R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #76
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow look at you getting the most out of the multiquote option!

You said a lot of stuff which is mostly true, but I think you have the same problem many other people have, which is a lack of the sense of proportion.

The best example I can give is this. You said you would rather watch a 30 minute off road A main than an hour of pro golf. Probably true for you and many other people on this board.

But look at the ratings of golf shows. There are way more people out there willing to watch golf than RC racing. That's why the golf show will get all the sponsors and all the money. The sponsors will get something in return.

You're not going to make RC popular because it's on TV. RC racing has to become popular enough to be put on TV.

Hey question which camera did you get and where? This is something I'm looking to try at my local track. Like I said it's not a bad idea, it just needs to be nutured a bit.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrg View Post
and clubs and tracks don't make money.
I don't believe that is an accurate statement. Well run clubs and tracks do make a profit. In fact, I believe the majority of the clubs in a 300 mile radius of our shop, make money (can't speak for everybody). They manage to buy new carpet, build new barriers, update computer equipment and software, buy season trophies, and through their profits, they build, grow and improve the club and the quality of racing in their area.

Racing flourishes where it's fun. Dies where it is not. Same with any other activity, doesn't have to be RC, could be motocross, paintball, makes no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Still say just 100 retail hobby clerk`s sponsored by a smart manufacture would sell more product for that manufacture compared to what a Barry Baker could do for them.....
And until it happens we both get to speculate and technically neither of us is right or wrong.

But I will add once again, that unless you're doing it for the #1 winning manufacturer in your area, the minute the guy shows up at the track with some car that isn't in the hunt (that you sold him, and told him it would kick butt), you're gonna lose whatever credibility you may have had. And the companys with cars in the hunt don't really need to do a program like that.

Add to that, you as the hobby shop need to lay out money to utterly support the different car, AND all the other cars. Save $20 on your car, spend $5000 to stock parts for it. Maybe that is a winning formula for a manufacturer... hmmm... Because the customer you sold the funky car to is going to want to know what you stock to fix it.

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #78
Tech Addict

Default video taping

This thread seems to be going in a lot of different directions. I'll address one of them. As far as RC getting promoted via tv, I'll tell you what my experience has been.
I produced a video way back in the day aimed at promoting "parking lot bashing" as offroad was the dominate force at the time and I realized that the average kid couldn't maintain an offroad track in his neighborhood. It was called "Run With the Big Dogs" . We got a bunch of young newbs together and started racing in parking lots with converted offroad cars. We taped their progression and at the end of the video did a road trip to some big local events. With the same cars we raced dirt oval, transmission class on-road, and offroad. Cheap racing. Back then we had classes you could competitively do that in.
By the end of the season some of the newbs were getting solid places in A-mains in classes that went to C. The video followed it all.
We spent $7000 putting a couple of adds in RCCA and got quite a bit of interest. However, our phone order/credit card processing vendor dropped the ball and we lost a HUGE amount of orders. The project lost money so I couldn't do it again for quite a while.
However, I used it as a resume to get a job in Nascar in Charlotte, NC. I worked for Buck and Buddy Baker. You know what, I ran into MANY MANY Nascar guys that were closet RC racers. THATS the video I wish I could have produced. A documentary about NASCAR employed racers doing the RC thing in their spare time. Considering the you-know-who's in Nascar that are openly out of the closet about their love of RC - I'd like to think its time.

I went on to lose more money attempting the RC video thing a few more times. And I'm going to do it again this weekend.
I currently live in Omaha and my home track is hosting the Carpet Nats right now. So what should I be pointing my camera at? I just got back from hanging out at tech inspections..... hmmmm.
Me and my cam are ready.......
jasons56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 02:36 AM   #79
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via AIM to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via MSN to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked-Wayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post

You said a lot of stuff which is mostly true, but I think you have the same problem many other people have, which is a lack of the sense of proportion.

The best example I can give is this. You said you would rather watch a 30 minute off road A main than an hour of pro golf. Probably true for you and many other people on this board.

But look at the ratings of golf shows. There are way more people out there willing to watch golf than RC racing. That's why the golf show will get all the sponsors and all the money. The sponsors will get something in return.

You're not going to make RC popular because it's on TV. RC racing has to become popular enough to be put on TV.

Hey question which camera did you get and where? This is something I'm looking to try at my local track. Like I said it's not a bad idea, it just needs to be nutured a bit.
Yes multiquote is a great option.

I do understand what your saying and I am looking to make rc popular enough to put on tv. It might take some time of course and alot of help but I want to do it. The novak race here gets alot of viewers that some don't even own rc's at all. Some of them do but many of them don't.

As for the camera I honestly can't remember, that was about 3 years ago now. My friend and I picked up the camera from a place just outside of Madison, WI. I didn't own it myself either so I can't look up the number. All I know was it was the perfect camera for filming our tv show with. I wish I had money for a few cameras, I would set them up for the novak race. I have access to a switcher, monitors, dvd & vhs/High 8 recorders but no cameras. I could setup six different cameras.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 03-13-2008, 03:08 AM   #80
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons56 View Post
"Run With the Big Dogs"
I think I have that DVD in my personal stash.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:53 AM   #81
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
I think I have that DVD in my personal stash.
Do me a favor, and don't show it to anyone.
I showed my wife some of it the other night. She couldn't stop laughing.
For anyone thats familiar with late 80's skating videos - I was trying for the RC version of those. Pretty cheesy by today's standards.
Even funnier to me is the advert we put in RCCA. In the pic is a pack of SCR 1400's that have been so beat on that the shrink wrap on the cells is starting to peel..... Things have become SO much more perfectionistic these days.
But the ad worked! I would have sold 5000 copies if the company processing the orders wouldn't have dropped the ball.
Bob, are you in Omaha this weekend?
Old 03-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #82
Tech Elite

Quote:
Bob, are you in Omaha this weekend?
Nope, had to bail at the last minute. Turns out my son has missed to much school due to racing and this would have been another week...again... SOOoo, had to do the right thing and not go. Education needs to come first... I guess...

Old 03-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #83
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
Nope, had to bail at the last minute. Turns out my son has missed to much school due to racing and this would have been another week...again... SOOoo, had to do the right thing and not go. Education needs to come first... I guess...
Yep. I'm taking my 6yr old to the track in a few minutes for my kind of education.

I saw some people yesterday with some Stormer Racing logos adorning their pits that were pretty cool when I was nosing around with my camera. Wondered if it was you? I'm guessing you know em?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #84
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

I don;t know jim, looks like we were getting the most out of the multiqute..

+2 for you
+2 for me....
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #85
Tech Elite

Quote:
I saw some people yesterday with some Stormer Racing logos adorning their pits that were pretty cool when I was nosing around with my camera. Wondered if it was you? I'm guessing you know em?
Hard to say. It's possible though.

We've always feel it's very thoughtful of people to pop our swag on their cars.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #86
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
I don;t know jim, looks like we were getting the most out of the multiqute..

+2 for you
+2 for me....
Yea but W-W did 10 multiquotes in one post! That's gotta be a record!
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:13 AM   #87
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Instead of sponsoring dozen`s if not hundreds of sponsored driver`s to promote your products......(expensive and ineffective)

Make a company program that will give substantial discounts to hobby shop & track employees in order to promote your products more effectively...

Will make real results for your company !

These store & track employees will promote your products directly to your customer`s and bring brand loyalty gains that will insure your products success ....

Just a idea ....

Would work though .....
Cherry, I do think you have the right idea. From first hand experience, I can tell you that sponsoring lots of drivers has its advantages and disadvantages. Most small r/c compaies do it because they don't have the funds to put up front to pay for advertising for their product. For many companies, it does initially sell products, but later ends up being counterproductive. People get turned off when a company sponsors too many drivers in their area. Heck I've been big races where 80% of the field was sponsored by one company. (not naming names tho) That's pretty bad in my opinion.
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #88
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via AIM to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via MSN to Wicked-Wayz Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked-Wayz

Quote:
Yea but W-W did 10 multiquotes in one post! That's gotta be a record!
Hey I was gonna do more but couldn't figure out what else to say.

Peace Aaron(W-W)
Old 03-15-2008, 07:38 PM   #89
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default rc on tv

Let's see. RC on tv. Let's show a bunch of grown men playing with toy cars that 99% of the population thinks only kids should be playing with. You have to remember, outside the r/c hobby, most people think that r/c cars are the radio shack toys that kids get for christmas.

In terms of people saying r/c should be on tv because golf is -> well, golf is a sport, r/c is a hobby. The closest activity to r/c racing is video games, and there are far more people that play video games seriously. There are a few shows on cable that show gamers playing, but that lends itself more to t/v and cheap production because you can simply broadcast the video feed from the game.

In terms of tracks making money, I don't know of a single track that has made money on its own. Most tracks siphen money from a hobby shop that would frankly make more money if the track wasn't there. And stand alone tracks? Which ones make any money? There are many reasons for this, but the primary one seems to be that racers spend whatever they think it takes to win on their equipment, but won't pay another $5 to race.

Frankly, given the size of the r/c car racing market in general, I am surprised that any manufacturers outside of the biggest handful make any money at all.

The best way for a company to gain market share is for the r/c market to grow.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:06 AM   #90
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuber View Post
Cherry, I do think you have the right idea. From first hand experience, I can tell you that sponsoring lots of drivers has its advantages and disadvantages. Most small r/c compaies do it because they don't have the funds to put up front to pay for advertising for their product. For many companies, it does initially sell products, but later ends up being counterproductive. People get turned off when a company sponsors too many drivers in their area. Heck I've been big races where 80% of the field was sponsored by one company. (not naming names tho) That's pretty bad in my opinion.
what about a series with a spec tyre and motor? Do these qualify too? Flooding everyone in the series with a cheaper tyre and motor to promote the product?

Bye bye spec racing? Bad move.... Same kind of setup, in the respect that the product is being raced but at a cheaper than LHS price - deployed differently though.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote