Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Winding your own Brushed Mod Motor >

Winding your own Brushed Mod Motor

Winding your own Brushed Mod Motor

Old 03-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Winding your own Brushed Mod Motor

Mod Rubber season is coming up soon, and i dont have nor want to spend the money on a Team Checkpoint 8T Mod Motor. So i was thinking about taking one of my Reedy 19T arms, and rewinding it to 8T instead of 19T? Is this possiable in the 540 motor world? I do ALOT of rewinding with 130 motors (XMODS, Mini-Zs, Slot Cars) but never tried it on a 540 motor? Is this even possiable? Whats some tips and tricks while doing this?
Any comments or suggestions on this would be great!
Thanks
SBS Motorsports
Old 03-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I can count the number of winders on one hand that did it well and reliable. If you try it, it wont last more than one pack.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)
Default Winding an armature

First off, it is not going to work well to start with a used armature blank. #1, the 19T spec motors have welded tabs and to get the wire off you would damage the tab and not be able to solder on the new wire. Also if it was drill balanced, you will be starting with an out of balance armature blank. Then you have to deal with getting the epoxy that held the original windings off the armature.

You won't be able to reuse the wire that is on there, so you will have to find a source of high-temp wire. After you get an unused blank (so it is not unbalanced to start and has undamaged tabs) and you wind it, you have to get high temp solder (regular solder will melt off and 8T motor) and then high temp epoxy. You are probably talking $75-100 to buy the epoxy. Then you have to get it balanced (Putnam can do that for $5/armature) plus shipping both ways.

You are not going to save money unless you already have the high-temp solder and high-temp epoxy for your slot car arms.

There is a guy on hobbytalk (not me) selling new arms for $20 plus shipping. Check them out. If you still want to try winding your own armamtures, PM me and I can fix you up with some armature blanks.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Contact team Br00d here on rctech. I used to work for them and they could easily wind you a arm that would be perfect for your needs. You could have them customize the arm from "mild to wild" anything you want. I agree with the previous posters that it would be nearly impossible for you to do it yourself and have it run well at all.

Steve
Old 03-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

There are somoe solutions to many of ths issues you'll face if you try to wind your own arm, the tabs won't break if you open them very carefully, and most towns will have an electronics shop that can get the high temp wire, or you can buy it online (but good luck getting it in small quantities). The balance thing is iffy, but if your aramture is drill balanced, start your wind on the undrilled segment and finish on the most drilled segment (most times, you'll put the least wire on the first segment you wrap, then the later segments are harder to be as "neat" with, because the wire that is in place on the previous segments makes it harder to get the wire tucked in on the later ones)

The epoxying and soldering issues are the toughest. I went without epoxy when I wound my own, as long as I kept the wraps tight I never had a wind sling off, but the soldering IS an issue. I never found a solder that would work with a soldering iron that would stay on... You'll find that's the biggest hurdle to winding your own. Even a mild wind will melt and sling the solder off.

There really isn't any economic advantage to rolling your own... If you don't want to go for a whole motor, you can buy an armature and stick it in your 19 turn setup, you might want to convert to standup brushes, or run laydowns narrowed to the same width as standups. Mods don't really care for laydown brushes.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

im gonna have to agree with everyone on here....

i wind some of our motors and it has taken more than a few years to get everything just right, gotta have the right wire, which is very epensive and very hard to find, plus its a ton of money and they wont sell a little....

second the soldering is tough, we have a welder which works great, and we have solder, the solder is tricky....there is only a couple that work and not alot of companys will give out that info

third the epoxy is KEY, ours is about 300 a gallon, and next to impossible to find, THEN on top of that you gotta bake just right for the right amount of time

couple years ago when when the voltage or batteries was lower the rpms of the motor wasnt as high as it is now....you could get away with it..

forgot bout balancing....thats a whole other story alltogether....if its not perfect it WILL self destruct......balancer is the most expensive thing in our shop an the most important