R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 PM   #16
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I designed my new 1/10th pan car with the idea of using the saddle pack lipo formed as a brick pack,Stick pack lipo or 4 cell nickle metal cells.I will be offering a tray to fit them all. Saddle pack lipo works the best out of the 2 styles of lipo. You use your electronics to balance the car yet still maintain ideal front to rear weight bias. The car will always be balanced left to right.

There are alot of ways to use a saddle pack. This will make them usefull for any configuration from TC to 1/12th,1/10th pan to 1/10th Offroad.

Here is a pic of our current layout that has been working extremely well.
Attached Thumbnails
Backwards Lipo use: Time to evolve Peoples.-db10rtopsm.jpg   Backwards Lipo use: Time to evolve Peoples.-db10rlfqtrsm.jpg  
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Any chance thes cells may fit your pan car? They are 19mm x 38mm x 655mm
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 08:30 PM   #18
Tech Lord

655mm Wow
J Concepts
Old 03-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #19
Tech Lord

If you mean 65mm than yes they will fit. 655mm is bigger than my car.
J Concepts
Old 03-24-2008, 05:07 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post

Any chance thes cells may fit your pan car? They are 19mm x 38mm x 655mm

I know some folks looking for a 4 cell equiv of the Lipo. Any info on these cells? Brand, voltage, and where to purchase?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:29 AM   #21
Tech Addict

a 65.5mm long cell won't fit in a 4 cell saddle car. I think those packs even have less capacity than my trusty old 4200's.

I'm all for A123 getting into RC but unless they get off their butts and build a RC sized cell it's not gonna happen.
Fred_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post
a 65.5mm long cell won't fit in a 4 cell saddle car. I think those packs even have less capacity than my trusty old 4200's.

I'm all for A123 getting into RC but unless they get off their butts and build a RC sized cell it's not gonna happen.
Some one has to use up all those sub-c's
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_B View Post

they have more effective capacity though. don't get me started on charge/discharge efficiency...
Old 03-24-2008, 08:28 AM   #24
Tech Adept

Talking

the future is here

TA05MS, F201, F103GT, RS4 Mini, TopForce (original), Mini Inferno, **Tamiya BMT 931 K4** "I am a new soul, welcome to the new world, so proud to joint the TEAM MORON. lalalala" We love Onions products, so touching. COL - cry out loud
zenithrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #25
NIC
Tech Rookie

Hi,

There has been alot of testing around with different brushless motors and batteries since bl-motors became "available" for cars more then 10 years ago.
Then when lipos first came out people also started experimented with them in cars and trying alot different combinations some 5 years ago.

Itīs good to see ROAR has taken this step and other oranisations will offcoarse follow.
I'm sure the the legal weightlimit will be reduced soon, but it's a little catch 22:
As long as the miniumum weight limit remains unchanged people at top level will use Nimh because the cars is designed and balanced around nimh and they have a slight voltage advantage at the start when using 6 cells/2S-lipo.
At other levels then absolutely top level most people are using lipos and ad ballast to the cars.

But then when the M.W.L. is lowered and the lipos still has the current shape of a brick it will be harder to balance out the cars as they are designed today.
It woulden't hurt if the lipos were either a bit shorter or a bit narrower as that also would have made L/F balancing easier.

I sure hope the cars goes the lighter route in the future as it helps with basically everything regarding performance and economy.

I have personally been investigating this and planing for it more then 16 months. This is how I would built the touringcar I want to drive and what I feel is the right way.
The car is basically as light as possible while still beeing perfectly balanced and goes and handles like a dream.

http://rsb.se/gallery//showimage.php?i=271&catid=5

NIC
NIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

The problem with going to LiPOs is that everyone is expecting an exact replacement for NiMH.

Just Like brushless, "what brushed does this equal"

The cars were designed for NiMH (space, placement, and weight)
Going to LiPO will can only match one of those design aspects without modifying the car (dremel, ballast, ect)

Just like the "curse" in 1:12 pan cars, they were completely designed for 4-cell NiMH and motors to match. Unless a drastic change is made, to the class the curse of NiMH will linger. I do not know if this will solve anything, but make 1:12 cars to use the same electronics as a the 1/18 cars. A 4wd 1/18 will draw more power than a 2wd 1:12 and the only difference in size is wheelbase length. There is no need to have a big 540 brushless motor and high wind that motor slower than a rock crawler.

Two ways to end the curse in 1:12
6-cell 2/3A battery pack or LiPO pack same size.
380 silver can motor or any Novak, Tekin or Castle 380 Brushless systems.

Yes I forgot the "." in my 65.5mm measurement
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIC View Post
Hi,

There has been alot of testing around with different brushless motors and batteries since bl-motors became "available" for cars more then 10 years ago.
Then when lipos first came out people also started experimented with them in cars and trying alot different combinations some 5 years ago.

Itīs good to see ROAR has taken this step and other oranisations will offcoarse follow.
I'm sure the the legal weightlimit will be reduced soon, but it's a little catch 22:
As long as the miniumum weight limit remains unchanged people at top level will use Nimh because the cars is designed and balanced around nimh and they have a slight voltage advantage at the start when using 6 cells/2S-lipo.
At other levels then absolutely top level most people are using lipos and ad ballast to the cars.

But then when the M.W.L. is lowered and the lipos still has the current shape of a brick it will be harder to balance out the cars as they are designed today.
It woulden't hurt if the lipos were either a bit shorter or a bit narrower as that also would have made L/F balancing easier.

I sure hope the cars goes the lighter route in the future as it helps with basically everything regarding performance and economy.

I have personally been investigating this and planing for it more then 16 months. This is how I would built the touringcar I want to drive and what I feel is the right way.
The car is basically as light as possible while still beeing perfectly balanced and goes and handles like a dream.

http://rsb.se/gallery//showimage.php?i=271&catid=5

NIC

That's indeed a very impressive design. 300g less than my TRF driving right now. to counter the exceed weight on the motor side, I use a Futaba 9650 to also lighten up the front end. I tested it on low traction surface. The front end respond is improved noticeably. I assume if your prototype can be accept by majority, even the track size can be reduce greatly to a degree close to 1/12. a lot of parking lot racing can be then possibile.
TA05MS, F201, F103GT, RS4 Mini, TopForce (original), Mini Inferno, **Tamiya BMT 931 K4** "I am a new soul, welcome to the new world, so proud to joint the TEAM MORON. lalalala" We love Onions products, so touching. COL - cry out loud
zenithrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
. A 4wd 1/18 will draw more power than a 2wd 1:12 and the only difference in size is wheelbase length. There is no need to have a big 540 brushless motor and high wind that motor slower than a rock crawler.
Are you sure on that? A m18 in example weighs much less than a 1/12th sedan. Or are you comparing to say, a larger off-road style 1/18th? Novak is the only ESC combo manufacturer offering a 380 size, which some feel may be too much for the smaller 1/18ths. There seems to be a battle going on of what will become the brushless size. First it was 180, 280, 370, and now 380 with the Novak. Personally IMO 370 (24mm diameter can) is the best compromise for all classes. Getting OT, sorry.

On topic.. why not let 12th scale run 7.4 if a lipo can be manufactured with 4 cell dimensions? Is it the speed will be beyond controllable? It certainly would have less headaches of sometimes needing receiver packs or special electronics. The other method though, which still could benefit from the same manufacturing of a 4 cell 7.4. Parallel output. So that 3000+ would be 6000mah+ at 3.7 volts. Of course, that gets into even greater needs for low voltage electronics. Still.. I think its a possible solution that would benefit from this proposed lipo form factor without having to make the manufacturer retool another setup.
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

brain bodine of slapmaster fame, has run a 1/12 at SIR, with a 7.4 lipo and smaller micro motor, didn't you help him with esc setup? i don't remember who it was that helped him. that car was stupid fast.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #30
Tech Lord

380 motor on asphalt in 1/12th is horrible. We tried it in several different cars and it sucked equally. No rear bite.
J Concepts