R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-09-2003, 11:07 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to zachzachz
Default Motor maintainence and cleaning...

I went to my local hobby shop today to get some stuff to clean my motor because it's very dirty. I got some dynamite magnum force2 motor spray. The lady said I would also need a comm cleaner, so I got one of those too. When I cleaned my motor I stuck the comm cleaner in one of my brush holes and turned the pinion. When I took the comm cleaner out it was a little black. I did this for both brush holes. Then I sprayed my motor with the spray in the holes on the back. The spray got all over the place and motor. I also sprayed in the brush holes. I can see that my commutator is still black though. Did I clean my motor right? Also I've heard stuff about oiling motors, should I do this and if so how?

Zach

By the way it was my first time cleaning my motor
zachzachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:18 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

sounds like you need your comm needs to be cut if theres that much "black" stuff
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 02:45 AM   #3
sup
Tech Addict

http://www.teamrcv.com/modules.php?o...ticles&secid=3

i find this a very useful site. check it out..
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 05:21 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Big Jims way of cleaning motors is a bit hardcore for most of us.

Basically, zachzachz, your problem is a really filthy motor. Try cleaning it again, but if it just won't come any way near clean with the comm stick (which won't wear the comm itself noticeably, just clean it), then you need a skim, and new brushes. If your motor is rebuildable, a local race-oriented shop, or someone at a local club should be able to do it. If it's a sealed motor then you probably won't find anyone that can skim it. If the motor is rebuildable, you can take it apart (just remember how things were assembled in the first place, especially the timing angle on a modified motor), and clean it a bit more thoroughly with the motor cleaner and some cotton buds. When you put it back together again, put a drop of oil on both bearings.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:17 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to zachzachz

I have a non rebuildable stock motor (the one that came with my xxx-s). So if I cant take it apart I cant oil my bearings in my motor right? Also that site was great sup. Answered a lot of other questions I had.

Zach
zachzachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:19 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Yes, you can oil the bearings, they're on each end of the motor, not in the middle.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:59 PM   #7
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Basically blast the hell out of it with motor spray, keep going till clean spray comes out of the motor. After that put a drop or two of oil where the ends of the armatures go into the can(where the bearings are). Then use your comm stick and clean the comm as much as possible with the comm stick. Also clean the ends of your brushes (or get new brushes) using either an eraser or the comm stick(make sure you do it lightly or you may damage the brushes). Put the brushes back in and then run in the motor with no load at very slow speed for a few minutes.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 05:26 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by fatdoggy
Basically blast the hell out of it with motor spray, keep going till clean spray comes out of the motor. After that put a drop or two of oil where the ends of the armatures go into the can(where the bearings are). Then use your comm stick and clean the comm as much as possible with the comm stick. Also clean the ends of your brushes (or get new brushes) using either an eraser or the comm stick(make sure you do it lightly or you may damage the brushes). Put the brushes back in and then run in the motor with no load at very slow speed for a few minutes.
Pretty much sums it up - you can't do any more with a sealed motor!