R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #31
Tech Regular
 
pug 205 gti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: england uk
Posts: 362
Default

Would this brushless system work well with the sinister or would it be to small.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB9594

Just a thought as it would cut out motor issues.
__________________
Its quietish on rctech lately?
pug 205 gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #32
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug 205 gti View Post
Would this brushless system work well with the sinister or would it be to small.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB9594

Just a thought as it would cut out motor issues.
I think I read the motor pod isn't right? Brushless would be nice for sure. I'll PM you the stuff I grabbed. Supposedly the version I'm getting has all the updates released last month. We'll see.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #33
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 444
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Have you checked out your local Radio Shack? They have good deals on the wide RCP tracks for the Xmods.

Have you tried the xray m18? They are very close to 1/10 scale in regards to performance and handling.
zake540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #34
Tech Champion
 
oXYnary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,301
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary
Default

Dnano's are another option that would take even less room. There is a lap counting system that is supposed to come out for them soon since they have built in transponders.

Here is a MiniZ RC Sim btw:

http://www.3drcracing.com/
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #35
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zake540 View Post
Have you checked out your local Radio Shack? They have good deals on the wide RCP tracks for the Xmods.

Have you tried the xray m18? They are very close to 1/10 scale in regards to performance and handling.
I haven't yet. I don't have a large area to work with though, only like 12'x25', so I'm not sure if a M18 would work out. I'd love to go with 1/18, though, especially with Novak's new Mongoose system.

The dNaNo looks cool, but man, they're tiny. I really want to use my own radio.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #36
Tech Regular
 
pug 205 gti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: england uk
Posts: 362
Default

Hows the project coming on syn.

Has your tgr etc arrived yet??
__________________
Its quietish on rctech lately?
pug 205 gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #37
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug 205 gti View Post
Hows the project coming on syn.

Has your tgr etc arrived yet??
So far, I'm deeply underwhelmed. The car is pretty cool, but the steering system is a giant hack, and doesn't work very well at all. I ended up breaking the steering assembly trying to make it work better, so a new one is on the way. The Spinner ESC runs great in reverse, but stumbles and struggles when it tries to run forward. Also, the front knuckles (new style) seem to be too low, and the chassis is touching the ground. I'm guessing I'll need to modify the spacers in there to get things right. To be honest, I'm really regretting my purchase at this point, and wish I would have gone with something with a bit more support, like a M18. I'm just worried those might be too large.

I see that CRC sells Ozite carpet in 6'x60' rolls, and could probably get one delivered for around $300. As my available track area is around 12'x30', this could be a very good option. I may look into creating a slow 1/18 car and making the lanes a little wider (and track shorter). We'll see how things go with the Sinister, but at this point, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

One interesting thing when considering layouts for practice is that you can reuse a lot of space if you're only running one car. I can extend turns onto a long straight and such. So, I might be able to get by with 1/18 and limited space. I wonder how wide my lanes need to be? Is 4' too narrow for a slow 1/18 car?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #38
Tech Regular
 
pug 205 gti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: england uk
Posts: 362
Default

THAT sucks!!! I bet your really pissed off about that to say the least.

4ft track will be wide enough just try to make the quick turns slightly wider.
ukmicro rc has some videos on site of the indoor 1/18 scale racing, it is of road but it will give you an idea of whats required.
Have a look at this 1/14 scale, its a beauty http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SWK1460

The moongoose will pop in there too.
__________________
Its quietish on rctech lately?
pug 205 gti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM   #39
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug 205 gti View Post
THAT sucks!!! I bet your really pissed off about that to say the least.

4ft track will be wide enough just try to make the quick turns slightly wider.
ukmicro rc has some videos on site of the indoor 1/18 scale racing, it is of road but it will give you an idea of whats required.
Have a look at this 1/14 scale, its a beauty http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SWK1460

The moongoose will pop in there too.
Oh, I'm not pissed, but definitely disappointed so far. I haven't given up hope yet. Novak's Mongoose definitely caught my eye, though. I'd like to run a proper brushless system rather than some sensorless hack job.

I have to admit, Exotek's R18 conversion looks incredible.

http://www.exotekracing.com/EXOTEK_N...ONVERSION.html
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:35 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic
 
trailranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 946
Default

Syndrome

What you want and I want are about the same thing. Something we can drive and not have too much outlay in setting up a track.

So this is what I am thinking:
Find a car that can be driven on a tennis court. Really you want it to be small enough to drive on just half of the court. Your drivers stand is the behind the NET

1:12 scales are just a little big, but it can be don't
1:24 are just a little too small but can be done.

Bring in the 1:18 cars, perfect. There are sedans, ovals and road course pan cars, The off-roadies can stay off-road. Need a track boards? Garden Hose! For corners, just head to Play-it-agian Sports and buy used lifting weights for $0.10 a pound. You can duct tape the hose to the 5lb weight when making sharp corners. Also you can fill the hose with water and cap the ends to extra weight to resist moving.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic
 
trailranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 946
Default

Syndome,

I think the 1/14 recoil would be better than the EXOTEK conversion. Both are very similar in dimensions so, the scales are off. Hell even a 1:12 pan car is just a smidge longer but same width. Second, no need for a doner car for the conversion. Third, Just plane rocks ready to go for $199 and they can handle very large tracks too. I just saw one in action on a 80 x 180 asphalt track used for 1/8 cars. granted it looked small, but it was still clearly seen from the drivers stand.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #42
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

1/18 may be the way to go, especially with a nice brushless system coming out. The trick is to keep the speed down, because they're often very fast. I'm wondering how 4 cell NiMH (yuck) would do with a 13.5 Mongoose. The cars, unfortunately, are mostly foam, but that seems to be changing. XRay are finally offering wheels on which to mount rubber tires for their M18 Pro. I'm not sure what the tire selection is like for that R18 conversion.

I was thinking of using PVC pipe insulation for "boards", but garden hose is probably a lot easier to deal with. As for a surface, real CRC Ozite isn't too ridiculously prices, and you can always use the rough side of the mats from getrung.com. RCP appears to be a lot more expensive than even Ozite. Imagine that.

I realize this isn't the mini section, but I think the idea of larger scale racers using small cars for wheel time is a good one. Especially as tracks seem to dry up. :-(

I'm thrilled I get to race the real car on the asphalt this weekend. At last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
Syndrome

What you want and I want are about the same thing. Something we can drive and not have too much outlay in setting up a track.

So this is what I am thinking:
Find a car that can be driven on a tennis court. Really you want it to be small enough to drive on just half of the court. Your drivers stand is the behind the NET

1:12 scales are just a little big, but it can be don't
1:24 are just a little too small but can be done.

Bring in the 1:18 cars, perfect. There are sedans, ovals and road course pan cars, The off-roadies can stay off-road. Need a track boards? Garden Hose! For corners, just head to Play-it-agian Sports and buy used lifting weights for $0.10 a pound. You can duct tape the hose to the 5lb weight when making sharp corners. Also you can fill the hose with water and cap the ends to extra weight to resist moving.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #43
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
Syndome,

I think the 1/14 recoil would be better than the EXOTEK conversion. Both are very similar in dimensions so, the scales are off. Hell even a 1:12 pan car is just a smidge longer but same width. Second, no need for a doner car for the conversion. Third, Just plane rocks ready to go for $199 and they can handle very large tracks too. I just saw one in action on a 80 x 180 asphalt track used for 1/8 cars. granted it looked small, but it was still clearly seen from the drivers stand.
1/14 recoil seems kind of big for a 12'x30' space though? I was kind of leaning more toward an M18 Pro, since it's smaller, might help give that sedan "feel," and will probably be a little slower than a pan. If I had a larger space, I'd be all over it, but the key for me is being able to practice at home. And for others that don't have basements, options for setting up tracks in the garage, driveway, backyard, etc.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic
 
trailranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 946
Default

you need Ozite?

I may have some semi-used leftovers, a deal could be worked out. Bad news is that I don't know what I have till I get back home in May. Yeah I'm taking a long vacation down south in Houston.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 PM   #45
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
you need Ozite?

I may have some semi-used leftovers, a deal could be worked out. Bad news is that I don't know what I have till I get back home in May. Yeah I'm taking a long vacation down south in Houston.
Well, we'll see. I'm going to try and make these tiles work first. I'm not sure I could do used Ozite, the basement is finished so I may need to get some without traction compound on it to avoid the wrath of my wife. :-)
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
so many options source Australian Racing 17 02-26-2007 06:02 PM
415 With options HappyHippo R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 09-28-2005 01:57 PM
Practice rubber tires, practice 3000 batts, Novak smart tray, Orion Lap counter grazianos R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 2 03-26-2005 04:22 AM
1/8 rtr options cappa Oval, Larger Scales and More 0 01-10-2005 09:49 PM
ive got options donthaveaclue Electric Off-Road 0 11-27-2003 09:53 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:26 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net