Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your CC Statements

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Check Your CC Statements

I have a credit card that I use almost exclusively for online transactions, nearly 100% of which are to various R/C shops. Back in December, I noticed a charge (and shipping!) of some weird vitamins (for women, heh) that I never ordered, nor had I ever heard of. My credit card company was quick to reverse the charges, and I immediately had an entirely new card & number issued. The company had been tied to MANY complaints of bogus charges.

Tonight, while perusing my CC bill, I noticed another unknown charge, and a few minutes with Google has made it apparent it's another fraudulent charge, even more nefarious as the last. This one doesn't even appear to be tied to a legitimate business.

I'm not positive, but I'm beginning to wonder if one of the online R/C shops I frequent has been somehow compromised, and someone is skimming information out of them. This is just a hunch, but I figured I would put it out there in case other people have been experiencing something similar. The first incident was from a 12inOne vitamin company, and this latest incident is from something called SCI*STAMPS.COM. If anybody else has had similar problems, perhaps we can compare notes (privately) and try to determine what shop is the culprit. I would prefer not to name any of them publicly, but rather notify them privately of the possible trouble so they can resolve the issue. If they do indeed find a problem, it will be up to them to decide if and how they report it.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You know you buy a lot of stuff when...
Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by adamge
You know you buy a lot of stuff when...
An XRay guy? Teasing ME for how much stuff I buy? Oh, that's rich... :-D

You know, Adam, sometimes I think you're out to get me. :-)
Old 03-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Tech Master

I'm a dedicated practitioner of buying less than I want to. It's a lesson from when I quit RC flying and had a depressing amount of stuff left over. Most of it hadn't been used in years. Want to buy a Webra Speed 40?

I still have hope for you, in this subject and others: Xray, Windows, carpet-foam...

On your advice, and on topic, I have just checked my CC statement.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (93%+)

See what happens when you dont support your local hobby shops/tracks
Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wallstreet
See what happens when you dont support your local hobby shops/tracks
I knew that was coming. I agree you should support the LHS as best you can, but...

Our track is 100% club supported. :-)

But yea, if there's a permanent facility, and they stock or can get the things you want in a reasonable manner, that's the way to go. I found that wasn't often the case for me.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by adamge
I'm a dedicated practitioner of buying less than I want to. It's a lesson from when I quit RC flying and had a depressing amount of stuff left over. Most of it hadn't been used in years. Want to buy a Webra Speed 40?

I still have hope for you, in this subject and others: Xray, Windows, carpet-foam...

On your advice, and on topic, I have just checked my CC statement.
Oh man, you had me until you mentioned "windows!"

I was SO very close to getting an 008.

As for spending, buying a house recently has put a definitive end to my wanton spending. I've become very frugal as of late.

Anyway, thanks guys. If someone sees something odd, PM me. Maybe we can work together and figure out if there's a "leak" in the R/C shops somewhere.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:40 AM
R/C Tech Founder

I'd be surprised if any of the "smaller" RC outfits (like us) are storing credit information on file. I know it's a pain for people to enter their CC info time and again, but this can sometimes be the tradeoff for that convenience. I tend to trust places like Amazon who I know have the highest end tech as far as data storage and encryption, but as a merchant I didn't even want to mess with that. So when I built the site, we store the last four digits just so we can match any claims, and that's it.

Hopefully others are doing the same.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Sounds more like you have a virus or keylogger on your computer that is sending private information to other people. People who you probably don't want to have the information. I recommend you start with a full virus/keylogger/spyware scan, then start looking at the online stores.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Wait a second........thats not my Swedish penis enlarger.

I do feel sorry for you though, nothing more annoying than CC fraud, hopefully we don't see you in the next comercial as a singing bus boy.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by TimV
Sounds more like you have a virus or keylogger on your computer that is sending private information to other people. People who you probably don't want to have the information. I recommend you start with a full virus/keylogger/spyware scan, then start looking at the online stores.
While I won't discount that as a possibility, there are a number of things that make it unlikely. For one, I use a Mac, so while not immune, those types of things are nearly unheard of in the Mac world. I also monitor all my egress traffic for unusual connections or evil intent, and have seen no indication of such a thing. Also, I send all my web traffic through an encrypted tunnel, making it very difficult to "sniff." I'm careful not to send personal information on untrusted machines or networks, though tunneling makes untrusted networks a bit less scary.

Anyway, this was just a hunch. If nobody else has experienced such a thing, I'll look elsewhere for the trouble.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I do feel sorry for you though, nothing more annoying than CC fraud, hopefully we don't see you in the next comercial as a singing bus boy.
Haha, hopefully not! The CC companies are usually very responsive. It's been two minor things intended to slip under the radar, thankfully nothing more involved.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:35 PM
Tech Lord

After a grueling day on the phone with the CC company, it appears this second charge was related to the first incident, and doesn't seem to be a second isolated case. So, I think maybe this whole thing was a false alarm. My apologies for ever creating the thread. If a mod could hide or lock it up, that would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Yes, you may be running a Mac, but if you have a newer one, which you probably do, then it's Intel based, and thus slightly more suceptible to intrusion. JSYK.

Glad that it's a semi related incident though! That makes it somewhat better!!
Old 03-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zagar
Yes, you may be running a Mac, but if you have a newer one, which you probably do, then it's Intel based, and thus slightly more suceptible to intrusion. JSYK.
The processor has nothing to do with a leaky operating system.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.