R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-18-2008, 05:21 AM   #46
Tech Fanatic

Just throwing this out there, but these are the main things I see as to the differences between the growing TA class and this GT series (the thread title is misleading btw):
  • GT series would be 2WD using 1/10th scale pan cars
  • GT series would use modern GT car bodies or classic GT/Can-Am bodies

Why not do this for the chassis:
Any pan car chassis (opens it up to new cars or older cars so people can dust off their old cars or find bargains online)

Then at first do the classes like this:
One single class using modern or classic GT/LMP/Can Am racer bodies with the same motors as the TA cars, and a weight minimum close to the TA car weight. This allows the cars to run at the same time as touring cars or even the TA cars - the cars will be roughly the same size, and the performance comparison will be close to full-size racing, with the GT cars maybe faster (in the right hands) than TC and TA cars. (or do whatever weight minimum/motor combo to make the performance close to the TA cars, if that's what you prefer)

Then as/if the numbers grow, and for a bit of realism, split up the classes like this:
  • GT class cars would be production-based cars lik JGTC, GT1, GT2, etc., still with the same motors and minimum weight as above.
  • LMP/Can Am class cars would be prototype cars and all the fast high-zoot stuff everyone likes, for the guys who want to go faster Either use a mod motor with the same weight minimum or bit more powerful motor with a lower weight limit to make the performance difference similar to the difference in full-size racing.

This lets you run the cars in the same races as the TA guys (as long as everyone gets along on the track they shouldn't mind, and race directors usually allow a class with 4 or 5 cars to run its own race anyway) until you get the numbers to split up the classes or make things more complicated. Whatchathink?
Old 03-18-2008, 06:26 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Frank from one of the other threads about pan cars and TC cars using T/A bodies.The florida state series was already doing it with pan cars and Touring cars using the same bodies racing together. TC using 13.5 motor and a fixed gear ratio and the pan cars with 13.5 and 4 cells.
You can always run them together and score them seperate.I can't see any club running away racers.
WGT-R, GT-12 Racing USA (21.5 ), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:15 AM   #48
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham1972 View Post
Yep My dad just said the same thing about the cars and the track.
I asked him how he knew it was at Elkhart Lake Wi, He said he has been there and these are the cars of his day and age, he races with us and he would love to see these Bodies came back. He also said we have a 917 body around here somewhere, I hope he finds it I for one know just who to send it to and get a mold done of it.

But he will see if he can find it.
this guy in "Zealand is molding old school 1/8 can-am cars..and Greenwood Corvettes ..i just ordered Porsche 917s for my RC250 and RC500...... have a look http://www.historicrc.com/RC_car_bodies.htm
Taylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
This is turning out to be another one of those threads covering the same things. If someone want to run a TA body on the pan car and enough of them showup run them.This is the cart before the horse. Get the cars and show up. They are going to turn away people that want to race- it's money in their pockets?

Im pretty sure nobody is looking to turn anyone away BF. The interest is obviously there for these cars, its just that the demand isnt there to meet the supply. My thing is I want to see the 200mm pan cars establish their own identity apart from VTA but be something that can readily partner with VTA at tracks. What Cunningham is trying to do is create a solid base from which to work. VTA has a defined rule for what chassis are allowed (4wd touring chassis), nothing says there cant be a foundation ready to go for this as well.

I think IGT is a good concept, and one that people can get behind, myself included.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Guys on the West Coast - shouldn't worry too much about what guys on the East Coast are doing...

For the most part - we have different types of tracks - different weather - different desires and different wants.

The VTA is awesome - A) because the idea behind it was to resurrect OLD TC's

B) It was aimed at "FUN"

The problem with both of those are - if it gets popular - guys will try to RUIN it by outgunning the other guy with NEW cars (vs. Old Cars) and they will race it to WIN at ALL COST (instead of to have a good time)

What EVER you guys decide to try to do with the Pan Cars - make sure it's a body that HANDLES.

We've done Vintage T/A type bodies in the past - along with more current T/A bodies...they were awesome and a lot of run.

We also did a PORSCHE ONLY body class with NO wings, just a porsche 911 body. (IT SUCKED) cause the cars were very, very hard to drive.

One of my favorite years of racing was over a dozen years ago, when we ran a combined OVAL and ROAD COURSE series using the Mustang, Cuda, Nova, Chevelle type bodies... All with 'vintage' paint schemes.

I hope the TC VTA catches on Nationally - and guys Don't SCREW it UP.

As for the NEW Generation 200mm Pan Cars - I don't personally think it's going to FLY - but I 100% hope I'm wrong... (I love pan cars)
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #51
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
The VTA is awesome - A) because the idea behind it was to resurrect OLD TC's

B) It was aimed at "FUN"

The problem with both of those are - if it gets popular - guys will try to RUIN it by outgunning the other guy with NEW cars (vs. Old Cars) and they will race it to WIN at ALL COST (instead of to have a good time) ....

I hope the TC VTA catches on Nationally - and guys Don't SCREW it UP.
Last weekend at our track the winner drove a HPI pro4 to victory over a Tamiya 415 and a Corally PHI. The tires, bodies and 4 cells do a lot to even things out, chassis wise.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #52
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorm View Post
this guy in "Zealand is molding old school 1/8 can-am cars..and Greenwood Corvettes ..i just ordered Porsche 917s for my RC250 and RC500...... have a look http://www.historicrc.com/RC_car_bodies.htm

Sweet lookin Bodies I must say I will send him off an email and see what we can have made for 200mm Pan Cars
Cunningham1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:

GT40 Class or no Ferrari 330P Bodies out there and or Prosche Carrera 6 or what would be the 906 Bodies from that era.

I have a 200mm GT40, 330 P4, Skyline 2000GTR (71-72 era), and pretty sure a 906 body around here somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Do We Need a Pan Car Trans Am Series?-330-p4.jpg  
Ed Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:56 PM   #54
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Anderson View Post
I have a 200mm GT40, 330 P4, Skyline 2000GTR (71-72 era), and pretty sure a 906 body around here somewhere.
Where did you get them how much do you want for them
Old 03-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #55
Tech Apprentice

That looks sweet Ed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Kyosho
Old 03-18-2008, 09:18 PM   #56
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

+1 Killer shell
Old 03-19-2008, 07:23 PM   #57
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Cunningham, do you have all this stuff that you are planning for written down? Is this something youre going to experiment with at a track near you? Are these rules universal to indoor and outdoor tracks? (because I know it was mentioned about having LiPo for outdoors since the cars would have greater room to stretch their legs and LiPo would be good for that. I figured Id ask that since most guys are going to be hitting the asphalt now that the carpet nationals are in the books).
Old 03-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #58
Tech Apprentice

Well I have not tested the X10 with lipos just yet, I have tested numerus cells and motors Brushed and Brushless We have on order a CRC GENX 200mm car and we will be going after the BMI and others, to test with as well, We run on carpet here in the back of our warehouse, there are a total of 8 of us.

When the other cars come out we will test outdoors, but we first want to see what the others can do next to the X10!

C.C.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Sounds fair bro. Hopefully that will be fruitful for you. What would be really great would be if we could have like an IRC channel where we could talk about stuff that was found out in testing and other stuff that would be helpful to the class. (heck Id even go for an AIM chat)

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 03-20-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
There was a Can Am Series if I remember well Dad said there was a Can Am Series Back then.

Can Am ???
Isn't CanAm the "PC" phrase for those Uber northerners who move to the US?
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote