R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #61
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Well, that's roughly 12x24'. You could lay something like that down in a driveway or garage. The tiles are from getrung.com. It's pretty fun so far, but I need to spend some time making the car work better. It's kind of thrown together at the moment.

The straight is 4' wide, and the other lanes are 3' wide. Each tile is 2x2. I'm using a cut up garden hose for my barrier, but it's kind of a hassle to be honest. Maybe PVC next.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #62
Tech Elite

PVC for the straightaway, and Dollar Store salad plates turned upside down for the infield. Put a small bead of silicone on the rim of the plates to make them non-skid, let cure overnight before using them. Essentially they'd be mini Road Domes but only a buck a piece.
chicagokenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #63
Tech Regular

IVE been of line for a while .coming back its good to see the video of your track syn.glad to see you getting a result with the little sin.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #64
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug 205 gti View Post
IVE been of line for a while .coming back its good to see the video of your track syn.glad to see you getting a result with the little sin.
Yeah, it's a cute little car, and seems to have a lot of promise. I'm wondering if a Scalpel wouldn't better suit my needs, though. I'm going to redesign the track using something other than garden hose, they all curled back up overnight, and it sucks taping them down. Since I'm currently racing alone, I could probably just use some kind of colorful tape to make my layout (like masking tape) and then maybe do dots on the corners to keep me honest. It would nearly eliminate breakage, and I could even reuse some of the space for different parts of the layout since I'm not worried about oncoming traffic at the moment.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 PM   #65
Tech Regular

Have you yet played with the spinner esc to see how the chassis handles with a shell on??
Old 04-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #66
Tech Lord

Quote:
Have you yet played with the spinner esc to see how the chassis handles with a shell on??
Not yet. I had trouble with the Spinner initially, so I need to see if it'll work right with a different motor. I also need to convert the car to using gears since the belt drive snapped. It was nice and quiet with the belt drive, I must admit. I've got all the parts I need, it's just a matter of finding the time. I'm racing off-road tonight, so I imagine sometime in the next day or two I'll get around to it.

The car's handling is somewhat unpredictable and weird. I was driving carefully in the video so I didn't have to get marshaled, but I'm struggling to get the car to turn in how I'd like. It's got a weird push, and then weird oversteer in some places. I'm hoping that's just setup and body related. I'll keep with it. After watching some videos on YouTube, it seems like I could use a 1/18 car in the space I have. It's not that I don't like the Sinister, it's just very small, and support is pretty thin due to its limited audience. I must say, though, the guys at Team Go have been VERY helpful and supportive. They're a cool bunch, and I hope they do well with their little cars.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #67
Tech Regular

After browsing the electrics most recent posts ive just noticed you started the rdx phi thread.i take it youve had quite a few 1/10 tourers in your time?
I know you have been bitten by the tamiya bug and gone 416 now.i,m still living in the past with the msx mre.
Any chance of you sharing your opinions on your previous tourers?
as ive only has the msx and the tc4.thanks
Old 04-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #68
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendog220 View Post
i'll be moving for a new job, and i'll face the same kind of situation: no more close-by indoor track...

have you tried parking lot drifting? it can be very fun, too... just a couple cones and track dots can make a good practice course. but even so, we need good pals to run with. i'll surely miss my pals here...
I missed this one.

Yeah, moving away from my racing friends was hard for sure. I've pretty lucky, though, there are a ton of cool guys to race with here, and they've been pretty tolerant of the new guy. :-) I joined the local on-road club, and mix it up with them whenever I can. Off-road has been cool, too, and there's a permanent track fairly close to home. I didn't have that option back home.

The nice thing about racing buddies is that if you all travel to big races, you get to see them and reunite, which is added incentive for making the trip.

For me, this process has been, more than anything, about getting as much wheel time as possible. Everything I've ever been great at was because I did it constantly. The same would surely be true for R/C racing.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:59 PM   #69
Tech Lord

Quote:
After browsing the electrics most recent posts ive just noticed you started the rdx phi thread.i take it youve had quite a few 1/10 tourers in your time?
I know you have been bitten by the tamiya bug and gone 416 now.i,m still living in the past with the msx mre.
Any chance of you sharing your opinions on your previous tourers?
as ive only has the msx and the tc4.thanks
Well, I'm no expert, so I'm not sure my opinion on sedans is more valid than anybody else's, but...

I started with the RDX and drove it for 2+ years. It was a fine car, and put up with a lot of abuse as I learned the ropes. I eventually gave it up for a Type-R, because I was big into LiPo and brushless, and wanted a car that was designed for it. I gave up the Type-R pretty quickly because I was never fond of how it handled, especially on rubber tires. There are guys that go amazingly fast with that car, but I just couldn't make it work for me. I decided to go with the 416 because there were things I'd heard and seen from the Phi I wasn't real keen on, and because I wanted to do something new. So far, I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll stick with Tamiya for a long while. I think a lot of people overlook them because they're associated with so many non-race cars, but the TRF sedans are awesome. I couldn't be more pleased with my choice.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #70
Tech Regular

Im in no rush to get the 416 but it will happen!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey syn, it's no wonder you need practise if thats how you drive your tourer....

Sorry boss, couldn't resist
Old 04-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #72
Tech Lord

Zing! Go easy on me. :-) It was a new car with a janky setup on a new surface! I'll get another video together after a while, and try to drive a little better. But yeah, I do need the practice!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #73
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Having recently moved to a city without a permanent on-road facility, I find myself discouraged by the lack of practice time I'm getting. In fact, even with a track in town, it was hard to get away more than once a week since it was a 30 mile jaunt each way. I enjoy competitive racing, and hope to continue my growth as a driver. The problem is, if I can't get enough practice to improve and become more competitive, a lot of what I find fun about the hobby begins to fade away. My primary style of racing is 1/10 rubber tire on carpet, and I hope to travel some this year to large events to race it. Since there's none of that available locally until next winter (or 180 miles round-trip), I'm hoping to find other things I can do that will improve my skills, and hopefully translate to being better at my primary style of racing.

So, I've come up with a few options. I guess what I'm wondering, is, will any of these things actually help, and also if there are other ideas from the crowd, or stories on what has worked for you. It seems like many on-road drivers have lost their home tracks recently, so maybe this is something that other people have been thinking about as well.

Options:

1. On-Road Asphalt (parking lots): There's a lot of parking lot racing out here during the summer, and I plan to do it as often as possible. I figure this is going to be the closest I'll get to racing on carpet since I'll be using my same car, and it should further my knowledge of setup and adapting to difference environments and traction levels. I'd like to think the time spent here will directly influence my ability on carpet. I'm most looking forward to this type of racing, as I've never really raced outside.

2. Off-Road: We have a local indoor off-road track. I decided to pick up a buggy to do some racing. Off-road is fun, and I'm told the competition at this track is world-class. I don't expect to win much, but I'm hoping the wheel time will somehow make me sharper, and better when racing on-road. It seems to me that diversity as a racer can only improve your overall skill, however that's just speculation. Also, I'm told buggies require a lot of finesse and throttle control, which I'd like to think will improve the old smooth finger.

3. Virtual RC: Truly, this game pisses me off, because it's so close, yet so far away. I definitely have to credit it for improving my car control early on, but as I get more experienced, the game's shortcomings are maddening. It's far enough from the real thing that the little nuances drive me crazy. I'm eager to see how things improve with V4, especially with the introduction of electric on-road. I hear all the physics are completely redone, so perhaps the things that annoy me about the current version will be better.

4. Mini-Z: This is a new one I've been thinking about. I have a pretty large area in my basement that I may be able to convert into an "RCP" track. I stumbled across a Mini-Z video on YouTube today, and was surprised at how much it looked like a perfectly scaled down version of the on-road racing we do. In poking around, it seems like you can get by with fairly small tracks and really get a good portion of the whole on-road experience. Here is an example of one of the top Mini-Z drivers, wheeling a ridiculously fast (and expensive!!!) car around a track that seems pretty large by Mini-Z standards. Also, you can see a more reasonably priced car zipping around on a smaller track, which also looks very similar to our on-road cars. I'm most excited about this option, as it's something I could do at home, it's still a real car, and the driving style and control required seem like they would be very similar to our big cars. Has anybody raced these, or do you have any opinion on whether or not that kind of wheel time could translate to improved skills with a bigger car?

That's about all I've come up with for the moment, but I'm still looking around. I do feel like watching videos of good drivers helps me a lot, since I better understand how my car should look on the track, and I can study the lines they take on different layouts. Otherwise, it seems like I spend 99.9% of my R/C time thinking about racing, but not actually doing it. To me, that feels like a VERY long road toward improvement.
Hey Syndrome, I was thinking of buying Virtual Rc for the very same reason as you-practice.What was that you didn't like about this game? Thanks.
outlandr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #74
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Syndromes thread, but the developers have really been responsive for this other RC Car sim.

http://www.3drcracing.com/

Excellent Practice! Especially with Pro-mod.
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #75
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I missed this one.

Yeah, moving away from my racing friends was hard for sure. I've pretty lucky, though, there are a ton of cool guys to race with here, and they've been pretty tolerant of the new guy. :-) I joined the local on-road club, and mix it up with them whenever I can. Off-road has been cool, too, and there's a permanent track fairly close to home. I didn't have that option back home.

The nice thing about racing buddies is that if you all travel to big races, you get to see them and reunite, which is added incentive for making the trip.

For me, this process has been, more than anything, about getting as much wheel time as possible. Everything I've ever been great at was because I did it constantly. The same would surely be true for R/C racing.

Awwww... You miss me