R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Need something for parking lot this summer at the local HTU...

I am mostly an off-road guy, but I want to try touring again. (Its been years, had a TC3 when they first came out). Seems like everyone runs TC5's or Xray's but I am not looking to spend that much. Anyways, its the only local racing in the area, so I thought about getting something to run. I am not going to spend the coin on it for a TC5 or similar, so what do you guys think? As for parts support, they don't stock much for on-road 1/10th cars so thats not a deciding factor. (Mostly a monster truck area) I am leaning towards the Kyosho RTR ($250 with a lipo pack) or maybe a Tamiya. I like to be different.

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...id=120&id=7396

Last edited by rm25x; 03-13-2008 at 06:01 AM. Reason: I was a little harsh on HTU.
rm25x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Excellent! I live in the Goodrich area and I too am looking to race again. I used to race Off Road 20 years ago, but there isn't a track to be had anywhere, so I was thinking of going over there as well and picking up a car to race.

Have you been to any of the races they have held? I only moved back to the area a couple of years ago, and just discovered that they raced in the parking lot.
Zagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Tech Addict

i would get the cyclone rtr towerhobbies has all the part u are going to need
iceman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:56 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagar View Post
Excellent! I live in the Goodrich area and I too am looking to race again. I used to race Off Road 20 years ago, but there isn't a track to be had anywhere, so I was thinking of going over there as well and picking up a car to race.

Have you been to any of the races they have held? I only moved back to the area a couple of years ago, and just discovered that they raced in the parking lot.
Yeah I have been to several of the races. Its not that bad, if you plan on just going to have fun for the day. Hard to expect any hard core racing there.

The Cyclone is another I was checking out.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I just picked up a Cyclone S from SpeedTech for $125. I'm using it in our Vintage Trans Am series. It's a pretty capable car for what it is. You should look into VTA for your outdoor series. We're gonna blacktop race VTA starting in a month or so. The hype seems real.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default XXXs may be te thing

Race potential? Sounds you think you are a very good driver. not sure electric or nitro but give this chassis some consideration. The new driftspec xxxs with brushless power. no motor work, and a car that can be tuned enough to race with anybody. The car may be a little fragile for banging around but skill like yours should be able to handle it.
todd8603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #7

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get a Cyclone S.

Put the bug in people's ear about Trans-Am racing around there, it's the perfect HTU class. Cheap, easy, and fun.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the info.

I had a XXX-S when they first came out, man I hated that car.

Is there somewhere that has more info on the trans am racing you guys are talking about? I can pass it on.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM   #9

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Check the for sale forums, in many instances you can pick up a decent used car that's well equipped in the price range your looking in. TAO5's, Pro 4's, TC4's, all work very well. A good friend of mine is running an old X-Ray T1, parts are still pretty easy to get for it and he picked it up for next to nothing.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:39 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

I posted on the LHS board about the trans am racing, I really like that idea.

I have been looking at used stuff, but I have been burned a few times that way with total piles coming in the mail, when the seller says its in good condition. Not a bad way to go if you know the person though.

The cyclone S is looking better and better.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

Last summer was our best year for electric touring and rest asured you will find plenty of serious racers. But with every group of racers you will find at least one hack. You just got to know how to get around them and dont give them a chance to get you. I have been thinking about a Trans-Am class and it would be easy to do we just have to get the racers to buy into it. As far as the clown comment I think I know who you are talking about.
Dave Tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
Tech Adept

You're in the Grand Blanc area as well Dave Tester?
Zagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:17 AM   #14
Tech Rookie

Yes I am you can contact the store anytime for info at 810-695-9088
Dave Tester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Tester View Post
Last summer was our best year for electric touring and rest asured you will find plenty of serious racers. But with every group of racers you will find at least one hack. You just got to know how to get around them and dont give them a chance to get you. I have been thinking about a Trans-Am class and it would be easy to do we just have to get the racers to buy into it. As far as the clown comment I think I know who you are talking about.
Haha hey Dave.
For the clown comment, yeah think N.H... lmao.

To be fair, I didn't race at all up there last year, and raced 1/18th scale the year before.