R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-14-2008, 10:12 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

As a dealer that sells online, I feel like we can offer two good tips to online customers:

1) If the store accepts PayPal, use it!
Most online shops accept PayPal these days, and you don't even have to have an account to use it when it is integrated with the shop (just click "I don't have an account" and enter your cc info there). While PayPal has certainly had a couple of its own security issues in the past, I think most would agree that consistently revealing your billing information only to a single credible outside source is preferable to revealing your info to each store you buy from.

2) Avoid entering your cc info online when using public wifi.
I am no expert on this, but if you read some warnings online, you'll quickly realize that if a hacker knows what he/she is doing, they can steal your identity while you are ordering at starbucks!

I am not completely sure, but I believe it is against the law (in the USA) for shops to store the customer credit card info in an online admin for long periods. We ourselves purge the CVV codes right after processing each transaction, and we purge the credit card info every couple of days.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:46 AM   #17
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus Racing View Post
I am not completely sure, but I believe it is against the law (in the USA) for shops to store the customer credit card info in an online admin for long periods. We ourselves purge the CVV codes right after processing each transaction, and we purge the credit card info every couple of days.
It is not illegal but I believe there are strict requirements to doing this, otherwise the card companies (visa, etc.) can refuse to do business with you and your merchant provider will pull the plug. However it is also somewhat difficult for them to prove that you are doing this so it is more of an idealistic rule/law.

Most point of sale systems will print the full card number and expiration date right on the merchant receipt, which is arguably an even worse place to put things, since they are so easily misplaced or stolen. This is part of what CVV codes were introduced, to add a "missing link" bit that is not printed on those hard-captured receipts.

Ultimately it is up to the merchant to make sure they are treating the customers' credit information in the sensitive manner it deserves.