R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #31
Tech Master

true
I've just asked to RcMarket If they are selling the r1pro with latest software or not LOL
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #32
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Hey all,

Finally got out to do some testing with my R1 Pro.. I have to say that this setup is sick!! I had been using an LRP setup for my mod 4WD car and it was ok, but as soon as I started running the R1 Pro with the Redline 448 motor I was super impressed For the dirt, the Tekin speedo has a great start up that doesnt allow you to spin the wheels and then it just kicks in, making it easy to drive the tight corners, clear triples and run consistant laps etc...

I was able to run the fastest laps, TQ and finish 2nd (had a straightaway lead but messed the triple up once and finished 1 sec behind first) at our local track, which has some good competition!.. Everyone wanted to know what I was running because they were impressed with the speed I had on the straight and everywhere else, of course I told them it was Tekin!!.. I downloaded and setup the speedo with the new software update (178) and the speedo was super smooth and perfect for my driving style on the dirt.. I am really impressed.. cant wait to get to a big event... I also had to gear up by about 4 teeth compared to what everyone was running with their Novaks, but It was super fast

Keep up the awesome products Tekin, Once everyone gets a taste they will know what the secret is

Damon Converse
Old 04-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokemad View Post
true
I've just asked to RcMarket If they are selling the r1pro with latest software or not LOL
Yes updated last ver.
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #34
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
I think you are confused. --ANYONE-- can download the firmware to install. Doesnt matter if its HK or USA or anywhere else.

Anybody purchased the Hotwire PC Interface CAN Download the NEW Software, through Tekin Websight. DL software and upgrade your ESC. Firmware. Upgrade from V1.4 to V2.8 Software. you'll like the upgrade.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #35
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

This is my Speedo Setup for the R1 Pro running 2C lipo and Redline 448 Brushless in an Associated B44.

Drag Brake: 25
Brake Strength: 30
Current Limit: Off
Neutral Width: 40
Motor Type: BL-FW (Brushless Forward Only)
Throttle Profile: 3
Voltage Cutoff: 2 (2C LIPO)
Push Control: Off
Timing Advance: 55

Motor: Redline 448 geared 84/22

This is a great setup for 4WD Offroad!

Damon
Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #36
Team Tekin

With software version 178 that is a lot of timing. We opened the timing way up for the 17.5 and 21.5 motors so 55 is a ton more than it use to be.We really like to see about 10 to 20 on the sensorless motors with 12 being the best for overall efficiency on the bench. The slotless delta motors really like low timing to stay cooler and give all the torque.

Then again I know you like a lot of rip so if it is not making a lot of heat in the motor or speedo all is good. You might have more rip at lower timing and only slightly less top end.

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #37
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
With software version 178 that is a lot of timing. We opened the timing way up for the 17.5 and 21.5 motors so 55 is a ton more than it use to be.We really like to see about 10 to 20 on the sensorless motors with 12 being the best for overall efficiency on the bench. The slotless delta motors really like low timing to stay cooler and give all the torque.

Then again I know you like a lot of rip so if it is not making a lot of heat in the motor or speedo all is good. You might have more rip at lower timing and only slightly less top end.

Tekin Prez
If R1 updated 178 can downgrade ?
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #38
Tech Master

You will need to install the old version of the hotwire as the new one isn't compatible with the older firmwares.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #39
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

No you can't go backwards in the software of the esc. The new software 178 is by far the best yet. There are a lot of subtle changes and big changes where they were needed.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 PM   #40
Tech Addict

I tested the 178 software during the weekend.
Timing has improved motor power a lot! I drive a normal R1 in my 1/12th 4 cell with a 9.5, I first tried setting timing to max. With this setting the motor had a lot of start problems (I mean, not starting, just making scary noises).
Then went to the Tekin predefined setup, power was good and starts were good 4/5 times.

Later on I could test the R1 pro on an outside track in a Pro10, using an 9T Delta and orion 3600 Lipo.
Power and speed were insane, didnt manage to get to topspeed during the weekend! Timed down to 10 and Current limiter to 47 just to keep the car driveable.
And then I saw the quality that is Tekin, I had some shutdown problems were the esc indicated no receiver signal. Suddenly all lights stopped, no power to the receiver. Checked, ESC was OK. Opened up the receiver, loose solder managed to get itself between the + and - of the receiver!
Try doing that to a LRP or Novak, in my experience its game over for those!

Last edited by Quante; 05-05-2008 at 04:18 AM.
Quante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #41
Team Tekin

Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

Yeah loose solder is scary. I had a small piece in one of my DSM receivers and the esc was good! A lot of esc's flame out this way. Taken out by a failing servo or receiver. Stab a new one in and watch it flame out too..

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #42
Team Tekin

Software Version 179 for the R1 is now released. We still like people to use low timing in most cases, but when using high timing it does not effect the starts now. We saw this issue as well when running timing at 100 with the 21.5 motors.

Wait to download the Hotwire update until later in the week. We found an error on the timing suggestions when you right click the slider bar that we need to fix. We are also adding some new sliders for the B1 and FX units to give you neutral width and seperate control of brakes strength and reverse strength in reversing models.

Some have seen errors when connecting the hotwire after loading 179. Please do a factory reset on the unit and it goes away. We will clean that up as well.

Bad solder joints or conncections are the number one cause of problems in sensorless systems. Pretty easy to have a cold solder joint that looks good, but is not really flowed well and changes with heat.

Tekin Prez
Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #43
Tech Adept

Went to hookup the R1 Pro to my Novak 17.5 and no sensor inputs . . .

It will work but not very well? What does this mean to a noob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCristo View Post
It doesn't work well enough to race with my Novak 10.5, so my guess is it won't run the 13.5 and 17.5 either.
boscoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #44
Team Tekin

It will run the 17.5 motor very well, but you might see some small hesitations on some starts in TC with tall gearing. The newest software is pretty good but I have to admit the 17.5 motor needs a RS sensored esc to be Amain perfect everytime and launch hard.

Tekin Prez
Old 05-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Running 1/12th scale if that matters . . . I mean I have it but why bother putting it on a brushed motor when I have the smaller/lighter FX that is working fine . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
It will run the 17.5 motor very well, but you might see some small hesitations on some starts in TC with tall gearing. The newest software is pretty good but I have to admit the 17.5 motor needs a RS sensored esc to be Amain perfect everytime and launch hard.

Tekin Prez
boscoj is offline   Reply With Quote