R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #661
Tech Adept

katze, thanks a lot for your comments and I think the on/off switch having problem and we can ship you a new switch if you can replace it on your own.

CaliberX, your extension cable is on the way to you.
TEAMWAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:24 AM   #662
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katze View Post
i just installed my RB-S onto my car and ran the car off the ground... with 2x turbo, i was like shocked by the power!!!... when turbo kicked in, it was like i had a mod motor in my car... WTF were the exact words that came out of my mouth at that instance...

but i have some feedback which i hope Team Wave can take in good attitude so that their products can continue to improve...

they are:

1. ESC fan is a direct connection to battery... so the fan will turn on the moment you plug in your batts even with the esc off... might consider making it turn on only when the esc is switched on....

2. My esc does not switch off... it has a quirk whereby it sometimes turn on even after i turned my esc switch off... only when i unplug does it stay off... maybe make the switch a hard switch instead of a logical one? a esc switching on by itself is kinda freaky...

3. the esc fan is freaking loud... a small complaint that i can still live with...
That fan cant be aloud as my ol SP GT 1.1 fan. It's like a blow dryer.
vr6cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #663
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I wouldn't worry about the fan so much. Direct powered off the battery is much better as the fan runs faster than it does through the BEC power. Noise usually means it is doing a great job, I would worry if it is quite.

The new turbo is scary! I have the SP motor analyser which allows you to test motors through the speedy. This means you can also compare speedies with the same motor. I have tested pretty much every speedie except the Tekin's and nothing comes even close to the power output the RB-S achivevs on any motor. Infact it gives new life to motors you thought were slow and pushes fast motors to new limits. I suggest you try the TW motors as they work very well with this new speedy and can handle much more heat than most motors like the Duo series.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #664
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cneyedog

anyone had the opportunity to dyno test under load (such as on a Competition Electronics Turbo Dyno) the RB-S vs a Mamba, Black Diamond or Tekin?

Or run the RB-S one run and the the black diamond the next for comparison in a 1 cell application ?
cneyedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #665
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneyedog View Post
anyone had the opportunity to dyno test under load (such as on a Competition Electronics Turbo Dyno) the RB-S vs a Mamba, Black Diamond or Tekin?

Or run the RB-S one run and the the black diamond the next for comparison in a 1 cell application ?
I doubt it cause it just came out but the current draw under no load is very high even for a 17.5 (over 18amps at full throttle) so I can't see it being down on anything.

There is a new speedy under development for 1s applications from Team Wave. I would say that would be the one to look at.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #666
Tech Adept

Default silver can motor

Ciao Max,

next year in my local track club we'll start racing pancar model with silver can brushed motors (mabuchi 540), using the rb50 may i switch on the turbo option?

tnks
Max
mtaddei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #667
Tech Adept

mtaddei, Turbo is for brushless motor only

All RB series can run with 1 cell LiPo, receiver battery is recommended if running low turn motors.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:37 PM   #668
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
The new turbo is scary! I have the SP motor analyser which allows you to test motors through the speedy. This means you can also compare speedies with the same motor. I have tested pretty much every speedie except the Tekin's and nothing comes even close to the power output the RB-S achivevs on any motor. Infact it gives new life to motors you thought were slow and pushes fast motors to new limits. I suggest you try the TW motors as they work very well with this new speedy and can handle much more heat than most motors like the Duo series.
+1

ran the RB-S and straight line speed wise it is comparable with most top end esc... the best part abt the esc is that you can gear down significantly for the infield acceleration and still have the same top end on the straights... and also, this esc can really draw serious amps out of your lipos, use a good lipo and the difference is very noticeable out of corners....
TOP Photon // LRP SXX TC Spec // LRP X12 4.0T // IP 5000mah 50C // Spektrum DX3R
Sponsor: My good self...
katze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #669
Tech Regular

team wave guys,

how many pinion tooth do you recommend dropping for a 11.5T motor with 2x turbo on...

am i right to say that i should gear down to have more punch infield and still have the same top end on the straights....
TOP Photon // LRP SXX TC Spec // LRP X12 4.0T // IP 5000mah 50C // Spektrum DX3R

Last edited by katze; 12-25-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #670
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to tandman

Is the update on the Teamwave site better for the Rb-50 than what it comes with? Will this be better for 17.5 and 13.5 touring on rubber tires?
Thanks
Team Sweepracing-R1 Wurks Team Canada

Last edited by tandman; 12-25-2009 at 08:30 PM.
tandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #671
Tech Adept

katze, for 11.5T (rubber tyre, touring car), we suggest gear ratio 4.8 for 2X turbo in mid size track. For larger track, 4.6 is suggested. If having tight infield corner, you can run lower timeshift like 2-5. Also running drive profile 7-8 can give you more punch and exit corner faster.
For running 2X turbo, you need better battery to feed the motor
Old 12-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #672
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMWAVE View Post
katze, for 11.5T (rubber tyre, touring car), we suggest gear ratio 4.8 for 2X turbo in mid size track. For larger track, 4.6 is suggested. If having tight infield corner, you can run lower timeshift like 2-5. Also running drive profile 7-8 can give you more punch and exit corner faster.
thanks for the suggestion... props for the excellent online support and not to mention an excellent product...

my track is very tight (lots of hard braking and shooting out of corners) and a typical lap is 17.5s....

For my previous esc(LRP SXX), i was running 4.8 FDR with a SP 11.5.... i have been playing with gearing on the RB-S... my setup now is:

drive/brake profile - 5/5
timeshift - max
turbo - 2x
FDR - 5.1
Motor temp after 6mins - 61 degrees

so based on your suggestion, i should try less time shift for the infield punch, maybe a drive profile of 8 and maybe 4.9 FDR?

Last edited by katze; 12-26-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:27 AM   #673
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMWAVE View Post
can you tell me how putting drive profile to 7-8 will give you more punch and exit corner speed?

I do understand about drive profiles, its just putting the powerband 'where' you want it. Less DP for slippery conditions, more DP for high traction.

I usually put my throttle profiles on every speedy to linear, and control the output with the trigger!

Say for example, 2 cars of equal equipment, one car on profile 5, one car on profile 8, both coming out of a corner on full throttle, I doubt car on TP8 will out accelarate car with TP5.

I simpy do not believe peoples belief on putting a higher drive profile will give you more punch!
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:38 AM   #674
Tech Elite

in my understanding the higher profiles are like running a higher exponential on your radio to make the throttle response faster closer to neutral.
Hence a quicker, punchy car.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:19 AM   #675
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

yes I understand that!

I also dont think it will increase punch, it will increase the sensitivity of the first few mm of the trigger however!
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote