'm still using my 4300 from 4 years ago in the local 10.5 class, and it's a missile, even against all the new hotness Chinese clones. There's definitely some longevity in these suckers.

My suggestion? If you're going to do handout brushless, make the motors special. Do some fancy machining on them, or offer them in a color or style that's otherwise not available. Maybe that would drive up the cost too much, but if not, THAT would be cool. Like a badge of honor that you could carry around with you.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #296
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I personally can go either way on the situation. I understand the reasoning behind handouts, but as was said already you would have a crap load of motors lyin about if other races do the samething.

When it was brushed motors it was not a big deal to have a few stock motors around for then you could screw with gearing and not have to worry about if you burnt it up or not. BL motors seem pretty durable and you don't seem to go through them like you did brushed.

If tech is worked out in such a way to prevent any possible cheating, then it may be more beneficial ie; cost effective to just a bring your own motor. As it stands there are apparently some things you can do to them to make it a little better or I doubt Scotty would have even brought up the whole BL handout idea. So, if you look at if from his stand point it makes a lot of sense to do BL handouts. I am sure the motors will be marked in such a way as to see if you tampered with it at all. I applaud him for even thinking about the possiblity as well as making a class for them this year.

In my opinion, IIC just gets better every year and I am very appreciative of all the work Scotty and crew put into it to make it such the event that it is. This is the only big race I have ever attended aside from big local races and I honestly think I would be spoiled from it to even go anywhere else.
Yeti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #297
Tech Master

Nice Yeti, and don’t forget, these are the people who put on this race. Read/watch this and it should give anyone who doesn't know, faith in how Scotty & Boomer run the show:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Boomer View Post
Here is the info that has been released already.

Scotty is in Heemstede, The Netherlands for round 3 of the European Touring Series. He will be home next week. We will be releasing more information at that time.

http://ets.redrc.net/

We had a request to get more information about what it takes to put on our event and what it is like at the race, so I put this together. It has some cool footage.

Click Here

Stay tuned
Thanks
Boomer
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #298
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to turd ferguson

Quote:
You are not looking at it the wrong way. It is an AWESOME deal! You can use these two motors all season.

My fear is that other races could follow suit and racers would have to purchase new BL motors for every event (as handouts). This goes against the brushless concept in my opinion.
How else would you try to control the cheating. If you don't want a handout run the 10.5 or Mod.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #299
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Just got done with pre-paying for the the 1st night (which is required BTW) and found out actually that the 'weekend' consists of just Friday & Saturday. And that Sunday is back to $85!!
Is there a countdown timer up yet?!

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 AM   #300
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Hello all,

I will try to answer everyones questions.

BLACKSTOCK: Thanks very much. Glad you feel the same. Props go to Protoform and Parma for getting together on this. We do have a method and plan for teching the bodies.

1/12TH SCALE BODIES WILL REMAIN AS THEY HAVE BEEN FOR MANY YEARS. NO RESTRICTIONS ON THESE.

theisgroup: Mains started at 7am and were done by 5pm.

Change for this years event.
A MAIN TROPHY'S WILL BE HANDED OUT IMMEDIATELY AFTER EACH A MAIN. THIS WAY THE EMOTIONS WILL BE OVERFLOWING AND EVERYONE IS IN THE MOMENT. PICS WILL BE TAKEN BY MEDIA AND FAMILY, THEN NEXT RACE. ALSO THIS ALLEVIATES TRYING TO GET ALL THE GUYS TOGETHER AT THE END FOR AWARDS.

syndr0me: Thank you for your support, We are trying to make this the absolute best we can. Obviously Brushless motors are far more expensive than a brushed motor, so our goal is to keep the entry fee as low as possible, the more detailed the motor, as you mentioned the cost goes up.

overflow: there are many things that guys have learned over the past couple of years with Brushless motors to mess with them. Handout motors will help make the fairest contest possible.

yeti35: Thanks also to you for you support!

TURD: I heard your kinda a big deal? Thanks

BEAR: Thanks, Kind words.

JayBee: Glad you are all set, you are going to have a blast.

As always, if you have any other questions, please let us know.

website is up www.intchamps.com

Entry will go live Monday night, Boomer and I will be live online if there are any problems and RCTECH will be our chat area during this time.

Thanks,
Scotty
Scotty Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote