R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2008, 05:12 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Back for more.

Hi guys.

I was racing pretty hard core for about 6 years. The last car I had was a TC3FT. Got out of it before the TC4 hit the market. Well, Im back into it and picked up an Xray T2,007. I am gonna hit the track with it for the first time tonight at practice and the race is friday.

What I am looking for is a good setup for rubber (24's) on med grip carpet. 72'x36' track thats pretty tech.

I have a 13.5 in there now and will move to the 10.5 when I get comfy with the car. Am running round cells for now but may move to lipo in the near future.

So what bodies are working now days??? Mazda 6 looks good but I dont know how these new bodies work.

Oh, one thing....Its the foam car. I allready pulled all the posts and all but 4 screws from the top deck. Other than that it is setup to the book.

Any thing else I should know about the new stuff to bring me upto speed? Just starting to get a handle on these brushless motors in cars.

Thanks for any help.
DK
PartTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Try the Xray site. http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/m_i...c109f5296c3ind plenty of setups here.
Applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

DK,
Did you say it was a rubber set-up on the US edition car (foam car)
and another thing if you look around Protoform you will find the DNA 1 and 2 for electric racing there are guys at my track that say they will never buy another body than the DNA body
ijump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTime View Post

Oh, one thing....Its the foam car. I allready pulled all the posts and all but 4 screws from the top deck. Other than that it is setup to the book.

Thanks for any help.
DK
If I have read this right you have removed chassis posts and want to use it as a rubber shod car?

Personally, if you have the choice I would put the chassis posts back in and race the car with foams. It should make the setup work a lot easier for you.

Typically you need a stiffer chassis to get the cars left and right transitioning quicker. (the foams and additive will do the work, the chassis needs to be sharp and responsive, not flexing if you decide to run the foams instead).

Just thowing in a suggestion, if you cant race foams, just ignore me

I guess it all depends on your driving style ultimately though

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
Tech Master

applesauce...that was the first place I looked. way too many to weed threw and find somthing I could use.

ijump....dna body? I will look into it. Yes its a us spec (foam car) that is setup for rubber (now). I got a good deal on the car.

tc3team... ya we have a foam class but, i dont really feel like always messing with the car (ride height and drop) and always buying foams. I was told the new rubber are lasting way longer. They would last about the same when I was racing before, yes I use to run foam.

Just got back from the track. The car is drivable and pretty smooth. Not nearly as hard to setup as the car would leave you to believe (tons of adjustments), i think the hardest part is the new brushless motors. Still a bit soft and dragging the chasis on the high speed sections but all in all, it was pretty easy to get close. just have that last 10% left and then its all up to me. LOL.

thanks for the repleys guys.
DK
Old 03-14-2008, 06:28 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Sounds like you need to go up a spring rate or two up front, that should stop the front end hooking too much, if its still too aggressive, remove any front toe out, or look at changing the rear toe then the car shouldnt rotate so quick on the infield

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
Tech Master

Honestly, I was looking for more steering.

Just got back from my first race in forever. Car was good the first round. TQ was 28 5.05.2nd was 5.06 and I was 5.08. Everybody else was 27 laps and down. The goove came up on every run and my car tighten up with it. No matter what I did to the car. I did get the chasis to stay off the ground though. It was clean coming of the 3rd round. Still might stiffen up the front a touch. Just hate to, seeing how it will kill more steering.

I have a high roll center all the way around. Maybe run a lower front roll center and add spring to calm it down?

Some how my tweak got way out of wack. Dont under stand that but, for a car to be that far out and me not really able to pick up why it feels soooo bad is pretty good. My old TC3 would be a 1/2 off on tweak and I couldnt drive it. LOL.

DK
Old 03-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
Tech Master

Well, if anybody is interested, I got it dialed in and was running right behind TQ all fri night. Not bad for not doing any racing in years. Car got 100% better when I put the stratus 3.0 on. Very easy to drive after that.

Wouldnt mind some more on-power steering though. Thinking about a one way but, have to wait and see.

DK
Old 03-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

For more on power steering take away some front droop. It keeps the front from lifting as much when you get on the power, less front end lift = more steering.

If you haven't been there, have a look at elvo's website http://users.pandora.be/elvo/ GREAT source of info on handling and chassis tuning... (THANKS elvo!)
Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 AM   #10
Tech Master

Thanks for the input. I already took all the droop out of the front that i can.

I did put a one way in the car and its better but, Need to put my 10.5 back in to really test it.

DK
Old 04-14-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trips....thanks for the site. I learned most of that when I was in rc racing the first time. Good stuff there and all on one link. I book marked it.

Well, I did manage to get the xray dialed in. All the fast 13.5 guys went to a big race last fri so I just put a stock brushed motor in and played with the stock group. What a blast. 5 mins after winning the a main I stripped the electronics out and traded it for a TC5.

DK