R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-09-2010, 04:49 AM   #1471
Tech Adept

Thumbs up A Dummies Guide

Sith Lord:
There is a guide done by Pablo Diablo about 10 to15 pages back. Also some good charts done by some of the other users for the 202 firmware which are very helpful.
I believe there is a guide being done at present but due to commitments it's taking a little longer than hoped for.
Rgds
Scott
: and other stuff I can't remember??
"Genuine Authentic Copy". "tunay na tunay na kopya"
V-Liqour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:02 AM   #1472
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
I realise that a lot depends on motors/track size, etc. However, is there an idiots guide to what the settings do?

Example - Turbo - Higher number = more speed
Example - Timeshift - Higher number = Turbo kicks in Sooner
Example - Timeshift Gain - Higher number = Quicker ???

I've started with some basic settings described earlier, then changed things to try to test, and the car is quick, but if I want to play/adjust, which way do I go. Unfortunately test times are limited, so most of my testing is during races, and I don't want to waste a whole race with totally rediculous settings.

I run 17.5 in a T3 on Carpet/Foam tyres, straight about 40metres plus sweeper with tight/technical infield. Initial settings were:

1-8, 2-2, 3-2, 4-8, 5-6, 6-1, 7-2, 8-3, 9-1

Started with a FDR of 5.99, then changed to 5.2 and I don't think I really noticed a big difference. Motor temps stayed around 56 C. I'm not slow, keeping up with others (nearly), but just curious - am I on the right track.

(and those Dummy questions would be good to know)

Cheers
Hey basically the higher the number the more aggressive it will be. But your gearing is to high. You need a fdr of about 3.8 to 4.5 depending on the motor. Now for foam you need to know roll out this would be a rollout of 44 to 52mm. And i would just run timeshift 9 and forget about turbo it feels the best to me. especially on carpet and foam. you are always loading the tires so i could not see the point of turbo!!
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 AM   #1473
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks to the above 2 posts........

I did start with the initial settings some pages back, then with a bit of tweaking I lost something. I tried the no turbo option and the car seemed about 1/3 pace. One warm up lap, I had to go back to Turbo. (Can't remember what my other settings were at the time though???

My current settings give me a rollout of only 38mm, so I guess I need to go a lot higher (lower FDR).

We do have a practise day for a major meeting this Friday, so I'll try get some laps in.....
Old 07-09-2010, 05:44 AM   #1474
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default More silly questions

So to turn Turbo off, do you simply select 1 (off) on Page 4 Turbo kick -in. and will this then negate whatever Page 3, Turbo, is set to?

and

Drive Profile - does this just make the car more responsive based on what is selected on Pages 1 to 4 but will not add anything to the cars top speed? Is this setting dependant on gearing etc, or it's more a driving style thing....
What do most guys in 17.5 have it set too.. 9 ??

SQ: HPI RS Pro -HPI RS Pro 2 - HPI Pro 3 - HPI Pro ?? - HPI Pro 5
jsr555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:22 PM   #1475
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to MattFromSooke

Hey Guys,

Whats a good starting point for 13.5 with the RBS on a mixed technical track?

thanks, Matt
Old 07-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #1476
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromSooke View Post
Hey Guys,

Whats a good starting point for 13.5 with the RBS on a mixed technical track?

thanks, Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
WOW I don't check out RC tech for a few days and the thread has gone MENTAL! I have been busy with some personal things along with rebuilding for this weekends testing. I'll get the complete setup guide finished real soon. Below is just a copy and paste out of the guide as it stands to help everyone out with initial settings (the go fast settings).

21.5:
FDR 4.0~4.5
Timeshift 8
Timeshift gain 3
Turbo 3
Kick in 8

FDR 4.5~5.0
Timeshift 8
Timeshift gain 2
Turbo 2
Kick in 7

FDR 5.0~5.5
Timeshift 7
Timeshift gain 2
Turbo 2
Kick in 5

FDR 5.5~6.0
Timeshift 7
Timeshift gain 1
Turbo 2
Kick in 4

Its been said a hundred thousand times but just in case I will say it again... CHECK TEMPS REGULARLY.. It is hard to say just how hot a motor will get as there are so many variables so start with a few laps and see how it goes. Of note is the LRP X-12 which is a problem motor on every ESC on the market. It has crazy bottom end (like a mod in 10.5) but gets hot very quick. Also the Team Wave linear motors go very similar... stupid amounts of rip but plenty of heat to go with it. Tuning of these to motors will take a different direction to most other brands.

