Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New TEAM WAVE racing brushless system

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Blueman Austria
The new LRP X12 are not recomended for those high settings.
So where did you come by that info, I can't seem to find that stated in any of the Team Wave literature?
Old 01-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by cannon
A possible strange questioin.

Was this ESC rewired or did you use the original wires?

There has been suggestions that rewiring has caused issues by melting contacts on the circuit board because of the heat of putting new wires in place
I can't see how that could happen, the power wires are on the main supply tracks which are quite thick and the motor wires are usually connected to the thick commoned fet tracks, the fets themseves disipate heat from those connections directly via the fets own ceramic case straight to the heatsink.

To supply enough heat to melt those thick tracks would mean you'd have already reflowed all the solder holding the fets down and the speedy would not work at all instead of just having it go into motor damaging, gear stripping reverse, instead of turbo.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Originally Posted by demracer1

Turbo kicks in with a massive timing advance that is taking the final timing way over the 60 degrees mark and causing the motor to spin backwards ,as in 60 degrees is the half way mark of 120 degrees which is the number of degrees between phases of a BL motor. (360 / 3 = 120)
I'm thinking this too.

does it do it on minimal turbo settings ie.turbo 1, & timeshift 1?

is your x12 on zero/minimal mechanical timing?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

I am running 11.5 motor. Want to know RBS or RB50 which provide faster turbo?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Tech Addict

What is the new 1.2 firmware improved?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 PM

I can't see how that could happen, the power wires are on the main supply tracks which are quite thick and the motor wires are usually connected to the thick commoned fet tracks, the fets themseves disipate heat from those connections directly via the fets own ceramic case straight to the heatsink.

To supply enough heat to melt those thick tracks would mean you'd have already reflowed all the solder holding the fets down and the speedy would not work at all instead of just having it go into motor damaging, gear stripping reverse, instead of turbo.
Well which every way you look at its no good and it doesnt state anywhere that lrp motors wont work with it so if it cant be fixed i want a refund
Old 01-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So where did you come by that info, I can't seem to find that stated in any of the Team Wave literature?
I believe it is in the X12 literature, LRP say that the X12 is not to be used on profile 8 on the SPX which has a similar timing ramp as the S
Old 01-26-2010, 08:02 PM
Tech Champion

Note that BL motors are also very sensitive to dry solder joints, a solder joint should be shiny after its dried, with all the individual wires fully sealed.

You also have to be very careful of how long the heat is applied, solder should be applied to both items seperately, and then the final solder joint is to just meld together the 2 prepared pieces. You should NEVER apply solder to an item that is being heated for a long period of time.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Besercoe
I believe it is in the X12 literature, LRP say that the X12 is not to be used on profile 8 on the SPX which has a similar timing ramp as the S
I think the LRP literature actually says don't use profile 7 or 8, I realise the ramp on the rb-s is of the same agressive nature as the SPX which is why I ran it with item 5 (Drive profile) set to 3 of 9 and the turbo set to 1x.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by hacker
I'm thinking this too.

does it do it on minimal turbo settings ie.turbo 1, & timeshift 1?

is your x12 on zero/minimal mechanical timing?
I had it on -5 and mark had it on 0, did the same thing, except if you turn off turbo completely.

Last edited by demracer1; 01-26-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mark xray007
Well which every way you look at its no good and it doesnt state anywhere that lrp motors wont work with it so if it cant be fixed i want a refund
Same here. If TW can't provide me with an RB-S that works NOW, then I want a refund NOW. Having to wait ANY length of time is just unacceptable. I wouldn't mind seeing the speedy recalled either, until they DO get it working and tested with at least the current top 5 motor brands of each class. Either that or specify in their literature that their ESC only works with motors x,y,z.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Besercoe
Note that BL motors are also very sensitive to dry solder joints, a solder joint should be shiny after its dried, with all the individual wires fully sealed.

You also have to be very careful of how long the heat is applied, solder should be applied to both items seperately, and then the final solder joint is to just meld together the 2 prepared pieces. You should NEVER apply solder to an item that is being heated for a long period of time.
Ok, but my solder joins are assembly line perfect, and I would have thought a dry joint on the motor would have the effect of cogging if one phase was not getting energised properly as opposed to causing the motor to turn very quickly in reverse? No?
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

Hi,

RBS firmware 1.0b is now available for download. It can solve the "reverse" problem. It goes reverse since the turbo kick in too early on slow motor like 17.5T & 21.5T.

Customer can contact us if they still suffer this problem.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Tech Champion

Ok, but my solder joins are assembly line perfect,
I dont know about all of them, but i have seen a few done for others, and i wouldnt be trying to put mod motor strains accross those joints. Way too dry for my liking
Old 01-27-2010, 03:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I bought the other RB-S from Windsor and I have exactly the same problem, both rbs's are already set up as forward only, If you cruise around at half throttle it will go forward but as soon as you mash down on the throttle it sends the motor from forward to reverse with no pause or delay inbetween.

Reverse isn't a gentle or half throttle reverse, no, its full on reverse at top speed, it even brakes traction and does tyre spins while its in reverse.

I'm running the x12 on an 09 xray like Mark but of the 21.5 flavour, the wires are original and so far I now have multiple stripped / damaged gears and other bits in the drivetrain, the x12 is also buggered / cogging like crazy now but I supose instantly going from half throttle forward to full throttle reverse would tend to do that.

Very interesting to note is that if you completely turn off the Turbo function, as well as having a slow car, the RB-S behaves normally and will NOT go into full reverse.

Speedy, motor and stripped spur have now been swapped out for a brand new x12, a near new Orca and a new spur, everything runs great now.

To me it appears as though instead of hitting turbo the RB-S is going into reverse, my guess is either;

Turbo kicks in with a massive timing advance that is taking the final timing way over the 60 degrees mark and causing the motor to spin backwards ,as in 60 degrees is the half way mark of 120 degrees which is the number of degrees between phases of a BL motor. (360 / 3 = 120)

There is a firmware error where the reverse function have been missmapped or overwritten into the turbo function memory address range. (sorry I'm showing my decades worth of expirience in microcontrollers)
As we have discovered tonight, This seems to be a problem with x12 motors. We tested a few different motors and it was only happenning with LRP x12 motors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.