R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-17-2003, 01:25 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Modified timing

Hi there

I just bought a used modified, an LRP DTM 18x4. I teared it apart and did a comm cut and cleaning. But since it's my first mod., I forgot to mark the can/endbell.

How do I get the timing right?

I've been told to assemble it, put on some batts, and then turn the endbell to max RPM. Afterwards I should turn the endbell sligthly back, to ensure some torque. Preferable I should turn the endbell in the same direction as the armature turns, then go a little backwards. Is this the right procedure, when I aint got access to a dyno?

Thanks

Edit: The big problem is, this motor aint got a factory mark as a default setting.

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 07-17-2003 at 01:33 AM.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 02:49 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Are you 100% sure it doesn't have zero setting marked on the can? Should look like a filed slot on the end of the can (outside).
Anyway, no worry. The zero line of the can is between the magnets (and between the mounting screws). The zero point on the endbell is where the mounting screws are. Align those 2 and you have zero timing. To get some timing you have to turn the endbell opposite to the rotating direction of armature. 1 mm on the can is about 3 degrees. Good starting point is 4-6 mm (12-18 degrees), but you can go up to 8-10 mm (24-30 degrees) to get more power (the motor will burn up faster though). Sensible maximum you should use depends on the motor and gearing used.
You should NEVER turn the endbell to the same direction that the arm turns, always against the rotation.
olev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 03:31 AM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I think cole means that he dosn't know what timing it came with from the factory and so dosn't know what to set it at. I'm not sure if this will help at all but this picture shows what I think is your motor and it gives you a good view of the timing(what I presume is stock timing).

Last edited by fatdoggy; 07-17-2003 at 03:36 AM.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 06:20 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Thanks guys.

Especially fatdoggys message is usefull. I have to take an extra look at my motor - even though it has another label, than this picture show.

Olev, your suggestion is my fall back, if the label is damaged or something. I think I'll post this info on our club-site, since several guys at our club didnt know.