R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (91%+)

Todd, I think you're onto something with the hot trophy girls idea! But serisously, we need to figure something out. I'm really into 1/12th and racing in general. If there is anything we can do to get the class up and running again, I'm up for it. I'm at the point now that I'm going to order an EP sedan.

Chris, how's it going bud? Looks like the onroad might come back down there!

Canyon
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to bigmac567

I started out racing in a silver can novice class, but it was with 1/10th scale pan cars, Everyone had pretty much the same car, and the same motor. I forced you to learn a more refined driving style, and how to tweak your car to make it handle better. I recently made the switch to 1/12th scale and the first time I drove my car I was only about a second of the fast guys. I feel that the novice class helped me a great deal, and made driving a more advanced car a lot easier.
bigmac567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So many good thoughts shared here.

There is a latent crowd of 1/12th scalers in the Seattle area, but for various reasons they don't consistently show. So rather than torturing the issue, I think it may be better to just grow the class out of the newer racers who are showing up at SIR. We have a great novice class at our track that grew out of the Tamiya allegiance from way back. Silver can sedans are the ticket here. When someone new walks in the door and says "I want to race," we have the exact short and sweet answer: GT3. There is a $400 package of TA05, lipo, charger, and electronics on the counter and they're in business. In tandem with our Silver Can Saturday, it really has begun to attract new racers, as well as resurrecting a few old hands.

It's when the hook sets and those drivers want to progress...that's who I want to reach. There's a young guy who won the Spec GT3 series this last time through and he's jonesing to move up. I've seen him strapping in a borrowed stock motor and practicing, which is great, but I want to catch him before he spends his allowance and birthday money on a 13.5 setup. He wants to be a racer, I do too, and that's the inflection point that should be exploited. There are others who will want to take the next step also, and soon. But rather than the big bucks and broken hearts in fast sedans, we should choose the 1/12th scale Jedi route of simplicity and fundamentals. When is perfection attained young master? Not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Yes...but. If the car becomes a bench queen for want of others' participation, it's just wasted money. Which sucks whether it's $250 or $1000. There are guys who have gotten burned on 1/12th scale before, and I can't blame them for their skepticism now.
PutAwayWet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:53 AM   #19
Tech Initiate

I know in the past, CRC raceway has offered workshops on 12th scale. Also, the staff is great at offering technical support to the customers. The price is also kept reasonable, $10 and no charge for practicing. At the end of the season there are awards for attendance as well as performance and some kind of banquet, historically a pizza party.
Mrs. CRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. CRC View Post
I know in the past, CRC raceway has offered workshops on 12th scale. Also, the staff is great at offering technical support to the customers. The price is also kept reasonable, $10 and no charge for practicing. At the end of the season there are awards for attendance as well as performance and some kind of banquet, historically a pizza party.
Yeah, but it's almost like cheating at CRC! You guys are the center of the 12th scale carpet universe!!
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote