R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #46
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus2000 View Post
take dual circuits for example (ever seen two real life size rally vehicles racing against each other but on different parallel tracks?, they do this usually inside a stadium to show off the vehicles to the crowd), so why not innovate track construction too? why not have a section for dual circuits, or a detour for the rallys should they want to skip the big jumps...

just my thoughts.
Sounds like the Gravedigger event, they set up dual tracks like Monster Truck events, one on one eliminations. From what I've read, it's a blast.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
racers don't support the shows, it is the advertisments. Just like NASCAR, the racers don't pay the advertisers do. In addition, the show does not have to be on cable. RCTV does thier show off the internet before "podcasting" was even a term. RCCA has a YouTube channel to show off tech tips.

Maybe it is time that the ROAR starts promoting itself with a internet TV show. I would much rather have a production team present the races than having to do endless youtube searches for footage that is of poor quality.
Advertisers will only buy time on TV shows if somebody is watching.

The type of video you're looking for is expensive to produce. While it's a good idea, ROAR doesn't have those resources yet.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default thoughts

If you want to improve your market share in the r/c community, how about:
1) create a better product, and
2) offer it cheaper than the competition.

OR, you can do either 1 of the above. Creating the same product as the competition, and charging the same price will only get you some initial sales as some racers will buy your wares hoping to get faster. Of course those same racers will jump ship as soon as the next "big thing" is released.

Another good way (sarcasm) is to get posters on rctech.net to praise your product and say that their lap times decreased by .1 seconds once they started thinking about using your products, and another .1 seconds once they started to actually use it.

Like everything else in marketing, either build a better mousetrap, or cut the price.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #49
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
There aren't enough racers to support that type of show. More than 90% of people with RC cars do not race.
And 99% of people who don't own cars do race them either....
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #50
Tech Regular

All I can say is after the last 2 years it has seemed that money is tight no - matter what sponsorship or local support is given. If a hobby shop and raceway doesn't have the people it suffers. The racers keep it it alive and as long as they do that's awesome. To get new people in the hobby when time's are tough . good luck.. I'm 32 now and can remember racing 59.00 1/12th scales back in the day!!! I still spent more back then then I do do now!!
burm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #51
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Nay0k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Sounds like the Gravedigger event, they set up dual tracks like Monster Truck events, one on one eliminations. From what I've read, it's a blast.
I was thinking of something like this too. How about a double elimination style tournament where there are tons of short 1on1 races to determine the winner? It's an interesting concept to work with in my opinion, somebody should try it.
Nay0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #52
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbspeterson View Post
Whats wrong with the hoff????
Mike Wise for President '08

R.I.P. Tommy Kraimer, 28 time UK Champion, 4 time JMRCA champion, and engineering mastermind behind the TKX-10. The world will never be the same.
Zaner24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #53
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Barry Baker verses hundreds of retail hobby clerks across the USA ....

Which one really has the power to make the difference for your companys market share of the r/c community ?

Think about it ?

Sponsored racer`s really are a poor method of retail marketing & promotion....

how many local guys switched to AE when scotty brown switch from losi to AE, how many more switched when chris bridgewater did the same.
thanks to the local panther tires sponsered drivers the panther tire is now the tire of choice at our local track, barry baker may not have that big of a impact SOME local guys, but your local sponsered drivers sure as hell do.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
Make a company program that will give substantial discounts to hobby shop & track employees in order to promote your products more effectively
I don't think your idea would work, but RC companies should at least make an effort to level the playing field between the online distributors and lhs/tracks for the good of the hobby.

Quote:
Manufacturers should not be sponsoring racers.

They should be sponsoring races.
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike View Post
Not only from a winning aspect but also from a support aspect. If companies pick the drivers they sponsor wisely I think it has a pretty big impact at a local level even if that driver isn't winning national championships. Giving a local "hotshoe" a free or highly discounted car and then having that person support local racers with setups and some basic parts for the life of that car is pretty damn cheap and effective PR for an RC car manufacturer. I'd rather the hobbyshop employees have less bias.
Emphasis mine. Wisely is the key word. For every sponsored driver who does a great job promoting the companies that sponsor him and the hobby in general at the local level, there are five sponsored guys who won't even make eye contact with a noob much less help him with his set-up. Just because they whored themselves out to a few companies in order to get a discount, they think they're better than the privateers and noobs. They usually only sit by each other like they're an exclusive click in a high school cafeteria. I love it when I put the smackdown on one of those pricks.
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #55
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Advertisers will only buy time on TV shows if somebody is watching.

The type of video you're looking for is expensive to produce. While it's a good idea, ROAR doesn't have those resources yet.
Quit your nay-saying and start doing something to PROMOTE ROAR.

I have a YouTube Channel and all it cost me is $500 for the damn camera I bought to record my wedding.

If it is a ROAR sponsered event then by all means, ROAR should have a camera man out there asking racers questions,searching the pits for tips and tricks, and showing the A-mains.

You'll be surprized at how much exposure just having a YouTube channel will do for racing.

