New TEAM WAVE racing brushless system

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I suppose he can adjust the following to make it act like a normal speedy:
timeshift = 1 (timing)
turbo = off

btw if you are making a beginners class, get them racing 21.5.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Tech Adept

mikky32

RB50 is sensored only, LRP TC spec is also sensored only. I don't understand why need to set the speed like LRP TC. LRP TC also has 8 profile setting which is adjusting the motor timing like other new speedo.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Well I blew up my first B/L motor with an RB-S last night.
Was getting beaten by non- timing esc cars, so geared up two pinion teeth.
Got some extra speed, but not like my SPX delivers. Just seemed weak on top speed. low punch was ok. Got to the last lap and she stopped.

Motor is fried .
Need to check whether esc is stuffed also. If not, I will try on a Duo 17.5, but likely without turbo.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Tech Adept

Default rbs + 21.5

Originally Posted by fleetmaster
Well I blew up my first B/L motor with an RB-S last night.
Was getting beaten by non- timing esc cars, so geared up two pinion teeth.
Got some extra speed, but not like my SPX delivers. Just seemed weak on top speed. low punch was ok. Got to the last lap and she stopped.

Motor is fried .
Need to check whether esc is stuffed also. If not, I will try on a Duo 17.5, but likely without turbo.
Hi, were you using the settings you posted below or did you changed them? what was the FDR? I'm asking because I'm planning to use the rbs with 21.5 duo2 soon. When I used rb30 with the TW21.5 I had FDR around 3 to get some top speed. I noticed that people with timing-adjustable motors (like the duo2 or your novak) usually go for FDR > 3 and somehow make the motor spin faster (and get even higher top speed). I'm sorry to hear that your motor is stuffed
Old 02-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TEAMWAVE
mikky32

RB50 is sensored only, LRP TC spec is also sensored only. I don't understand why need to set the speed like LRP TC. LRP TC also has 8 profile setting which is adjusting the motor timing like other new speedo.
The LRP TC and than I talk about the old LRP TC started in sensord mode and switched into sensorless mode when running.
It has in mode 8 still a max timing of 30 wile the SPX and the new SXX ss have much more timing.
We have a class ad our club and most of the drivers have a Tekin RS speedo.
As we take of the sensor wire the timing is max 30 and the speedo is as fast as the old LRP TC. We do this to bring the speed down. That's the reason.
In the other classes it's all free but in the beginners class we wanted to bring the speed down without that the drivers had to buy a new motor or speedo.
I think that the team wave is currently ad around the same speed of an LRP SPX if I'm right. So as it's possible we want to bring the speed down of this speedo.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I'm very far from being a expert on this, but from my limited experience with this speed control, if thats the fell your getting, chances are that your gearing is off, or at least thats what I'm getting for feed back with my testing. If it feels flat and the turbo doesn't feel like its kicking in your probably under geared (too small a pinion). Try going up, but watch your temps.
If my understanding of how these speedos work then surely you need to go the other way i.e. put a smaller pinion on.
The turbo comes on at virtually fullpower and increases the RPM of the motor, therefore if you go the way you are suggesting the motor will be more sluggish in reaching max revs before the turbo kicks in, by putting a smaller pinion on the motor will have more pull out of the corner and acceleration on the straight then the turbo kicks in giving more top end on the straight.

Or am I wrong?

comments would be appreciated as I am struggling to find the correct FDR with the RB-s and Linear 13.5T.
I started at 4.5 (ran Exceleron combo at 4.13) went to 5 and it was better but still lacked punch and did not wind up on the straight.
Went to 5.5 and it was slow again on the straight, so ended up on 5.16 and it was lot better, set my fastest times, but the car still did not seem to have a major kick on the straight.

settings were
1-3
2-4
3-2
4-7
5-8
6-5
7-3
8-4
9-1

Car was very smooth, so again suggestions would help
Old 02-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Tech Elite

I started with lower motor timing at around 38mm roll-out but it felt gutless .
When I put the timing up,it went better but was getting motored by non advance esc cars.
So I finished blowing the motor at 42mm with full advance.
Even then , it wasn't fast.
So I don't recommend touching the timing until your speed is maxxed out with roll-out and turbo etc.
I'm thinking i'll try it on my Duo stock motor , but at only 0* @ motor.

I didn't feel the Duo was as fast as the Novak on my SPX.

HTH.
Fleety.
Originally Posted by rcmarek
Hi, were you using the settings you posted below or did you changed them? what was the FDR? I'm asking because I'm planning to use the rbs with 21.5 duo2 soon. When I used rb30 with the TW21.5 I had FDR around 3 to get some top speed. I noticed that people with timing-adjustable motors (like the duo2 or your novak) usually go for FDR > 3 and somehow make the motor spin faster (and get even higher top speed). I'm sorry to hear that your motor is stuffed
Old 02-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have been testing now for some time with some new firmware max has done and it seems to be working the best that there has been for some time. I have spoke with Max and gave him some info. Also I have tested the Linear motors and the Tekin speedo together and I can say that the linear motor has no issue with burning up on the Tekin as some of the others as the motor has a little less timing built into it and this is what the Tekins look for to advance properly. Also you will need to gear about 1 to 2 teeth either way to find a sweet spot. Check temp and you will find the motor works great!!!!! The RB_S is coming along so be patient there are some more things coming. I can tell you that for asphalt 1/12 scale I prefer the wave over anything else for the fact that is ultra smooth and does run well. There is no need to run a speed control that you are not using the features that are there because you cannot use them. And as for failures that I have been reading on this thread all speedo's fail. I have not seen may of the wave fail at all. I can remember the GM's burning up and also some of the blue ones as well so it is really hard to have this issue with a speedo that no one has control of the installation. And also the fact that Max has been very supportive with in regard's to customer service as well.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes
If my understanding of how these speedos work then surely you need to go the other way i.e. put a smaller pinion on.
The turbo comes on at virtually fullpower and increases the RPM of the motor, therefore if you go the way you are suggesting the motor will be more sluggish in reaching max revs before the turbo kicks in, by putting a smaller pinion on the motor will have more pull out of the corner and acceleration on the straight then the turbo kicks in giving more top end on the straight.

Or am I wrong?

comments would be appreciated as I am struggling to find the correct FDR with the RB-s and Linear 13.5T.
I started at 4.5 (ran Exceleron combo at 4.13) went to 5 and it was better but still lacked punch and did not wind up on the straight.
Went to 5.5 and it was slow again on the straight, so ended up on 5.16 and it was lot better, set my fastest times, but the car still did not seem to have a major kick on the straight.

settings were
1-3
2-4
3-2
4-7
5-8
6-5
7-3
8-4
9-1

Car was very smooth, so again suggestions would help

Lower page 4 to somewhere around 4 or 5 max. I t will help with the sluggish felling you are having. Also the Turbo will feel better as well. Also are you sure you have the turbo feature on setting 1 or 2 what I am reading is that it is set to off. Also set Page 5 to 9, try this and see where the temp goes. Also will need to get the gearing right again. 1 to 2 tooth changes are the world in relationship to running well and poor. Also what is the cars ratio. And as well. What is the size spur as well as the pinion when it is the best?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Tech Addict

is there a special way of driving with this speedie?

I race in 17.5 stock, and have spents weeks testing with the rb-s with fdr's from 3.7-4.2 on a medium size track with one part of the track where I can apply full power for about 8 seconds. With the fdr at 3.7 and 4.2, I can lap similar lap times, and also same with timeshift 1 through to 7. With a gtb or sphere, I would run 3.5fdr

driving technique........I know with the tekins 200 software, guys were having problems spooling up if they set the turbo delay too short. They needed the torque to drive them to a certain speed, before the turbo kicked in. If the turbo kicked in too early, the motor simply didnt have the torque to pull it through. So 1.5 sec turbo delay was quite normal on tekins.

with the rb series, the turbo kicks in on full throttle with no delay. Is this a bad thing? Has anyone tried driving around with 90% throttle all the way around the track, and only using turbo while the car is already at a decent running speed?

reason I ask is, im getting hammered by tekin 203 users, falling behind spx's slowly, and not getting any quicker than using regular gtb, sphere speedies.

Last edited by captain stacker; 02-14-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by captain stacker
is there a special way of driving with this speedie?

