R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-21-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default I'm looking for good drift tyres

Plastic ones are out of the question, way too slow.

i got some hard foam ones from a friend and they were perfect, grip in a straight line but can hold a drift a about 30kph.

unfortunatly i dont know who made them and the ones i have are worn out
jokerkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

I've wondered about this too, hopefully this thread won't just fade to the back and get lost? Ppl, someone must have some info to share?

I'm curious about the tire differences for various track surfaces, such outdoor on road drifting (asphalt vc concrete), indoor finished floors (school gyms etc), maybe painted concrete? Not really interested in ABS tires.

Thanks for any and all information,
Tamiya F103GT & F103RM
Tamiya M04M & M03M
Tamiya TB02R & TB02
Tamiya DF03
Specktrum DX3R-DSMII
AllShowNoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

see, at first i thought the plastic ones were good, easy to hold a drift and i hadn't tried it at any speed before,
but when i bought my race car, with brushless setup and 11v battery, i got given those foam tyres as grip tyres, but when i tried them out, they were like the perfect drift tyres for high speed.

i've been told by the local drifters that they're crap and plastic ones are the only ones they use, but they cant get half the lap time i can while still drifting
Old 03-21-2008, 06:43 PM   #4
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Then you miss the point of r/c drifting completely.Its not about lap times really.Sounds like you like an onroad car that slides similarly to a drift car.A really good drift setup uses tires that allow the car to achieve extreme angles.Grippy tires you are talking about cant do this consistently.But to each his own.Hope you find the answer.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #5
Suspended

Try these web forums.

http://www.drccentral.com

http://www.groovydrift.com/index.html

You may find what your looking for there.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by racenut123 View Post
Then you miss the point of r/c drifting completely.Its not about lap times really.Sounds like you like an onroad car that slides similarly to a drift car.A really good drift setup uses tires that allow the car to achieve extreme angles.Grippy tires you are talking about cant do this consistently.But to each his own.Hope you find the answer.
see i dont know why the whole drift scene is now about angles. it seems r/c doesnt get the point of drifting

as far as i'm concerned its still about going round corners without slowing down.

i can still get 90 degrees round a corner at 20-30kph. and its a lot more fun. not to mention better to look at
Old 03-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Jokerkd, I was going say sounds like you were using a hard sore foam racing tire. I've done a bit of reading up on drifting and never found anything about foam drift tires, but then if I knew everything I wouldn't be asking questions

Racenut, any drifting info you can share, sounds like you've run a track or two?

Back to the question, I've heard the Yoko's are the best, but hard to find and expensive to maintain.(replaceable rings and all)

Tamiya has some drift tires, but I'm not sure of the quality, they're also sold pre mounted too, are they any good?

HPI also has drift tires too, but never found any of them locally.

Anyone have any comments to make on any of these?

(I hate waisting hard earned money on Cr*p, but waisting time is even worse)
Tamiya F103GT & F103RM
Tamiya M04M & M03M
Tamiya TB02R & TB02
Tamiya DF03
Specktrum DX3R-DSMII
Old 03-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Suspended

I get what your saying. But it is what it is.

Look at this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TV3g...pBB2/index.php

Angles like this will be hard to achieve with any kind of foam.But it sounds like your after a completely different style of drifting altogether.Good luck!
Old 03-21-2008, 07:01 PM   #9
Suspended

T-drifts from HPI are great.Good forward bite but slide perfect.A little expensive in comparison to tires like the SUSHI Drift abs tires alot of people use.Sushi drifts can be had for 9 dollars for 3 SETS{4 tires} on ebay.Can't beat that.

The Yoke SD are popular in drifint,but the Hotbodies cyclone series of cars are gaining popularity and winning events.The Yokomo BD is also a nice drifter.I am personally using a Tamiya TAO5R for my drifter and have heard that is a really balance platform because of it weight distribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllShowNoGo View Post
Jokerkd,

Racenut, any drifting info you can share, sounds like you've run a track or two?

Back to the question, I've heard the Yoko's are the best, but hard to find and expensive to maintain.(replaceable rings and all)

Tamiya has some drift tires, but I'm not sure of the quality, they're also sold pre mounted too, are they any good?

HPI also has drift tires too, but never found any of them locally.

Anyone have any comments to make on any of these?

(I hate waisting hard earned money on Cr*p, but waisting time is even worse)
Old 03-21-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

I've seen a car run on drift tires at our carpet track, looked good, but I can see why Jokerkd is looking for speed. (The car was run on a full size race track, usually an 11-12 sec 19t track, the drift run was almost 3 times as long).

Any comments on tire compounds for a)asphalt, b) painted concrete/gym floors, c)carpet.

(Our track prefers not to let ABS tires in the doors for various reasons, all of which I agree with btw)
Tamiya F103GT & F103RM
Tamiya M04M & M03M
Tamiya TB02R & TB02
Tamiya DF03
Specktrum DX3R-DSMII
Old 03-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #11
Suspended

T-drifts then for carpet will work good.

I am a "grip" racer 1st hand.I run Touring car on a small carpet track and a Huge asphalt track.Drift cars are not fun on typical onroad tracks.Their tracks and layouts are very specialized just for the type of use.Broad sweeping radius turns/s-turns/switchbacks.Any kind of turns that focus on style/angle/approach and difficulty.The average onroad track is either way to open or way too long.Just an observation.I suggest going to these other forums listed to get proper answers.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

I should have added to the earlier post; The track usually doesn't let people run drift tires on the carpet for obvious reasons. Most of which you pointed out, but in addition, the carpet is still in near perfect condition after being used for the last few years. Drifting would cause way to much damage to the racing carpet.

(This one time run was done a top national driver on a new out of the box set of drift tires)

I've checked out the web sites you mentioned, thanks. I'll post my Q's there as well.
Tamiya F103GT & F103RM
Tamiya M04M & M03M
Tamiya TB02R & TB02
Tamiya DF03
Specktrum DX3R-DSMII
Old 03-22-2008, 01:31 AM   #13
Tech Apprentice

i've never even seen a carpet track, i race on asphalt and thats what i need tyres for. the plastic ones are just way too slow, i might as well have a 50 turn brushed motor.
the carpet looks totally different and i see how plastic might grip btter on it but i drift round a full size asphalt track and with the tyres i had, i could drift round corners faster than i could drive round them on a set of sorex 28s

the guy in the video has skills though, he gets real close to those cones
Old 03-22-2008, 04:08 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Almost all the drifters here are using T-Drifts now.

They run mostly on parking lots and the cars can get some good speed going. Although most of the track setups are more technical and slower.

Have you looked at the HPI Super Drift Radials?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMRD5&P=7

Or their Vintage Drift Tires?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTVP5&P=7
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #15
Tech Adept

there are "only" 3 types of foam in the world. doesn't matter who made it I guess

Jap foam: good wear rate, good driving characteristic, good grip

Euro foam(italy foam): ok wear rate, maximum grip, not so good driving characteristic, it's a no no for drifting, it loss control too fast.

US foam: bad wear rate, very good driving characteristic, maximum grip on carpet, marked carpet only due to wear rate.

a lot of foam are using dual components, at their inside and outside part(not inner outer). Manufactories uses color for marking instead of shore. check out the chart, I know it's complicated Have Fun

Zac racing and GRP are so far I have used
zenithrr is offline   Reply With Quote