R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #766
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
Sorry for trying to help.

Most people who race, the people who this ESC is suitable for, would never run their lipo down to 6V. Only people bashing on the street have to worry about this. It is possible for the voltage to drop below 6V, for a very breif moment, when racing when the current draw is very high. Like when on full throttle, using twin turbo, out of a tight corner. Even if the resting voltage of the lipo is over 7V, it can go below 6V momentarily when in use. I assumed you were not stupid enough to run your lipo till it dumped, maybe I was wrong on that assumption. It is common for people with not the latest and greatest Lipo's on the market to have to disable Lipo cut.

Can I suggest you don't over react so much next time you don't fully understand someone else advice??
I have to agree with cherry on this...running no lipo cut off is silly and poor advice to give on a messageboard. If your lipo is dropping significant voltage during a hard throttle pull with an RB-S, try higher c rated lipos. Any you need to chill on your responses to people
prhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #767
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default In rebuttal

Quote:
Sorry for trying to help. Most people, who race, the people who this ESC is suitable for, would never run their lipo down to 6V. Only people bashing on the street have to worry about this. It is possible for the voltage to drop below 6V, for a very brief moment, when racing when the current draw is very high. Like when on full throttle, using twin turbo, out of a tight corner. Even if the resting voltage of the lipo is over 7V, it can go below 6V momentarily when in use. I assumed you were not stupid enough to run your lipo till it dumped; maybe I was wrong on that assumption. It is common for people with not the latest and greatest Lipo's on the market to have to disable Lipo cut. Can I suggest you don't over react so much next time you don't fully understand someone else advice??
Hi again and sorry for any offense which you may have taken, as none was intended.

In reply, firstly I am “not stupid enough to run your lipo till it dumped” the only time I ever drop my LiPo’s to 6v is when undertaking my monthly balancing regime. I set the cut-off to 6.2v and when the cells are off I deep discharge them to 6v using a balancing discharger set at 1amp. Once 6v has been hit I rest the cells for about 10 minutes to allow the chemistry to settle and then balance charge them, at 1/2C, to capacity. This has allowed me to have the same LiPo’s for a considerable time with no blow ups or loss of capacity.

As you are one of our Colonial cousins I will forgive the assumption that was made, “people who race, the people who this ESC is suitable for”; are we saying that a car park basher will not buy a Team Wave ESC? As we all know our American cousins have a saying about Assuming. The content of the original post was that he was dumping and the car was in go slow, this would normally indicate that the LiPo’s have reached their safe threshold, I just pointed out that if he were to disable cut-off, as advised, there would be a considerable chance of Damage – or worse occurring.

I for one would be worried to pit next to a person who has no cut-off, is possibly using older cells and has had them down below 6v for a period, these things do have the tendency to become volatile once the Lithium within the polymer begins to re crystallize into Elemental Lithium, so my original comment still stands as to the treatment of LiPo cells in this manner.
Good advice to ALL users of LiPo technology should be to follow the guidelines laid down by the various governing bodies (for racing) around the world, I for one have never bought a LiPo pack, or charger, which did not give dire warnings for dropping below 6v.

So for the sake of our ‘car park bashing’ brethren let’s have a little common sense with these things, or else we may be reading in the papers of kids having terrible burns when one goes up on them.
Thanks for your fine reply.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #768
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMWAVE View Post
ioxqq,

When LiPo cut engage, it will slow down your car and let you drive to a safe area, other ESC will straightly cut your power and that is danger !!

runinonempty:
Did you try "Step 8, notes" on the handheld programmer manual?? (You can download from our website)

The "Linear motor" has a wider gear ratio than other "rpm type" motor. You can use timeshift, turbo 1, turbo 2, drive profile and gear ratio to tune what you need. That will cover all low,mid,high power.
Team Wave tried that and still no luck??????

Dragonfire will you be running at SMA tommorrow?
if you are can you please bring your laptop computer with you and I will come down at lunch and see if you can update the firmwear if thats ok with you.

Cheers
Old 01-11-2010, 06:35 AM   #769
Tech Initiate

hi guys..has anyone tried the rb-s with a speed passion v3 11.5T motor..?
Godbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #770
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
It is possible for the voltage to drop below 6V, for a very breif moment, when racing when the current draw is very high.
There is a very reputable esc brand that has a voltage cut off lower than 3v per cell to deal with this. Guess who....
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:08 AM   #771
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfeelcold View Post
There is a very reputable esc brand that has a voltage cut off lower than 3v per cell to deal with this. Guess who....
I think everyone who changed from nimh to lipo knows this. I think they use a sudden cut at that voltage rather than a min time under that set voltage before cut.

Anyway I recommend 6.2V or higher cut for spec racers and 6.0v for mod. Anyone below 6.5v on a spec motor will be at the end of the pack anyway. If its happening with a fully charged pack try a different pack. Chances are your lipo has outlived its usefulness and may be unsafe to use.

People should also be aware that the quality of their battery connectors makes a huge difference to the performance of the car. A cheap connector can sometimes work very bad even though it looks like it is connecting fine.

Anyway I thought I might mention my testing from the weekend. For those running a 50 in modified. I tried some different ESC settings looking for a smooth powerband through out the rpm range with good top speed. Testing with 4.5t motors I found timeshift 2 with taller gearing gave better results than lower gearing and trubo. I also found the torque type motors feel much better than the rpm type which were a little soft down low but produced very similar top end. I am really keen to try one of the TW Linear 4.5's on this speedy.