R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 PM   #46
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to revolution31

So is the basement finished with carpet or a hard surface? I would think you probably will want a hard surface beneath the track surface so you can walk on the track without ruining/distorting it...

I still think if I were setting up a track in my basement...I'd do 18th scale offroad on carpet (or that rubber mat stuff) because there is more you can do with track layout with jumps n all...plus it is relatively cheap, and I'm sure you could run a mini brushed stock motor with the smaller LiPo batteries in a small area just fine.

Post some pics when you get the track set up with the tiles
revolution31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:42 PM   #47
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolution31 View Post
So is the basement finished with carpet or a hard surface? I would think you probably will want a hard surface beneath the track surface so you can walk on the track without ruining/distorting it...

I still think if I were setting up a track in my basement...I'd do 18th scale offroad on carpet (or that rubber mat stuff) because there is more you can do with track layout with jumps n all...plus it is relatively cheap, and I'm sure you could run a mini brushed stock motor with the smaller LiPo batteries in a small area just fine.

Post some pics when you get the track set up with the tiles
The basement is finished with carpet, but it's a berber style, so it's got almost no pile at all. I think it will suffice as a sub floor, we walk on the mats all the time for the little gym area without any trouble.

I'm going to give this 1/28 car a genuine attempt, and see if I can make it work for me. I think the area might feel a little small with 1/18. As for making it off-road, that's definitely an option. I'd rather do on-road, but after driving the B4 around the basement tonight, there's something to be said for the fun of jumping. I need to get out to MHOR and give it a whirl.

I'll definitely post pictures (and video?) once things get rolling.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #48
Tech Regular

Have you got any closer to running the sinister yet??
Old 04-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #49
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
The basement is finished with carpet, but it's a berber style, so it's got almost no pile at all. I think it will suffice as a sub floor, we walk on the mats all the time for the little gym area without any trouble.

I'm going to give this 1/28 car a genuine attempt, and see if I can make it work for me. I think the area might feel a little small with 1/18. As for making it off-road, that's definitely an option. I'd rather do on-road, but after driving the B4 around the basement tonight, there's something to be said for the fun of jumping. I need to get out to MHOR and give it a whirl.

I'll definitely post pictures (and video?) once things get rolling.
MHOR is a lot of fun...I unfortunately can't make it down there too often because the cost of gas would kill me...but this summer I will definitely be making a few Wednesday night trips to run in one of the brushless classes
Old 04-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #50
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug 205 gti View Post
Have you got any closer to running the sinister yet??
Yeah, I'm getting closer. I think one more batch of parts (uhg) should have me well on my way. I'll probably give it a test run tonight. What a mess it's been.

Quote:
MHOR is a lot of fun...I unfortunately can't make it down there too often because the cost of gas would kill me...but this summer I will definitely be making a few Wednesday night trips to run in one of the brushless classes
Cool, let me know, I'll try and make a point to get out those nights. The B4 seems like it's ready, aside from my awesome white paint job. I'm hoping to get out there this wednesday to give off-road a shot. I'd like to get up there and check out the carpet track you guys have, but ~200 miles at today's gas prices is painful.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #51
Tech Addict

Quote:
I'm hoping to get out there this wednesday to give off-road a shot. I'd like to get up there and check out the carpet track you guys have, but ~200 miles at today's gas prices is painful.
Yeah...I can't afford it much any more...especially since race fees are another $15 on top of the $20 in gas...and a new set of tires to be really competitive is another $40 on top of that...makes for a pretty spendy night...

After seeing what you are doing, I am honestly considering setting up a small track at my place too...The cost of carpet and maybe some materials to build some jumps (if I do an offroad track) is far less than the cost of going to Denver to race in the middle of the week every week...
Old 04-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #52
Tech Lord

Quote:
Yeah...I can't afford it much any more...especially since race fees are another $15 on top of the $20 in gas...and a new set of tires to be really competitive is another $40 on top of that...makes for a pretty spendy night...

After seeing what you are doing, I am honestly considering setting up a small track at my place too...The cost of carpet and maybe some materials to build some jumps (if I do an offroad track) is far less than the cost of going to Denver to race in the middle of the week every week...
You can get genuine Ozite from CRC for like $300 in a 6x60 roll if I calculated right. And that size can be shipped via UPS. That's cheaper than RCP, and possibly even the crappy tiles from getrung.

I hear the cost of off-road tires is even more insane than sedans? Rubber tire sedan on carpet is a dream, you can run those things for quite a long time without losing much, if anything.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Yeah, they are pretty insane if you have to buy them at the hobbyshop there...You'll pay $10 for a set of rims..and $13 for front tires and $15 for rear tires....If you want different inserts than comes with the tires...thats another like $12 for a set of 4 inserts...it is kind of crazy.... and at MHOR, you go through tires like they are nothing because they like having a really hard (asphalt basically) surface...

If I do buy carpet for a small offroad track, I would go get some cheap industrial type stuff from some local store that has extra from a recent carpet install...
Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 AM   #54
Tech Initiate

Quote:
You can get genuine Ozite from CRC for like $300 in a 6x60 roll if I calculated right. And that size can be shipped via UPS. That's cheaper than RCP, and possibly even the crappy tiles from getrung.

I hear the cost of off-road tires is even more insane than sedans? Rubber tire sedan on carpet is a dream, you can run those things for quite a long time without losing much, if anything.
i'll be moving for a new job, and i'll face the same kind of situation: no more close-by indoor track...

have you tried parking lot drifting? it can be very fun, too... just a couple cones and track dots can make a good practice course. but even so, we need good pals to run with. i'll surely miss my pals here...
dendog220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #55
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
I'd like to run a proper brushless system rather than some sensorless hack job.
Quote of the year!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #56
Tech Fanatic

Syndrom

if you go the Mini-Z route, try this.

Brushless micro system( not mini)

trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #57
Tech Elite

Quote:
3. Virtual RC: Truly, this game pisses me off, because it's so close, yet so far away. I definitely have to credit it for improving my car control early on, but as I get more experienced, the game's shortcomings are maddening. It's far enough from the real thing that the little nuances drive me crazy. I'm eager to see how things improve with V4, especially with the introduction of electric on-road. I hear all the physics are completely redone, so perhaps the things that annoy me about the current version will be better.
Out of interst, what annoy's you about VRC, I have only raced a demo of it about 18 months ago, once I'd established it didn't do electric I lost interest.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #58
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Out of interst, what annoy's you about VRC, I have only raced a demo of it about 18 months ago, once I'd established it didn't do electric I lost interest.

Skiddins
I guess the physics, maybe? It was okay when I was a beginner, but as I got more familiar with how cars react, the game started to feel a lot less accurate, and frustrating. It was very close, though. I still have high hopes for the next version.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:30 AM   #59
Tech Lord

Default Little track, big practice

Well, I got the basement track setup, and did a little test run. The car is still a bit unpredictable and hard to drive, but that will come with time. My driving was pretty lousy in the video. I guess that's why I need the practice. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubWWmPTPzes
Old 04-15-2008, 07:57 AM   #60
Tech Addict

Looks like it is coming along nicely Syn. I just got a 2.4 Ghz mini-z LM in the mail that i would love to try out on it.
BillySnarf is offline   Reply With Quote