R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Would this brushless system work well with the sinister or would it be to small.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB9594

Just a thought as it would cut out motor issues.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #32
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pug 205 gti View Post
Would this brushless system work well with the sinister or would it be to small.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodId=LOSB9594

Just a thought as it would cut out motor issues.
I think I read the motor pod isn't right? Brushless would be nice for sure. I'll PM you the stuff I grabbed. Supposedly the version I'm getting has all the updates released last month. We'll see.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Have you checked out your local Radio Shack? They have good deals on the wide RCP tracks for the Xmods.

Have you tried the xray m18? They are very close to 1/10 scale in regards to performance and handling.
zake540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oXYnary Send a message via Yahoo to oXYnary

Dnano's are another option that would take even less room. There is a lap counting system that is supposed to come out for them soon since they have built in transponders.

Here is a MiniZ RC Sim btw:

http://www.3drcracing.com/
oXYnary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #35
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by zake540 View Post
Have you checked out your local Radio Shack? They have good deals on the wide RCP tracks for the Xmods.

Have you tried the xray m18? They are very close to 1/10 scale in regards to performance and handling.
I haven't yet. I don't have a large area to work with though, only like 12'x25', so I'm not sure if a M18 would work out. I'd love to go with 1/18, though, especially with Novak's new Mongoose system.

The dNaNo looks cool, but man, they're tiny. I really want to use my own radio.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #36
Tech Regular

Hows the project coming on syn.

Has your tgr etc arrived yet??
Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #37
Tech Lord

Quote:
Hows the project coming on syn.

Has your tgr etc arrived yet??
So far, I'm deeply underwhelmed. The car is pretty cool, but the steering system is a giant hack, and doesn't work very well at all. I ended up breaking the steering assembly trying to make it work better, so a new one is on the way. The Spinner ESC runs great in reverse, but stumbles and struggles when it tries to run forward. Also, the front knuckles (new style) seem to be too low, and the chassis is touching the ground. I'm guessing I'll need to modify the spacers in there to get things right. To be honest, I'm really regretting my purchase at this point, and wish I would have gone with something with a bit more support, like a M18. I'm just worried those might be too large.

I see that CRC sells Ozite carpet in 6'x60' rolls, and could probably get one delivered for around $300. As my available track area is around 12'x30', this could be a very good option. I may look into creating a slow 1/18 car and making the lanes a little wider (and track shorter). We'll see how things go with the Sinister, but at this point, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody.

One interesting thing when considering layouts for practice is that you can reuse a lot of space if you're only running one car. I can extend turns onto a long straight and such. So, I might be able to get by with 1/18 and limited space. I wonder how wide my lanes need to be? Is 4' too narrow for a slow 1/18 car?
Old 03-31-2008, 12:18 PM   #38
Tech Regular

THAT sucks!!! I bet your really pissed off about that to say the least.

4ft track will be wide enough just try to make the quick turns slightly wider.
ukmicro rc has some videos on site of the indoor 1/18 scale racing, it is of road but it will give you an idea of whats required.
Have a look at this 1/14 scale, its a beauty http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SWK1460

The moongoose will pop in there too.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:43 PM   #39
Tech Lord

Quote:
THAT sucks!!! I bet your really pissed off about that to say the least.

4ft track will be wide enough just try to make the quick turns slightly wider.
ukmicro rc has some videos on site of the indoor 1/18 scale racing, it is of road but it will give you an idea of whats required.
Have a look at this 1/14 scale, its a beauty http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SWK1460

The moongoose will pop in there too.
Oh, I'm not pissed, but definitely disappointed so far. I haven't given up hope yet. Novak's Mongoose definitely caught my eye, though. I'd like to run a proper brushless system rather than some sensorless hack job.

I have to admit, Exotek's R18 conversion looks incredible.

http://www.exotekracing.com/EXOTEK_N...ONVERSION.html
Old 03-31-2008, 01:35 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Syndrome

What you want and I want are about the same thing. Something we can drive and not have too much outlay in setting up a track.

So this is what I am thinking:
Find a car that can be driven on a tennis court. Really you want it to be small enough to drive on just half of the court. Your drivers stand is the behind the NET

1:12 scales are just a little big, but it can be don't
1:24 are just a little too small but can be done.

Bring in the 1:18 cars, perfect. There are sedans, ovals and road course pan cars, The off-roadies can stay off-road. Need a track boards? Garden Hose! For corners, just head to Play-it-agian Sports and buy used lifting weights for $0.10 a pound. You can duct tape the hose to the 5lb weight when making sharp corners. Also you can fill the hose with water and cap the ends to extra weight to resist moving.
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 PM   #41
Tech Fanatic

Syndome,

I think the 1/14 recoil would be better than the EXOTEK conversion. Both are very similar in dimensions so, the scales are off. Hell even a 1:12 pan car is just a smidge longer but same width. Second, no need for a doner car for the conversion. Third, Just plane rocks ready to go for $199 and they can handle very large tracks too. I just saw one in action on a 80 x 180 asphalt track used for 1/8 cars. granted it looked small, but it was still clearly seen from the drivers stand.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #42
Tech Lord

1/18 may be the way to go, especially with a nice brushless system coming out. The trick is to keep the speed down, because they're often very fast. I'm wondering how 4 cell NiMH (yuck) would do with a 13.5 Mongoose. The cars, unfortunately, are mostly foam, but that seems to be changing. XRay are finally offering wheels on which to mount rubber tires for their M18 Pro. I'm not sure what the tire selection is like for that R18 conversion.

I was thinking of using PVC pipe insulation for "boards", but garden hose is probably a lot easier to deal with. As for a surface, real CRC Ozite isn't too ridiculously prices, and you can always use the rough side of the mats from getrung.com. RCP appears to be a lot more expensive than even Ozite. Imagine that.

I realize this isn't the mini section, but I think the idea of larger scale racers using small cars for wheel time is a good one. Especially as tracks seem to dry up. :-(

I'm thrilled I get to race the real car on the asphalt this weekend. At last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
Syndrome

What you want and I want are about the same thing. Something we can drive and not have too much outlay in setting up a track.

So this is what I am thinking:
Find a car that can be driven on a tennis court. Really you want it to be small enough to drive on just half of the court. Your drivers stand is the behind the NET

1:12 scales are just a little big, but it can be don't
1:24 are just a little too small but can be done.

Bring in the 1:18 cars, perfect. There are sedans, ovals and road course pan cars, The off-roadies can stay off-road. Need a track boards? Garden Hose! For corners, just head to Play-it-agian Sports and buy used lifting weights for $0.10 a pound. You can duct tape the hose to the 5lb weight when making sharp corners. Also you can fill the hose with water and cap the ends to extra weight to resist moving.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #43
Tech Lord

Quote:
Syndome,

I think the 1/14 recoil would be better than the EXOTEK conversion. Both are very similar in dimensions so, the scales are off. Hell even a 1:12 pan car is just a smidge longer but same width. Second, no need for a doner car for the conversion. Third, Just plane rocks ready to go for $199 and they can handle very large tracks too. I just saw one in action on a 80 x 180 asphalt track used for 1/8 cars. granted it looked small, but it was still clearly seen from the drivers stand.
1/14 recoil seems kind of big for a 12'x30' space though? I was kind of leaning more toward an M18 Pro, since it's smaller, might help give that sedan "feel," and will probably be a little slower than a pan. If I had a larger space, I'd be all over it, but the key for me is being able to practice at home. And for others that don't have basements, options for setting up tracks in the garage, driveway, backyard, etc.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

you need Ozite?

I may have some semi-used leftovers, a deal could be worked out. Bad news is that I don't know what I have till I get back home in May. Yeah I'm taking a long vacation down south in Houston.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 PM   #45
Tech Lord

Quote:
you need Ozite?

I may have some semi-used leftovers, a deal could be worked out. Bad news is that I don't know what I have till I get back home in May. Yeah I'm taking a long vacation down south in Houston.
Well, we'll see. I'm going to try and make these tiles work first. I'm not sure I could do used Ozite, the basement is finished so I may need to get some without traction compound on it to avoid the wrath of my wife. :-)