R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-21-2003, 02:54 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
use a futaba plug , red left , black right.
Thanks, but that's not what I mean. Now that I know we use a plug. Where does the Futaba plug go into the reciever? Is it the B/C slot or the 3rd channel?

Are there anything else/warnings I should know before installation? I don't wanna burn my electronics!!

By the way, will the fan run automatically as soon as the power switch is turned on?

Thanks.
Pandora's Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:15 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Pandora's Box
Thanks, but that's not what I mean. Now that I know we use a plug. Where does the Futaba plug go into the reciever? Is it the B/C slot or the 3rd channel?

Are there anything else/warnings I should know before installation? I don't wanna burn my electronics!!

By the way, will the fan run automatically as soon as the power switch is turned on?

Thanks.
Either the B/C or 3rd channel will work.
and yes the fan will run as soon as the power is turned on.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:06 PM   #33
Tech Master

At the ROAR Nats in NC I performed several fan set-ups. Using a servo lead you can connect it to the 3rd CH if you have one or the BATT. slot and be sure that you have the wiring sequence correct.

I believe that direction of the fan is key. Look at how PCs are put together. The fan is used to DRAW heat AWAY from components because heat will always rise, thus improving efficiency in your fan. You can have it blowing into or across you components if you like, its your fan.

Be careful where you place your fan. If the flow of air from the fan is going against the flow of air through your car, it is kind of piontless.

If at all possible, try to mount your fan on a heat sink with the direction blowing away from the heat sink. The idea of the heat sink is to draw heat away using the fins. These fins are there for a purpose, more surface area to disapate heat. Mounting the fan on top of this, increase the efficiency of the heat sink. Hopefully this helps.
KO PROPO Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 07:31 PM   #34
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

hey guys will this fan work for cooling an rc motor or ESC
http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=14255+FN
#60 of the Original 100
If your not part of the solution
Your part of the problem !

Last edited by JasonC; 07-29-2003 at 09:33 PM.
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 08:03 PM   #35

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

if the fan has a motor, and has 2 wires then its guarantted to work
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:42 PM   #36
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord

Alex Lopez was running a fan on his XRay T1 Evo2 at the last FSEARA state race.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:44 PM   #37
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ian_da_bomb Send a message via Yahoo to Ian_da_bomb
Talking Cheap Blow

Wow. I bet that fan creates lap times at LEAST a thousandth faster . If you wanna get REALLY hypothetical, you can always think that the armature creates a suction of air through the can of the motor; you really already have a fan. If i was going to run a fan, i would run it blowing air into the can. This way - it would force more air through the motor and make it less likely for hot air to build up inside the can. But then again - ya know if the pro's are doing it - it MUST be faster . Do some spring/brush & gearing tuning and i am sure the motor will run cooler without the use of a fan. - Ian
Ian_da_bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:50 PM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Default Re: Cheap Blow

Quote:
Originally posted by Ian_da_bomb
Wow. I bet that fan creates lap times at LEAST a thousandth faster . If you wanna get REALLY hypothetical, you can always think that the armature creates a suction of air through the can of the motor; you really already have a fan. If i was going to run a fan, i would run it blowing air into the can. This way - it would force more air through the motor and make it less likely for hot air to build up inside the can. But then again - ya know if the pro's are doing it - it MUST be faster . Do some spring/brush & gearing tuning and i am sure the motor will run cooler without the use of a fan. - Ian
When the average track temperature is 130+ degrees and the ambient temperature is 100+ degrees with 100% humidity and your car is completely encased in a lexan shell whilst running a very low turn modified motor, every little bit of cooling helps. It's a simple fact that the cooler a motor runs, the more efficient and reliable it will be, thus every little bit helps.
Accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:54 PM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to DuffMan

^ownage

Luckly in seattle it never gets hotter than 70
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 12:36 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Cheap Blow

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord
When the average track temperature is 130+ degrees and the ambient temperature is 100+ degrees with 100% humidity and your car is completely encased in a lexan shell whilst running a very low turn modified motor, every little bit of cooling helps. It's a simple fact that the cooler a motor runs, the more efficient and reliable it will be, thus every little bit helps.
Well said

Last edited by Roger; 08-01-2003 at 12:43 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 10:59 AM   #41
Tech Regular

Talking Ownage

Hehe. I am not denying that during that type of heat, a fan is a good call. But it seems to me people who ARENT racing in that type of heat, or in stock racing indoor on carpet have adopted the little fan deal because they saw it on a picture of a pro car. I may have sounded condescending but I do not doubt the helpfulness of it - I just think that if the conditions are befitting - you do what you can. I dont think you need a 40 mm bb fan sitting in the side of a tc3 when its going to be racing indoor sportsman stock. But ya know - You guys know more than I do Peace - Ian
Old 08-01-2003, 11:26 PM   #42

Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng

its probably easier on the motor too

no matter where you race your motor will still get warm. unless your doing some sort of winter rally outside

even if it doesnt do anything performance wize it can probably make it last a bit longer
and a fan couldnt hurt right?
and wieght cant do anything
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 01:48 AM   #43
Tech Initiate

The motor thing ... in my opinion is just (extra) !
Raikonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2003, 12:53 PM   #44
Tech Regular

Motor Maintainance

I was under the impression you were to rebuild your motor and cut the comm after every 3-4 runs on a regular basis and I know for a fact at big races people do rebuilds between every run. I dont (honestly) know if motor longetivity really matters in this case. Honestly - I think its just a fad. I think its pretty cool to see fans on rc cars... But in all reality... its not going to help unless you are at the level where you can really feel the motor drop off and if you run a perfect line 24 - 7. For us regular guys.... its hard enough (speaking for myself) to maintain a perfect line for 5 minutes without boffing (boffing (n) technical term for messing up). Keep it real! Ian
Old 08-02-2003, 01:30 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Awh come on Ian. Keep it real?? When was the last time you were in a sports store. They only sell cloths. Well at least you can look the part........
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote