Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Countering Oversteer: Shock Mounts, Springs? >

Countering Oversteer: Shock Mounts, Springs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Countering Oversteer: Shock Mounts, Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2001, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Default Countering Oversteer: Shock Mounts, Springs?

Hello!
I was trying out a new setting on my TA04. And the car had a lot of oversteer/is loose. The tail end would whip around especially in hairpins. It was equipped with Sorex32rs and Yok 23T stock. Carpark track, slightly damp weather, pretty technical.

I tried several ways to counter which worked:
a) Lower (more laydown) front shock mount.
b) Softer Rear Shock Spring
c) Harder Front Shock Spring

Ok now the question is: which is more preferable? A Softer Rear Shock Spring or a Harder Front Suspension? I did not seem to notice much difference with either, and I went with the Harder Front Shock Spring.

I did notice however the car slightly less stable on the straight (if and only if I take the outer line which has bumps) with the harderned front springs, but infield I could not really tell the difference.

I would appreciate any comments which is preferable. Or would the optimum be a more laid down front shock? Thanks!

Regards,
Alvin

PS: I did a bad things and changed more than 2 settinsg to get this oversteer; by removing the HPI Evo 6 shell's stock rear wing and installing a protofoam accord rear wing.
Old 12-28-2001, 05:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default oversteer/ loose condition

i'd change the wing back first, then check your diffs for too much looseness or tightness, set them evenlly for now. set the front shock more upright (to take steering out) and lay the rear shocks down more (to add traction), i always use soft springs, especially in the rear. i don't have much experience with the TA04 but these are basic cures for a loose condition. good luck
Old 12-28-2001, 05:49 AM
Regional Moderator

For medium temperature use Sorex 36R and for HOT temp use 40R.
Old 12-28-2001, 08:19 PM
Tech Master

carpark track .... is it tarmac or those carpack surface u would find on shopping complexes.....
for the surface on shopping complexes standing up the shocks will give u overstear and on tarmac standing it up will give understear......-thats what i found out

THATS GENERALLY ... but sometimes it depends on the track ... and soo many other conditions.

heh u r running sorex 36R now
how r they ? COOL? hehehe .... with stock 23turn sorexes are way cool grip like heck ....

ok first if u have roll bars try em out ... it will fix overstear.....
if u dont ... i think going with the setting which suits ur track best will help ...
like u said if u went with harder springs infront its less stable .. on the outer line on strights what about other places? is it faster or slower? expecially in turns.

what if u went witha softer springs in da rear does it help stability at the outer line on strights... if it does then ... how is it on turns? faster then the first setup? or slower?

another tip ...... get a stratus it helps plant ur rear into the ground .....

also another way of seeing and seting up ur car is how much tyraction does the track has... if it has tons of traction and its smooth then a harder front is preferable but if it has less traction a softer rear will be of course an advantage ..

still it depends...
depending on ur driving style and ur car if the track is slipery like slightly dusty basketball court where softer springs does not give u any significant increase in traction but insteed it slows u down in turns

then get a superstiff suspension so ur car will drift or slide all over .... cause with a superstiff suspension drifting is EASIER to control compared to the softer one .... hehe on certain track conditions drifting is way faster ... trust me....
without drifting ur will be UNDERSTEARING here and there ( no traction)

lowering the front shock mount actually decreases stearing which helps overcoming overstear BUT it also permits more roll(softer inital compression if layed down) whereby ur front inner wheel might lift off on a fast tight speeping coner if its not balanced properly by using the right combination of spring and oil

if u learn psysics u will learn about same ammount of force applied at a 30 degree angle and a 45 degree one ends up as different ammounts on y- axis (90degree) so its the same ...teory if u break it down to a single suspension ... but there are 4 independant suspensions which is at work here so each difference made on each will affect the other 3....i kinda understand this part but still not SOO sure and its a heck if i want to explain it in detail
but generally laying down the suspension actually gives SOFTER inital compression ....which means it compress softest softer then soft then harder -harder- and harder
but if u stand it up it will be more liner... well if u see a TAO3F before u will see the shock at 90degrees and the compression is liner therefore u need to set it up slightly harder to that it will not bottom out ... and if u look at most buggies... its layed down its so u can set it much softer but yet as it compresses it hardens and therefor u dont bottom out that easilly

wel about the harder and softer front and rear shock spings ... they actually work the same way just that how soft or stiff u would want ur car overall so that it would suit ur track

hope this helps ...
any question or anything i missed out here and u need explanation ... just ask dun be shy LOL
Old 12-29-2001, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Countering Oversteer: Shock Mounts, Springs?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alvin
[B]Ok now the question is: which is more preferable? A Softer Rear Shock Spring or a Harder Front Suspension? I did not seem to notice much difference with either, and I went with the Harder Front Shock Spring.

At my experience, there's some relation between rear and front, for my part, I use one spring harder front, than rear. So usually I try springs harder/softer until I find the point where there's a good compromise between response and traction. AFterwards I fine tune with anti roll bars and camber links. Usually I lay the shocks down as much as possible. But that's probably just a personal preference.

The harder the springs (but still maintaining the front/rear relation), the less grip and the less front/rear weight transfer. And the more responsive the car get.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:12 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The quickest and simplest way to fight oversteer is to take away some of the steering!

I know it doesn't sound as exotic as changing the rear wing or trying a new body or swapping sway bars or springs or whatever. But thats always the first thing I try. Just dial out some of the dual rate to limit the steering range.

I'm willing to bet that that will solve your oversteer problem. If it doesn't then I would try some of the other methods listed here.
Old 12-29-2001, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Default dual rate

the dual rate is a good point.

i should add, i always run sorex 20Rs on carpet, they work great with a soft set-up. the HPI 20s work well and so do the HPIb15-40s but the 15-40s wear FAST!
Old 12-29-2001, 12:23 PM
Tech Regular

Reduce steering worked for me... but strangly when I got too much oversteer, I had to stand the rear shocks more upright....
The car was RCLAB 6 Evo1...

I generally run softer at the rear..... I run on tarmac track.... 35 oil...
Old 12-29-2001, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

hehe i never worked with a middle mounted car YET so ... if u ask me i say ...
lol
but i gather it should be the same