R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #196
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'd be curious to know why Mr. Hacker opted against a removable sensor harness, and also against solder tabs instead of holes. He's pretty clearly the best brushless motor designer around, so I'm guessing he made these decisions for a reason.

I know Novak has said there's a chance the sensor harness could come unplugged, but many races and championships have been won with motors where the harness can be removed, so clearly it's a viable option at least.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 AM   #197
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I'd be curious to know why Mr. Hacker opted against a removable sensor harness, and also against solder tabs instead of holes. He's pretty clearly the best brushless motor designer around, so I'm guessing he made these decisions for a reason.

I know Novak has said there's a chance the sensor harness could come unplugged, but many races and championships have been won with motors where the harness can be removed, so clearly it's a viable option at least.
Dude, I'm with you on this one! I have been wanting to try a Hacker 17.5. But the harness issue is annoying. I may still try one because Hacker has been tops in brushless for a while.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #198
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What is being monitored in the sensor harness? Why is it that some run with and some without?
Zagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #199
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagar View Post
What is being monitored in the sensor harness? Why is it that some run with and some without?
rotor position

check out info here http://www.kendickerson.com/tech_inf...ensorless.html
Losi 8T
Kyosho RB5
http://www.kolorsbykropy.net
nemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #200
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Temperature and rotor position.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #201
Tech Adept

Great link nemix! Thank you!! That really explains it well.

Edit: So let me ask this: What is the preferrred ESC to use with the Hacker motors? I am partial to Novak, only because I've used them a good deal. Also, does Hacker make a 21.5 and if not, is one in the works? Thinking of one for the TA racing, but I need a 21.5 to use with LiPo.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #202
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've been using the hacker 13.5 and 17.5 with an lrp sphere comp 2007 (non-tc). Everyone local to me has settled on lrp speedo's and hacker motors. It's a great combo.
JoelV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #203
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
The use of purple shows an immediate and definitive lack of style. :-) But, I can find ways around that. It's the fixed sensor harness that's kept me from buying one. Long wires everywhere are fail.
Touché!
Thanks for the backup orbital and syndrome, I knew I wasn't alone in that line of thinking. I agree with you 100% about the sensor harness as well. I didn't find that out until after I bought the motor. Very disappointing. Now I know why every picture you see of the Hacker is from the opposite side.
jla8874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #204
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'm currently running my Speed Passion 13.5's @ 5.2-5.4 FDR w/ rubber on medium-sized/ med.-bite carpet. I just got my Hacker motors and wanted to know is this a pretty close FDR to start with?

The attached sensor harness is pretty FUGLY but if the motors perform as rumored, I couldn't care less.
I run for Schuie, so the black & purple is welcomed

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #205
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I'm currently running my Speed Passion 13.5's @ 5.2-5.4 FDR w/ rubber on medium-sized/ med.-bite carpet. I just got my Hacker motors and wanted to know is this a pretty close FDR to start with?

The attached sensor harness is pretty FUGLY but if the motors perform as rumored, I couldn't care less.
I run for Schuie, so the black & purple is welcomed
Hi JB
My understanding that the Hacker motor like to be geared up two teeth compare the Novak....

temp seems to be the best way i like to keep my motor between 165 and 180 degrees this according from ERTRACHTER

AE 12R5.1,Tekin RS PRO
17.5 super stock T.O.P PHOTON , TAMIYA M05 Mini
CEFX.. High Velocity Racing Motor
Goingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #206
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to kyle478

Quote:
Originally Posted by jla8874 View Post
Touché!
Thanks for the backup orbital and syndrome, I knew I wasn't alone in that line of thinking. I agree with you 100% about the sensor harness as well. I didn't find that out until after I bought the motor. Very disappointing. Now I know why every picture you see of the Hacker is from the opposite side.
Hacker Brushless motors has a reputation of being the best performing motor in the industry. Hacker has over 300 different motors, different sizes, series, and winds. Every one of these motors is purple in color which is intended to be a royal color. It is very possible we might do accessories in the future but at this point in time we are concentrating on being the best performing motor.
The pictures you have seen did not come from us and we never had the intention to fool our customers into thinking it had a removable sensor cable.
When this motor was initially created we kept in mind we did not want to have sensor cables coming unplugged while running. We have used sensored motors in airplanes before and have had huge problems with sensors coming unplugged. These planes we are flying tend to cost around $10,000 so a sensor coming unplugged could really be expensive. Now I also understand were not dealing with huge planes and $10,000 in equipment but we still want to keep the sensor problems to a minimum. We have also taken into consideration the suggestions of everyone on this fourm and it seems to be that most want a removable sensor plug. I imagine we will take this into consideration when creating our next motor.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #207
Tech Adept

kyle, does Hacker make a 21.5?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #208
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:

I asked this in the first few pages, he said the same thing novak did, might come un plugged, I have never had that happen, but either way its a good motor

I have ran XL, and L can hackers in other cars and there nice!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 PM   #209
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Great response Kyle. Sorry for implying it was Hacker that took the pictures. One was from Stormer obviously, and the other one right here was from Petit-RC. Nice to hear you're taking customer feedback in to consideration though.
jla8874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #210
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to kyle478

Quote:
kyle, does Hacker make a 21.5?
At the moment we do not make a 21.5T motor. I have had a few people ask about this and we will try to make one in the near future.