R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-02-2003, 05:51 PM   #46
Tech Regular

i use a fan with my johnson 540, so when i'm practicing i don't have to wait for the motor to cool down inbetween battery packs.
GTMilenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 02:50 AM   #47
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ian_da_bomb Send a message via Yahoo to Ian_da_bomb
?

Dats Right Sucka Foo!~What you sayin bout my momma?! lol Last time I checked, "keep it real was a simple saying like "adios." I work at a sporting goods store n' play sports almost everyday. What relevance does any of this have to Rc cars? Ya know.. and I thought people took SLOT cars too seriously. This is 1/10 car racing - If there is no room for having fun even on forums... I should pick up bowling. "Adios" Ian

Lets keep the Flame wars down and the Technical babble up guys.
Ian_da_bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 04:45 AM   #48
Tech Adept

Ian,
Don't know if you were blasting me, but I was actually agreeing with your previous post, but maybe you didn't understand my subtle sarcasm. 90% of the "Sports" shops sell nothing but cloths. That's just not my definition of a sports shop. I just used to get a kick out of the fact that the worst tennis players, golfers, etc. were the best dressed and they were the ones that usually patronized these stores. Most of the time when I see a lot of eye candy on R/C cars it's usually the same analogy. Hard work, sweat and practice make you good, not the designer cloths you wear or the stuff you have hanging off your car. By far the best guy in our club uses 5 year old equipment.

Last edited by calvin; 08-03-2003 at 04:56 AM.
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:53 PM   #49
Tech Regular

Default My Apologies

Im sorry Calvin. I totally did not understand that metaphor hehe. I agree 100% my friend. I am using an old Tekin G12 and I race with 1700 cells. People think Im crazy - I just say its the caffiene hehehe. No Im just kiddin bout the caffiene but people DO think Im crazy that Im not running THE NEW equipment or doing what EVERYONE else is doing. The truth of the matter is, I am not fast enough to where I need that kind of equipment and I doubt most of those guys are either. I would much rather learn how to drive and concentrate for 5 minutes than spend thousands of dollars on equipment that makes me feel like I am better than I am. Sorry for the tangent.. But yeah.. I wasnt blasting you - just didnt understand. Thanks for the clarification // Ian
Old 08-03-2003, 07:57 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Default Motor cooling fan

Guys;

The Sole reason for using a Fan is to keep the Motor cooler (obviously).

WHY !?;
Because the POWER the Motor produces will be greater and more consistant at a lower temperature. This might allow you go up in Gear Ratio slightly or keep the performance from falling off near the end of the race.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 09:15 PM   #51

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

any companies that are good at making fans
small but powerful

what kinda voltage should you look for when buying a fan
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2003, 06:05 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I know the biggest reason guys were running fans at the Reedy Race was not because of weather. It was cold and damp the whole weekend. The reason was because of the insane gear ratios we were all running. 19 turn guys gearing in the high 5's! Mod guys running 10 singles @7.0! Those are insane for a touring car. But to get the top end that everyone was looking for down that long straight and through the sweeping corners, you had to gear there. And it was burning brushes up in 3 or 4 minutes. That's why people needed to cool off their motors. And belive me, it helped a lot of guys just be able to finish their races.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 01:22 AM   #53
Tech Regular

High 5's? Thats CRAZY! Thats the kind of gear ratios we run on 14 volt slot car motors! Crazyness....hehe I just dont have the money to go through that many pairs of brushes and comms hehehe.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:31 AM   #54
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

When you're at a race like that though, you can't afford to try and be thrifty. We just all brought a inventory of brushes and didn't expect to run that motor afterwards. The first day I had my 19 turn geared what I thaught was going to be high at 6.8 and was topping out 1/4 of the way down the straight. Rod, the guy who won the 19 turn class told me he was running a 5.9!
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:10 AM   #55
Tech Elite

so what fan works the best without sucking out to much power from the batts? i have a 6T hacker and am wondering weather i should prepare this setup for when i race on hot dias
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 11:37 AM   #56
Tech Adept

In the UK we have 2 run insane ratios because of the 12 turn limit, id gear my 12 at about 5.9-6 but i asked a driver who was sponsered by a motor bulider and he was running 5.2!!
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote