R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default brushless dumb question

just had a couple of question that someone should be able to help with....first, i know that you can use different brand sensored motors with different esc but are all the sensor wires the same style plug(i.e. LRP, Novak, Speedpassion,GM,ect...) and who seems to have the best factory support.. couple buggies have novak,1 is extremely happy but the other is not happy at all with novak (because of the tech support)..just le me know what your opinions are so i can make an informed decision about what brand im gonna buy...and one more thing, it need to be easy to program, internal or external programming does not matter to me
Thaanks in advance
Mike W.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Novak GTB, LRP Sphere, and Speedpassion GT seem to be the top 3 choices among racers. Everyone will have a different opinion on which of the 3. I would say LRP and Speedpassion seem to be the faster ones. Speedpassion and Novak have excellent customer service.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well like he siad everyone has there one they like better then the other I have bot lrp and novak ,, I like the novak better but I think it is really what you get use to useing
eflite300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

All of the ESC's and motors you mentioned have the same sensor plug, except for GM. I believe the GM ESC uses a different style plug (not sure on the motors), but adapters are available.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I also have a 'dumb' question about brushless motors... why can't I use a brushed speed control with a 'non-sensored' brushless motor? Doesn't the motor work off of the same principle as a brushed only the magnets rotate? Feel free to make me feel stupid with you responses.
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #6
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrtv20 View Post
I also have a 'dumb' question about brushless motors... why can't I use a brushed speed control with a 'non-sensored' brushless motor? Doesn't the motor work off of the same principle as a brushed only the magnets rotate? Feel free to make me feel stupid with you responses.
In a brushless setup the esc does the switching as the motor spins, that the brushes and commutator used to do. I'm not sure, but I suspect your combo would move the motor to one position and hold it there. But it wouldn't keep turning, that takes switching of some type.

You're right as far as whether the magnets or coils are spinning, theoretically it can be either way with either system, of course practical considerations come into play to dictate how it is actually done.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sensorless motors still "sense" the rotor position, they just use the back EMF to do so. The sensored motors have Hall effect sensors in them to detect the position of the rotor, report those reading to the ESC which then fires the segments accordingly.

This is probably an oversimplification, but should give you the gist of it.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote