R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #151
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mafiaracers Send a message via MSN to mafiaracers

I just got an e-mail from Max about the programmer:

"Prototype of the programmer has been out for a while, we are working on the casing and should be available in couple of months. The programmer can set every parameter on the ESC and has a USB port connect to the computer for firmware update and fine tunning."

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS
http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/168239-pit-board.html

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
mafiaracers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #152
Tech Elite

Here's a break-down of the first run and the settings I ended-up with...

I ran it on default settings for the first run and was pleased at how balanced it was...very smooth with a good drag brake feel which I was very pleased with. I made a change to the settings every run. I started by turning the turbo ON...

Turbo gave me this feeling...It felt like with turbo "on," the throttle response/drive profile was by-passed. So when I was exiting a corner and rolling on the throttle, as soon as the trigger hit maximum pull (before car reached max speed) the drive frequency/smooth feel was bypassed and instantly went into full turbo mode giving the car a large boost of power. I didn't like this at first because it made the car feel a little nervous, but then again, I'm running slippery off-road, for a sedan, you guys would love this!

Coming out of a corner and the power hit SO hard that I was pulling the front end off the ground, losing steering and having to back off the throttle to settle the car. This is AWESOME because of the immense power available, but a hair unforgiving. Quick throttle blips over short jumps or "pre-loading" the car for a jump, turbo was great, the extra boost allowed me, with my 17.5 to clear jumps and gaps that no other 17.5 could even touch. So at the moment, it's a love/hate thing, but I think I'll learn to live with it or play with it some more.

There was no top-speed differentiation with turbo on or off...top speed was the same, just the delivery was different.

I turned the neutral brake up 1 spot to level 4/9, 22%. I liked this much better.

Brake force remained at default 4/4, 100%...the brakes on the RB50 are un-believable...I have never had an ESC with brakes like this, so incredibly strong!

Time shift was another area where I was interested. I started on default level 1 and the car was where I thought it should feel. To ensure I would "feel" the change, I went directly to level 4/4 "power." The first thing I noticed was that my 17.5 was a whole lot faster! Lets just say I was keeping up with the mod buggies down the straight, and with the turbo on, I was keeping up in the corners and over all the jumps...I actually ran my 17.5 in the mod buggy class. The time shift was the most surprising feature as it made my car faster, Honestly, it was so much faster that my car was for all honesty....not "stock" anymore, No 17.5 could hold me with this feature so...

You on-roaders will love the time feature also, it makes your car faster...literally.

I have to say though, even with the timing maxed out, drag brake notched up, turbo on and mid level frequency, the esc, with fan mounted where in front was cool to the touch after the race, motor came off the track at 110.

Drive profile I ran at level 1 for a while but ended up at 4/9.

Brake profile, Temp cutoff, lipo cutoff, and Motor type settings were all left at default.

End of test:

1-4/9
2-4/4
3-1/2
4-4/4
5-4/9
6-5/9
7-5/5
8-7/7
9-1/3

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
Old 11-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #153
Tech Elite

PM's replied to

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
Old 11-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #154
Tech Regular

Default RB 50 Temp cut question and radio set-up

Hi,
For wat reasen do i have to set my trottle mode to reverse instead of forward?
I run a 4.5 Orion B.L. at a indoor circuit with my X-ray T2'008 TC, after 2 or 3 minutes the ESC stops, and after 30 sec of so it started again. Wat is the cause of that?
Dont say your gear ratio is to low, first the engine and batterie including the speedo was very cool,not above 45degr. C.
I drive with the same motor/gear ratio with LRP and it never turns down.
Please give me a good advice.

Ed
eded1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 12:59 AM   #155
Tech Adept

Try to check the receiver plug/wire by moving it and see the radio signal affect the speedo. We have a case the wire in the receiver plug is not soldered firmly and cause bad contact.
TEAMWAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:01 PM   #156
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAMWAVE View Post
Try to check the receiver plug/wire by moving it and see the radio signal affect the speedo. We have a case the wire in the receiver plug is not soldered firmly and cause bad contact.
Thanks, I will check this, maybe your right, because in the meantime i have the ESC rebuild in my car and push the throttle wile my wheels all smoked
on the workbench and he will not turn down.
So I try your sugesstion, hopefully this is the case.

Ed
Old 11-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #157
Tech Elite

Another thing you might try is the sensor wire. Be sure your sensor wire is pressed deeply and completely into the socket. I had an issue with this on my very first run, but I noticed the socket is a hair tight, be sure to really press it in there and all issues should be solved!

Personally, I have the lipo and temp cut turned OFF and my "50" comes off the track around 80*f....this thing runs ice cold, super efficient

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
Old 11-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #158
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaracers View Post
Another thing you might try is the sensor wire. Be sure your sensor wire is pressed deeply and completely into the socket. I had an issue with this on my very first run, but I noticed the socket is a hair tight, be sure to really press it in there and all issues should be solved!

Personally, I have the lipo and temp cut turned OFF and my "50" comes off the track around 80*f....this thing runs ice cold, super efficient
Thanks, this was the first thing i've changed with no effect, my temp cut was off, and like I said the temp was very low, at least 20deg cooler than my LRP
Thanks again.

I still like to know why my transmitter (Spektrum DX3) has to be set on reverse
Thank you
Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 PM   #159
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

How bad were you getting pulled down the straights before? Every time something new comes out it's always pitched able to do the impossible, but when you get them all together in the right hands they are all the same. I like the design and the size is great, do those bullet connectors come out of the pcb? are they meant too? its a good idea and provides easy soldering at a right angle to speedo.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #160
Tech Elite

It wasn't so much that I was getting pulled, but with the timing adjustment feature, I can supply the motor with more power, it literally does make the car faster. I would agree that in the right hands, any controller would be fine, I won races with my LRP, but the adjustability and extra features that the WAVE offers suits me a lot better. I also believe that it is a far superior unit.

The bullet connectors come soldered in from the factory. It would have been fun to do it myself, but they are soldered in there very well from the factory. I'll post pictures soon of my team-mate who is also running an RB-50. He wired his with the wires coming out the back of the bullets, rather than out the top like mine. The pictures will explain it.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
Old 11-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #161
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

is there a difference in the on resistance between the rp30 and rp50? I was wondering what advantages there are to the 50 over the 30 for a stock class racer?
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #162
Tech Elite

is there a difference in the on resistance between the rp30 and rp50? I was wondering what advantages there are to the 50 over the 30 for a stock class racer?

I honestly don't know the answer to that question, it would be one for Max. I can get it answered for you though.

Personally, I dont think that on-resistance is such a big deal anymore now that BL/LiPo is such a common thread. Back in the days of Brushed/NiMh (back in the day hahahaha!) on-resistance was something worth advertising as it did make a difference and quite frankly was a big deal, but with the way things are now, I don't see it being that much of an issue.

Basic differences between the 30 and 50 are on the website here:
http://www.teamwaveonline.com/2007/products03.htm

Also, on the first page of the thread.

Specification:
Brushless Motor: no limit
Brush Motor: no limit
Rated current: 400A Continuous
BEC: 6V, 3A Continuous
Input voltage: 4-6 Cells NiMh, 2Cells LiPo
Protection: Temp cut (adjustable), LiPo cut (adjustable)
Mode: Forward with brake (brush/brushless), Forward/Brake/Reverse (brushless)
Adjustment: Neutral Brake, Brake force, Turbo Drive, Time shift (motor timing), Throttle profile, Brake profile
Cooling fan: High power high speed cooling fan included
Capacitor: Small size super low resistance capacitor included (10mm diameter x 21mm length)
Body size: 34mm x 31mm x 18mm (WxLxH)
Body size with heatsink: 34mm x 31mm x 25.5mm (WxLxH)

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
Old 11-18-2008, 12:35 PM   #163
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would like to know what and how many MOSFETs does the Team Wave ESCs use and have? The 400A Continuous rating is up there and I have yet to see wires and PCB traces that can handle such current in our RC industry. What is the real AMP rating for the controllers?
lutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #164
Tech Elite

probably similar to any other ESC that can handle 400 amps, LRP, Novak is unlisted, but the SpeedPassion GT1.1 also runs on 400 amps.

While it doesn't concern me much at all, I'd ask the question to any manufacturer. I opened up my old LRP comp 07 and found an array of black squares on both sides of the board. I do not intend to open up my brand new RB50, but I have to imagine the internals are similar from brand to brand.

MAFIA MOTORSPORTS

TEAM WAVE
www.teamwaveonline.com

TQ Racing Wire
www.tqracing.com
Old 11-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #165
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaracers View Post
probably similar to any other ESC that can handle 400 amps, LRP, Novak is unlisted, but the SpeedPassion GT1.1 also runs on 400 amps.

While it doesn't concern me much at all, I'd ask the question to any manufacturer. I opened up my old LRP comp 07 and found an array of black squares on both sides of the board. I do not intend to open up my brand new RB50, but I have to imagine the internals are similar from brand to brand.
I hope Team Wave will come in an answer it, as my question was for them. The Hobbywing Xerun (SP GT) is rated for 120A. I usually take those as burst, but it's supposed to be 128A by going with the MOSFET's temp of 25C amp rating. The little black squares are the MOSFETs btw. One other example is the Losi Xcelorin which is rated for 100A and that's also within the MOSFET rating which is the same MOSFET used in the Hobbywing Xerun or Speed Passion GT here in the US.
lutach is offline   Reply With Quote