I race in 17.5 stock, and have spents weeks testing with the rb-s with fdr's from 3.7-4.2 on a medium size track with one part of the track where I can apply full power for about 8 seconds. With the fdr at 3.7 and 4.2, I can lap similar lap times, and also same with timeshift 1 through to 7. With a gtb or sphere, I would run 3.5fdr

driving technique........I know with the tekins 200 software, guys were having problems spooling up if they set the turbo delay too short. They needed the torque to drive them to a certain speed, before the turbo kicked in. If the turbo kicked in too early, the motor simply didnt have the torque to pull it through. So 1.5 sec turbo delay was quite normal on tekins.

with the rb series, the turbo kicks in on full throttle with no delay. Is this a bad thing? Has anyone tried driving around with 90% throttle all the way around the track, and only using turbo while the car is already at a decent running speed?

reason I ask is, im getting hammered by tekin 203 users, falling behind spx's slowly, and not getting any quicker than using regular gtb, sphere speedies.
My opinion is that with 17.5 and 21.5, too much time is spent on full throttle therefore Turbo and now Twin Turbo is on too much giving too much heat. I have thought about getting some foam from an old insert and sticking it between the trigger and grip so that turbo is only applied when I pull the trigger a bit harder. Then I would set up the motor and speedo to work well everywhere but the straight with no turbo. Then when on the straight, nail the throttle. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also believe that the RB-S is great for 10.5 but am hoping Team Wave can release a specific 17.5 firmware. I have tried running more timing on the motor with lower rollouts with some improvement but think its better if the speedo can give you the extra timing as the motor revs out.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo
My opinion is that with 17.5 and 21.5, too much time is spent on full throttle therefore Turbo and now Twin Turbo is on too much giving too much heat. I have thought about getting some foam from an old insert and sticking it between the trigger and grip so that turbo is only applied when I pull the trigger a bit harder. Then I would set up the motor and speedo to work well everywhere but the straight with no turbo. Then when on the straight, nail the throttle. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I also believe that the RB-S is great for 10.5 but am hoping Team Wave can release a specific 17.5 firmware. I have tried running more timing on the motor with lower rollouts with some improvement but think its better if the speedo can give you the extra timing as the motor revs out.
I actually find that with turbo on or off the temps are the same suprisingly.

However a higher timeshift does increase more heat to the motor, without being any faster, even with a higher fdr to combat the loss in torque.

next time out, I will gear the rb-s the same as a normal speedy, with full motor timing, and only engage turbo on the straights. However it is harder to do than say. Your idea of full throttle restriction on the trigger does sound interesting though. It would have to be done so that you can pull the trigger with normal force and not engage turbo, yet not require much effort to engage turbo when you need it.

Last edited by captain stacker; 02-14-2010 at 10:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-2010, 01:40 AM
Tech Regular

Hy there!

I received my RB-S last weekend, and have it already installde in my F103.
I will test it the upcoming WE with an LRP X11 17,5T Motor.

Here is a pic of the car:

New TEAM WAVE racing brushless system-140220101125.jpg

Have the car already tested last Saturday with a Sphere Comp. (no Power Programm).
Hope the Wave will give a little more speed on the straight!

This is the track:

New TEAM WAVE racing brushless system-hpim0174.jpg

Greetz Rainer
Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

Paul, I was thinking similarly . With the 21.5 , you are either full throttle or going nowhere.

They simply don't have the power for part throttle use.
Mine actually was cogging and darted backwards a few times.
This must be turbo related.

What should I try with the duo 1 stock then ? Turbo off ?
Old 02-15-2010, 03:31 AM
Tech Addict

Well guys i've also been testing RB-S for a a while now, i've been reading all of your testimonials and testing also what you have posted here. But from what i experienced this is what i finally get.

My motor is a 9,5T Speed Passion V3 because our rules for stock here are a bit diferent, but i hope this help you.

I started testing the motor with mechanical timing at standard and noticed that the motor rpm didn't come up at the main straight, played a little with FDR but still very flat. Even with turbo 2X or time shift at 7, rpm doesn't seem to come. So put mechanical timing all the way up. So with mechanical timing at 10º the motor now seems to move a little more but i don't feel the "2º gear in", so now its time to change gear. And from my experience in the past the route isn't gear it up but gear it down, so started with FDR 5.9 and went to 7. And there it is, now the motor as a lot of torque and also good top speed. Motor temps are around 50º to 60º celsius. Next step was playing with ESC settings from time shift 1 to 7 and drive profile 5 to 7 i ended up with this setup:

1 - 3
2 - 4
3 - 2
4 - 4
5 - 7
6 - 5
7 - 2
8 - 2
9 - 1

Hope this help you guys around, but pay serious attention to motor temps when you play with mechanical timing.
More testing in the future to come. Also need some racing because my only comparation was SPX-9,5T GM PRO and a modified car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.