Quote:
There aren't enough racers to support that type of show. More than 90% of people with RC cars do not race.
The same applies with all the other hobbies. NASCAR, more than 90% people with cars don't race but they own real cars. Quads and 4-wheeling, same thing. Tennis? Golf? Get real with your self and find a solution. ROAR can market itself and the hobby with very little outlay. RCCA does it every day with its tech channel, every day! I am sure if it was not cheap to do, the wouldn't be doing it! http://www.youtube.com/user/AirAgeMedia1
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #56
Tech Champion

Once you have a sponsor or sponsors, if you present yourself well, understand the product you are promoting, help out others around you and do well with the said product sponsorship there's no reason why things will end.

There is no "you and us" when sponsored and unsponsored racers gather at the track unless:

a) unsponsored racers are jealous and / or have something against the sponsored racer.
b) sponsored racers make the other racers feel like the slower racer
c) sponsored racers turn up, race and go home without making an effort to help the said club or chat to the locals.

Personally, I will race, help anyone who asks for help or step in to offer help if I see someone having a bad day and enjoy the atmosphere

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:38 AM   #57
Tech Adept

Default www.rctvlive.com

www.rctvlive.com has done everything that has been mentioned on here:

1. Got EA video games and Pepsi as sponsors (companies outside rc)
2. was on pbs around the country for years
3. does tech tips interviews and race stuff
4. even has girls sometimes with big boobs
5. specials on the speed channel

the list goes on. most guys want to race and not watch. the hosts mention ROAR all the time. why worry about all this crap. go out and have fun.

this is a hobby. there are shows out there now for us to watch. Racing tv is great from europe. www.rctvlive.com from the us. these shows are here just watch them. Tell a friend to watch.

Go out get off the internet for a while and run your cars. watch rc racing and www.rctvlive.com when you do get on the internet. nuff said
microcrazy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
Quit your nay-saying and start doing something to PROMOTE ROAR.

I have a YouTube Channel and all it cost me is $500 for the damn camera I bought to record my wedding.

If it is a ROAR sponsered event then by all means, ROAR should have a camera man out there asking racers questions,searching the pits for tips and tricks, and showing the A-mains.

You'll be surprized at how much exposure just having a YouTube channel will do for racing.

The same applies with all the other hobbies. NASCAR, more than 90% people with cars don't race but they own real cars. Quads and 4-wheeling, same thing. Tennis? Golf? Get real with your self and find a solution. ROAR can market itself and the hobby with very little outlay. RCCA does it every day with its tech channel, every day! I am sure if it was not cheap to do, the wouldn't be doing it! http://www.youtube.com/user/AirAgeMedia1
First of all, you don't know me, so you don't know what I do to promote RC racing.

Yes you can buy a video camera for $500, but you would get the quality that someone has already complained about. A good pro-sumer camera will set you back over $1K.

ROAR does not sponsor events, they sanction events. ROAR lays out a ton of money to get the race management team to each race. Now you want to send a cameraman? Who's going to pay for him (her)? Who's paying the travel expenses? Hotel room? Meals?

There have already been several attempts at recording RC events, the best of which is Ray Woods Videos. Ray does an amazing job of producing videos of events, including ROAR nats and IFMAR World events. How many DVD's of his do you own?

NASCAR is not a hobby, it is a sport. And there are way more people who own quads and dirt bikes, or play tennis or golf than own RC cars. Those sports get national attention because they are so popular, not the other way around.

ROAR may not do video, but they have teamed with Live RC to bring over the internet live scoring and audio (and if you pay for it video) of every national event this year.

It's not that you don't have a good idea, it's just not feasable yet.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

There is no better way to advertise r/c then to let bystanders run a hobby grade car. Perhaps you could set up an oval w/ 1000gram tcs(2100lipo & silver can motor, they are much more durable then 1500gram tcs). I'm sure you could make a flatbed w/ fold down sides & stick a good 50x40ft. oval on top of it so you could set up anywhere.
The best crowd to target would be fans of full scale racing because many of them already wrench in their spare time. Just imagine if you set up outside a nascar event w/ 20 cars rapped just like the nascars & then you offered $500 & a hobby grade r/c car to the guy who turned the most laps in 5 minutes during the day. Now, something like this could draw alot of attention from nascar fans. Do you believe that a fortune 500 company would like their name plastered to that oval & the side of that flatbed? If so then perhaps they could also pay for that prime advertising spot as well. If you attended a nascar event would you try the "company x" challenge? Then when they hand you a flyer on the "company x" challenge would you go to that website w/ tons of info on the cars & contact info for the lhs?
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #60
Tech Fanatic

Jim, Its all economics

ROAR can't afford to promote through a video website.
I don't find enough comsumer satisfaction to justify $37 for a video.

I am sure there is a lower price that is less elastic and will net more in total sales. That price could be free to viewers and paid for by the advertisments. If it was not possible to tape the race and break even, why would Ray Wood be doing it and why not ROAR?
trailranger is offline   Reply With Quote