R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-07-2008, 02:46 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Exclamation novak 3.5R 10,500Kv vs. mamba max 7700Kv

hi there! just wondering if you have some opinion for this type of brushless motor? [novak 3.5R 10,500Kv vs. mamba max 7700Kv] i need to know which is more powerfull enough for drags and what are the dis-advantages and advantages... pls!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

use the mamba max 7700 on four cell lipo (2000-2250mah) for drags. that's the current record setting setup in the extreme class. another fast set up is the mamba max 5700 on six cell lipo. it will stay with the 7700 and if you can put the power to the ground it will probably go even quicker.

castle link programming is awesome as long as you have a computer.
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Default thanks!

but isnt the higher the Kv is the most powerful motor you can get? and beside legal or illegal for drad racing i just want a set up will finish the line for fun...
if you say it depends on gearing, lets say you have the best gearing then would it help a lot if you have a bigger/powerful motor?
i heared lipo's catches fire and not safe but the normall cells and higher mah does better job is it?
Old 03-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Valentin.H

lipos can catch fire, but so can nimh. if you think about it, lipos take just as much work to care as nimh. actually i feel like it's less work to manage lipos than nimh..you just have to be careful and not careless. then you wont have a problem with running lipo
Valentin.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4fusion View Post
but isnt the higher the Kv is the most powerful motor you can get? and beside legal or illegal for drad racing i just want a set up will finish the line for fun...
if you say it depends on gearing, lets say you have the best gearing then would it help a lot if you have a bigger/powerful motor?
i heared lipo's catches fire and not safe but the normall cells and higher mah does better job is it?
Higher KV doesn't mean it is more powerful, it just means it will turn faster on a given voltage. Look at the Neu motors being used in 1/8th scale buggy conversions, Ones with KVs of 2600 are rated at 1-2 HP (750-1500 watts). Much more than any Novak motor but a lower KV.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:17 AM   #6
Tech Elite

The more you put in the more comes out.
Get a Neu motor, something that runs nice on 6s LIPO.

Remember that the mighty magic smoke tells you you've put in too much!
Old 03-08-2008, 04:45 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Default wow

well, im still confused... Is it more turn is more speed that means power?

example;
if I have a 7700 mamba max with 6cells and if race it with novak 10,500kv 3.5R in same 6cells capacity on mamba max and same car and gearing. who would win?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:51 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)
Default best

Your question really comes down to which speed control can handle the most amps without melting. I would have to say the mamba would handle more amps without burning up. I have ran both and both will put out enough power to win races if the car can handle it. Now put 3 lipo cells on the max and it will dust the 3.5 which you can't run over 6 cells.
latemodel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:19 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
well, im still confused... Is it more turn is more speed that means power?

example;
if I have a 7700 mamba max with 6cells and if race it with novak 10,500kv 3.5R in same 6cells capacity on mamba max and same car and gearing. who would win?
From my experience the Novak is quicker in road course racing (with both within the rules (6 cell etc)) but you can get more top speed out of the Mamba. For drags and speed runs you need something with low KV so you can put heaps of voltage through it without the rotor exploding from too high rpm. Thats why the Novak and Mamba are rated for only 6 cell nimh or 2 cell lipo (i think the Mamba's actually 8 cell nimh and that would be quick but not enough for drags). If you are actually using a drag car and racing on a proper drag strip then look for a low KV motor on high voltage, if you are draging some mates then get the Mamba and run 8 cell nimh.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemodel13 View Post
Your question really comes down to which speed control can handle the most amps without melting. I would have to say the mamba would handle more amps without burning up. I have ran both and both will put out enough power to win races if the car can handle it. Now put 3 lipo cells on the max and it will dust the 3.5 which you can't run over 6 cells.
They only recomend a 2 cell lipo for the 7700 also.
Chill_Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:07 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by latemodel13 View Post
ok, you wer say'n it will put out enough power to win the race but if I run 3 lipo cells on max it will dust the novak. but what about if I run with 3 lipo on novak for sure it will dust the max, is it?

plus if they have same good speed controller still the novak will win first right?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:24 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdc90 View Post
From my experience the Novak is quicker in road course racing (with both within the rules (6 cell etc)) but you can get more top speed out of the Mamba. For drags and speed runs you need something with low KV so you can put heaps of voltage through it without the rotor exploding from too high rpm. Thats why the Novak and Mamba are rated for only 6 cell nimh or 2 cell lipo (i think the Mamba's actually 8 cell nimh and that would be quick but not enough for drags). If you are actually using a drag car and racing on a proper drag strip then look for a low KV motor on high voltage, if you are draging some mates then get the Mamba and run 8 cell nimh.
ok, im getting there....
you wer say'n the novak is quicker on road but I can make the max to go heaps hard on top end, why can I do that too on novak? that would go harder too for sure right?
you wer saying I need lower Kv for drag so I can put more voltage without exploding, well if I get the higher Kv and no need to put higher voltage that would go same speed right?
may I ask what is difference on speed cars and drag cars? isn't on drag cars you need spped to finish first but surely you'll have good torque...

well, here's the real thing, if I have the novak what the maximum cells or lipo I can run on this to get the maximum power out of it?

second, what is the maximum cells or lipo I can run into mamba max to get the maximum power out of it?
Old 03-09-2008, 03:27 AM   #13
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK.hardcore View Post
The more you put in the more comes out.
Get a Neu motor, something that runs nice on 6s LIPO.

Remember that the mighty magic smoke tells you you've put in too much!
my friend, what type of motor is this?
Old 03-09-2008, 06:50 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can't compare 7700 and 3.5 just based on kv, because they are completely different motors. They behave differently under load. Just look at it like this: the novak will drop rpm bad under load while the 7700 keeps on cranking.

If that doesn't work for you, consider that the 7700 can be geared higher... also why you can get more top end. It just has more horsepower, period. You just have to fiind the right gearing to take advantage of the power.
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
my friend, what type of motor is this?
www.neumotors.com
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote