R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoj View Post
Thanks for all the help guys.

I had hoped to get some .016/018 springs for my local track because I'm having trouble getting the car to turn left at low speeds. The track has 7 right turns and 3 low speed left turns. I didn't have the 018's or 016's but I did have a set of 014's. I put one 014 on the right front and the 020 on the left front. The car was much better but now the right front would bottom out around the rest of the track. Seeing as I don't have an accurate way to measure toe I figured I would futz with the springs I have.

I ordered some 018s but still want to try the 016s . . .

Thanks Again
You must be kidding us right???
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:18 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Woah dude, something is wrong. Make sure that your steering turnbuckles are the same length and that your servo is centered. You also want to check your EPA on your radio. Make sure that at low speed your car turns the same size circles left and right. you want to turn between 2 and 4 ft. circles. Do this at very low speed,slower than walking speed. You can measure your toe with a caliper. Normally about 0-.040 of an inch is good. What you do is measure from the inside of the left to the inside of the right tire both in the front of the tire and in the rear of the front tire. You want the spacing in the front of the tires to be slightly larger than the rear of the tires.

Also make sure that your kingpins are shimmed correctly and there is no binding in the suspension movement. You should be fine with .018 or .020 front springs.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #18
Tech Adept

Well there are alot of things wrong with it right now . . .
I don't have the springs I think I need, the 018's, I just got the lowered rear pod to run the pro-cut tires everyone is using. That makes the damper plate upper spring to short . . ?

I need more rear axle shims (using a spare bearing to adjust my rear track), kingpin shims, the front axles are spinning in the hubs . . .

Old 2PL radio, the glitch master . . .

I have a bunch of parts on order, hopefully soon I can have a stable platform on which to test . . .

So you want to run .040 total toe out?

Thanks Again . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
Woah dude, something is wrong. Make sure that your steering turnbuckles are the same length and that your servo is centered. You also want to check your EPA on your radio. Make sure that at low speed your car turns the same size circles left and right. you want to turn between 2 and 4 ft. circles. Do this at very low speed,slower than walking speed. You can measure your toe with a caliper. Normally about 0-.040 of an inch is good. What you do is measure from the inside of the left to the inside of the right tire both in the front of the tire and in the rear of the front tire. You want the spacing in the front of the tires to be slightly larger than the rear of the tires.

Also make sure that your kingpins are shimmed correctly and there is no binding in the suspension movement. You should be fine with .018 or .020 front springs.
boscoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:38 PM   #19
Tech Adept

What I really wanted was to run the 016 or 018 on the right front and the 020 on the left. To get the car driving "to my liking" I had to run so much camber I was blowing through the tires. Plus those 3 corners are very important low speed corners leading into the front straight . . .

Don't knock it till you've tried it . . . makes sense to me . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Otis View Post
You must be kidding us right???
Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscoj View Post
Well there are alot of things wrong with it right now . . .
I don't have the springs I think I need, the 018's, I just got the lowered rear pod to run the pro-cut tires everyone is using. That makes the damper plate upper spring to short . . ?

I need more rear axle shims (using a spare bearing to adjust my rear track), kingpin shims, the front axles are spinning in the hubs . . .

Old 2PL radio, the glitch master . . .

I have a bunch of parts on order, hopefully soon I can have a stable platform on which to test . . .

So you want to run .040 total toe out?

Thanks Again . . .

You know what buddy, Why dont you ship me your car and i will go over it and get it going good for you. You should be able to get my address off of my website. If not i can PM it to you. I can get it ready for you in 1 evening and get it back to you the next day. I would hate to see you struggle when you are just getting started in 1/12th.It is the most enjoyable class when the car is working for you. I will go over the problems that i found with you so you know to avoid them in the future.
J Concepts
Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Wow, that's a very kind offer . . . thankyou. But the car is totally apart right now, screws/parts everywhere. I got the Lunsford axles and the new bearings and should have the springs next week.

I was trying to get it sorted for my second race this Tuesday. I "raced" last Tuesday for the first time with all the fancy brushless tricked out cars/drivers, started last, finished last but I finished. My fast lap was a 9.1 with most guys in the low/mid 8's. Fast lap of the race was a 7.2

I really appreciate the offer but it sounds like it's gonna take at least a couple of days to put it back together.

Maybe I'm just being a whiny bitch, frustrated with the parts search etc.
I know my way around real racecars so I will be able to figure this out so please don't feel sorry for me. I'm not going to quit or give up or go to TC. I love these cars. But that's a hard offer to refuse.

I would be happy to send you the car or the backup car I'm building which is also in bits.

Thanks Again,

Jeff

Quote:
You know what buddy, Why dont you ship me your car and i will go over it and get it going good for you. You should be able to get my address off of my website. If not i can PM it to you. I can get it ready for you in 1 evening and get it back to you the next day. I would hate to see you struggle when you are just getting started in 1/12th.It is the most enjoyable class when the car is working for you. I will go over the problems that i found with you so you know to avoid them in the future.

Last edited by boscoj; 03-28-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:02 PM   #22
Tech Lord

Not a problem. I will try to offer as much help as i can. When you get the car assembled, post some close up pics of the front end. Wheel off close up of the each front suspension cluster would be great. A shot of the rear axle and side shot at ride height would help also. The more i can see the more i can help with. You can always call our shop during the week also and i can run you through the setup on the car. They are much more simple than full scale race cars once you get familiar. You will be right at home in no time.
J Concepts
Old 03-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #23
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

What about the tweak setting? Or wedge as some call it.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yes, I'm surprised that it so long for the issue of tweak to get a mention... any time a 1/12 car isn't turning well in both directions, it's either tweak, or a problem with unequal endpoints on the steering. (that includes things that will affect the tweak, like a collapsed front spring, or bound up front suspension , etc.)

I've NEVER seen a road course where it was of any benefit to run different springs on each side of the front. I'd look for the real issue and solve it before trying a fix like that.

Jason REALLY knows his stuff... I'd take him up on his offer...
Old 03-29-2008, 04:16 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not to mention if you running that far off pace I'd think the locals would be willing to help a little. At least someone would have a tweak board to lone!

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Man, I've been racing 1/12th scale off and on since the early 90's. I bet if I sent Jason @ BMI MY car he would find some things to improve! I'm sure of it.
If I was smart I would send him my gear and some $$$ and have it come back set up on his chassis.
jasons56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Well they have been very helpful, one guy did set the tweak for me. But it's basically been a mad dash trying to get the parts they all run so their advice is relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller tyme View Post
Not to mention if you running that far off pace I'd think the locals would be willing to help a little. At least someone would have a tweak board to lone!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #28
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons56 View Post
Man, I've been racing 1/12th scale off and on since the early 90's. I bet if I sent Jason @ BMI MY car he would find some things to improve! I'm sure of it.
If I was smart I would send him my gear and some $$$ and have it come back set up on his chassis.
Thanks buddy.
J Concepts
Old 03-29-2008, 12:39 PM   #29
Tech Adept

So how much is a DB12R? I don't see any prices on the website?

Quote:
Thanks buddy.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #30
Tech Lord

If you click on the online store it will bring you to a page that will list cars,parts and so on. You click on the car tab and it will bring up the car and price along with the option to buy. To save you the extra trip, the car is $250.00. It comes with all of the cool upgrades such as Lunsford titanium front axles, IRS shock,Boca bearings, the list goes on.
J Concepts