A last point... So far this system has proved to be very very smooth... so much so it tends to feel soft (well to me anyway). Gauge your performance against other cars on the track as well as lap times. The constant acceleration (over 100m with high settings) makes it hard to "feel" the power you have so it help to have another form of measurement.
This was posted previously by Dragonfire and seems to be the go for starting points with the new 2.02g firmware

SQ: HPI RS Pro -HPI RS Pro 2 - HPI Pro 3 - HPI Pro ?? - HPI Pro 5
jsr555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #1477
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yes but in a general case we are finding that .5 drop over those settings and a little less timing is faster. and if heat is low then add a little motor timing to give you back the speed with punch as well!!
!!And an idiot with a controller!!
decibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #1478
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Guys, I just wanted to second all the people in the topic who claimed that Teamwave Customer Service is top notch. I think it is actually industry benchmark. Two thumbs up Teamwave, thanks for taking care of me.
cvt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #1479
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvt01 View Post
Hey Guys, I just wanted to second all the people in the topic who claimed that Teamwave Customer Service is top notch. I think it is actually industry benchmark. Two thumbs up Teamwave, thanks for taking care of me.
Good to hear. So much for the rubbish that has been posted in the passed by 1 particular individual!

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:00 PM   #1480
Tech Master

Default Set Up

Finally getting some run time with the speedie. Warming up for our Titles event this weekend, I started with: Xray T3, RB-S, LRP 17.5, Carpet, Foam tyres. Straight about 35m with technical infield.

1st Heat 1-8, 2-2, 3-2, 4-8, 5-6, FDR 5.2 Rollout 38.06 Motor Temp 56C
2nd Heat Same settings, changed FDR 4.8, Rollout 39.27 Motor Temp 72C
3rd Heat same settings, changed rollout to 41.89, Motor Temp up to 78C
4th Heat went bcak to 39.27 rollout and had motor temp of about 68C

The car seemed quick. Quick enough for me. Faster than some, not faster than others. Probably more to do with my driving. The car was certainly quickest in the 3rd heat with the higher rollout, but I'm a bit worried about the motor temp getting up. Is that a problem?

Tomorrow, I've got a practise day, which I'll try different things, but I'm worried if I go down FDR to the high 3s or low 4s and increase the rollout, I'm going to cook the motor???
Old 07-23-2010, 01:08 AM   #1481
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Well i managed to completely TOAST an RB-30 speedy.
I found it today when i went to the shed to do a bit of work to the cars.

I must have had a brain fade the other day when i was running it in my driveway and forgot to disconnect the battery.

3 days of it sitting and it was totalled. Burnt half the wires off the back and melted all the front where the sensor plug goes in.

Looks like i am up for a new speedy.
Shelf Queens Losi XX4 WE, Yokomo YZ10 (First Proper Race Car).
nudge2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #1482
Tech Master

Must say a big thanks to Dragonfire at our recent ACT Titles. A big help in getting the RB-S firing. Thanks mate. Just need to work on the fool holding the radio now

New Motor time - There's not a lot of talk here about motors. Are there any preferences with our ESC? What are the Teamwave Motors like? LRP X12, Duo2, Tekin, Speed Passion, other suggestions? Am looking to buy a 17.5 and a 21.5.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #1483
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The team wave motors are good motors but i like motors that you can adjust the timing for more adjustabillity. So far ive been having the best results with duo1,2s and team checkpoint motors in 17.5. As for 21.5 motors team novak is the only company that has them figured out no other company is even close in performance (i have tried many).
303slowdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:04 PM   #1484
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey guys i'm lacking a bit of speed on the straight actully being pulled by a lot of guys. the ESC is a RBS with the last firmware that came out last month or so. the motor is a speed passion 17.5v3

my set up is as follows

the car is a TC5

FDR is 4.17

my setting are

1-9
2-3
3-9
4-8
5-8
6-4
7-4
8-3
9-1

the motor was around 120 wasn't to hot of a day and the track was quite flowing

just a heatsink on the motor no fan

Any help would be greatly appriaciated

DREW
cyrrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:49 AM   #1485
Tech Master

At our recent Titles event I turned the turbo OFF. I didn't want to, but did, and I was as quick as anything out there. I was running 17.5 LRP with settings:

1-9, 2-1, 3-4, 4-1, 5-7

Went like a rocket. No heatsink motor was up to 110C!!!, bought a LRP heatsink with fan and the temps came back down to 71C in the final run.

Very happy with the performance and speed (with NO TURBO).